Need Help Choosing Workhorse Pen!

jayFP

The Italix Parson's Essential, £ 39 in UK (+ shipping), is a solid FP made in China and finished in UK, and offers a very large range of nibs where you should find what you need!

• Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• jayFP

• KBeezie

• Sergio 46

• prf5

Top Posters In This Topic

Everyone has given some grand recommendations, but try to keep in mind that most fountain pen ink will feather on low quality paper. As someone mentioned, use a western extra fine nib or a Japanese fine nib to reduce feathering and search out inks that hold up well on cheap paper (that can be another thread or simple search the thread for ). You can also find many fountain pen friendly paper at affordable prices too.

Much luck to you!

Ink, a drug.

― Vladimir Nabokov, Bend Sinister

Instagram:
a.transient.life

I would suggest a TWSBI Diamond 580 or a Pelikan M200. Both are available locally, if you know where to look.

Visit the local stores here, like Fook Hing at Bras Basah. They are knowledgeable and will be able to advise you accordingly.

In addition, join the local FP group on FB: Singapore Fountain Pen Lovers (SFPL).

Enjoy, and keep writing.

~Epic

Great pens with a nod to the 580 as far as my own viewpoint.

Anyone like Ray Bradbury? Please read "The Laurel and Hardy Love Affair" if you have about 12 minutes.

You will not forget this wonderful gem that is largely obscure and sadly, forgotten. http://bit.ly/1DZtL4g

To the OP, since it sounds as if you are forced to use cheapo copy paper that is one grade above a paper towel, here are two links to threads that can help with the ink part of pen/ink/paper equation. Best wishes in school and with the fountain pen adventure!

https://www.fountainpennetwork.com/forum/topic/293440-best-ink-for-new-college-student/

https://www.fountainpennetwork.com/forum/topic/294710-everyday-college-ink/

Any Pelikan M series with a gold nib. These are work horses. Piston filler, nib screws off easily, clip is functional, great writing experience. Plus any size you want. :D

You can find an M400 for around $150 on ebay. Any year will do.

Edited by F_Rizzo

You might do well to get a pen with a simple ebonite feed that is friction-fit, and fill it with an iron-gall ink, such as Rohrer & Klinger Salix or Scabiosa, or Registrar's Ink from Diamine or Ecclesiastical Stationery Supplies, or any of the iron-gall inks from KWZI. Iron gall inks have their issues. They are prone to solid precipitates, and can be hard to clean out if you allow them to dry up in the pen. However, they are also relatively dry, and much less prone to feathering than other inks. Additionally, once dry, they are largely waterproof. Older bottles of MontBlanc, Lamy, or Pelikan Blue-Black may also be iron-gall.

The point of a simple, friction-fit ebonite feed is that it's relatively easy to pull out and scrub if you ever do find it filled up with precipitates. Most people who regularly use a pen with iron-gall inks do not have significant problems in this regard.

Well, Merriam-Webster has a definition for workhorse as being "something that is markedly useful, durable, or dependable." It seems that a couple of inexpensive Esterbrooks would fit all three of those requirements.

Looking for a black SJ Transitional Esterbrook Pen. (It's smaller than an sj)

Any Pelikan M series with a gold nib. These are work horses. Piston filler, nib screws off easily, clip is functional, great writing experience. Plus any size you want. :D

You can find an M400 for around $150 on ebay. Any year will do.

I like my Pelikans. I also note that they tend to be wet writers, so you have to pay attention to ink/nib/paper combination to keep from feathering and bleeding horribly on awful papers.

Thanks for all suggestions

Decided to try out the Lamy 2000 ef and the Sailor 1911 Standard F

If all else fails, i would probably just pickup the M200nib in EF

Thanks again for your suggestions

I love the Pilot 74, but my favorite pen is the Lamy 2000. That is the pen I use for most of my writing.

You asked about bleeding and such. My experience is that the pen isn't the problem. The biggest problem is the ink. Noodler's Black behaves. Some other inks do not.

Proud resident of the least visited state in the nation!

EDIT - OP made the choice.

Lamy 2000 sounds a bit expensive for school if 12, unless the OP meant 21!

Edited by oneopentrail

I am also very fond of the Lamy 2000, that I have in EF, excellent FP, but I won't suggest it for school, unless your personal budget is unlimited!

I went for the decision for lamy 2000. And for some who want to know, this pen is a gift

I'm glad you actually tried out the finalists because the key to fountain pen use is the relationship between pen and writer. I started using a fountain pen at age 9. By the time I was 16, the pen that once was my workhorse was too short, fat, and unbalanced. Since then, the specs for what I'd call a workhorse pen have changed several times, for a variety of reasons.

I went for the decision for lamy 2000. And for some who want to know, this pen is a gift

Congrats on your Lamy 2000! It will definitely be an awesome workhorse for you and has amazing ink capacity too (that's why I have 5 of them, all different nib sizes EF, F, M, B, Stub, etc). Enjoy!

Thanks all of you for your suggestions!

Along the Lamy 2000 i also got a bottle of Pelikan Edelstein Sapphire

Enjoy!

I have the 2000 01(makrolon) and also the 2000 02 (stainless steel) that I received 2 days ago , the two in EF, and I am really delighted!

Congrats on your gift! The L2K is a well-regarded, durable pen with a proven design from the 1960s. The piston filler is excellent, and the semi-hooded nib is a good investment. Pelikan inks tend to run dry, so you should have better results on poor paper.

Buzz

Good choice. I'm a teacher and write on crappy paper supplied by the school and crappy paper students turn their work in. :-) My Lamy is a good, solid one. I also recommend the TWSBI 580AL if you want another one later. It's relatively inexpensive and I can use it all day.