Help Choosing Between Faber Castell Basic Vs. Loom

smodtactical

I have read a lot about both of these pens and have got mixed information. Many people say the nibs are identical on the FC basic and loom but SBRE Brown did a shootout between these pens and said the Loom is smoother (although the basic is still a smooth pen).

My dilemma is I like the idea of a big heavy pen (FC Basic metal version) but I also want maximum smoothness (FC Loom).

What do you guys think between these two pens? If the nib smoothness is identical like a few say Ill go with the basic in metal but if not I think I'll buy a loom in black.

Thanks for your input.

• Replies 12
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• smodtactical

• Fabienne

• migo984

• Glenn Atkins

I have read a lot about both of these pens and have got mixed information. Many people say the nibs are identical on the FC basic and loom but SBRE Brown did a shootout between these pens and said the Loom is smoother (although the basic is still a smooth pen).

My dilemma is I like the idea of a big heavy pen (FC Basic metal version) but I also want maximum smoothness (FC Loom).

What do you guys think between these two pens? If the nib smoothness is identical like a few say Ill go with the basic in metal but if not I think I'll buy a loom in black.

Thanks for your input.

Smooth is a subjective matter, and not every pens behave the same, even in the same product line. Nibs are finished by hand, so the final results are varied.

So if you like the big, heavy pen, go for it. About the smoothness, if it is not smooth as you wish out of thr box, you could either send it to a nibs master to adjust or learn to adjust yourself.

I have had a Loom and was mightily impressed. Love the look of the Basic Carbon. Both can be had for under 50USD...win-win! You can't lose with either one, and cheap enough to have both. Sorry if this enables....not. Honestly, you'll be happy with either and doubly happy with both.

http://img525.imageshack.us/img525/606/letterji9.png

I have never let my schooling interfere with my education.

Mark Twain

I have both. Don't like the grip on the Loom - too slippery. The Basic is well made & really nice to handle. I have the Carbon with a very good EF nib: not scratchy at all but gives some feedback, as I like them. I do not like my nibs to be ultra smooth. Hate that skatey feel. The Basic strikes the right balance & is just right.

Verba volant, scripta manent

I agree with Migo984. The Loom was a nightmare for me because of the grip. Both are very heavy and not super ink holders (don't hold massive amounts of ink) so I have to say that they are not my dream pens. Sorry, but that is the truth.

It's for Yew!bastardchildlil.jpg

I agree with Migo984 anf Fabienne. I have both, the the grip on the loom is indeed extremely slippery, even to the point where the pen actually rotates in my fingers while writing. I put a bit of tape over it for while for better grip, it works but it looks silly. The neoprene grip on the Basic is much better but as SBRE already points out, beware of ink in the grooves. I fill the converter separately. Takes only a few minutes to sink into the feed.

Regarding the nibs, I can confirm that they are identical. The Basic Carbon came with a B, the Loom with an M and I could just swap them. So the Basic, also the slightly lighter carbon version, is in rotation, the Loom is waiting for a buyer.

Thanks so much for all the input guys. Because of the feedback of the slippy grip on the loom I decided to go for the FC Basic in polished metal. :) I have a feeling this is going to be my nicest FP yet. :)

I have the Loom, but have not had any problem with my grip - but my hands rarely perspire. Of course, living in a dry environment helps. My Loom is very smooth, especially after cleaning the first time in a pen flush and running a thin brass sheet between the tines to get out any metal shavings and stuff from manufacturing. I have a fine point. It is a good, hard working pen.

I don't have the Basic. I chose the Loom over the Basic.

"Today will be gone in less than 24 hours. When it is gone, it is gone. Be wise, but enjoy! - anonymous today

I had both and they are very heavy pens. I always get hand cramps when I am using them, so I gave them away.

But the nibs are really nice.

The Loom looks better, but the grip is a bit slippery.

The grip on the Basic can crack (have seen it twice by other people).

Had both and flipped both but not b/c of the nibs (both of which were outstanding).

Loom: I could not hold on to the thing. Otherwise an amazing little pen but the section was deadly for me.

Basic: It was butt-heavy making it unwieldily. A very heavy pen but all the weight is in the back of the pen making it very poorly balanced. I also was not keen on dipping that rubbery section in to the ink to fill it. But again sold build and excellent nib.

I ended up with an Ondoro, which I oddly like and is not the ergonomic nightmare the other 2 were. Like the other 2, great nib and great build quality but this was for me much easier to hold. I had doubts about how it would hold up (I got the wood one) and it is really a solid build. Looks like new and I have not coddled it at all.

Looking for a cap for a Sheaffer Touchdown Sentinel Deluxe Fat version

• 4 years later...

I'd suggest you steer clear of the Loom. The grip feels like your on the ledge of something, all the time.

• 4 weeks later...

Had both and flipped both but not b/c of the nibs (both of which were outstanding).

Loom: I could not hold on to the thing. Otherwise an amazing little pen but the section was deadly for me.

Basic: It was butt-heavy making it unwieldily. A very heavy pen but all the weight is in the back of the pen making it very poorly balanced. I also was not keen on dipping that rubbery section in to the ink to fill it. But again sold build and excellent nib.

I ended up with an Ondoro, which I oddly like and is not the ergonomic nightmare the other 2 were. Like the other 2, great nib and great build quality but this was for me much easier to hold. I had doubts about how it would hold up (I got the wood one) and it is really a solid build. Looks like new and I have not coddled it at all.

Have you had any dry up issues?