Need Help Choosing Workhorse Pen!

jayFP

Hey guys, im new here, this is my first post

I am a young 12 year old student and have been using fountain pens for the past year and a half. Recently, my Pilot Custom 74 broke(sadly). I have noticed a problem with the Custom 74, and that is the pen is too wet and bleeds through the crappy cheapo copier paper that the teachers hand out for assignments. I need help with choosing a pen that is around the $150 range and also is understated design. It can be any nib material as long as the nib is smooth with a touch of feedback and is relatively dry. I also like a pen which is stiffer yet still slightly soft. I am thinking a XF Platinum 3776 Century but want to widen my range of pens that are suitable. Please help!! Thanks in advance ( Also no Pilot vanishing point, i don't like the clip thanks)

-Javier

Edited by jayFP

• Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• jayFP

• KBeezie

• Sergio 46

• Water Ouzel

Just wondering how many posts will be there before someone mentions a Parker 51 :D

Joke aside, beside the Parker 51, you have plenty of choice for that price range. From lower range like TWSBI Eco, 580 to mid range of Sailor profit standard/Promenade to the mighty Pelikan M200/M205/M215/M400. And of course don't forget the Lamy 2000.

Its all about taste. But for school, i would prefer a Piston filler like Pelikan or Lamy 2000.

You have a great taste in writing instruments.

I would suggest a TWSBI Diamond 580 or a Pelikan M200. Both are available locally, if you know where to look.

Visit the local stores here, like Fook Hing at Bras Basah. They are knowledgeable and will be able to advise you accordingly.

In addition, join the local FP group on FB: Singapore Fountain Pen Lovers (SFPL).

Enjoy, and keep writing.

~Epic

http://farm2.static.flickr.com/1348/557449480_2f02cc3cbb_m.jpg http://null.aleturo.com/Dumatborlon/Badges/5EH4/letter.png

A sincere man am I
From the land where palm trees grow,
And I want before I die
My soul's verses to bestow.

All those moments will be lost in time.
Like tears in rain.
Time to die.

Hi, Javier, and welcome to FPN!!

The Platinum Century 3776 is a great pen, you will not regret it. Check the nib options: Platinum produces a ultra extra fine nib.

If you like the Pilot nib, be aware that the feeling of the Platinum is quite different, giving more feed back (I like it better).

Please note that Platinum does not offer an option like the large converter CON-70. If ink capacity important, you might be willing to go with Pilot again.

amonjak.com

post-21880-0-68964400-1403173058.jpg

free 70 pages graphic novel. Enjoy!

A workhorse pen should have these:

Comfortable for long writing sessions

Large ink capacity

Feel free to add more.

Platinum pens are comfortable, but that .5ml ink capacity isn't large.

Pilot has a vacuum filler pen called pilot custom 823, which, if you are extremely lucky can be bought for $160. I bought mine for $170 including shipping I think. Holds 2.2ml of ink. Comfortable for long writing sessions, imo.

TWSBI VAC700, another vacuum filler, more or less same as custom 823 but retails for $65 and shipping would be around $35 directly from the company. Holds 2.2ml of ink.

TWSBI 580, don't know how much ink it holds.

Con-70 holds 1.1ml of ink, so you can have a look at the pens which are compatible with CON-70, I don't think I can count and name all of them.

Unless you have positive experience with hooded nibs (Parker 51 and Lamy 2000) or can try them in a store, I would stay away from them.

You don't state what size nib your Pilot 74 had. So it's not possible to determine if you're familiar with how fine Japanese nibs run. A platinum extra fine is going to be very fine indeed and you may find it scratchy, particularly on poor quality paper. Be aware that it's not just the pen and paper that are responsible for feathering and bleedthrough but also the ink. So in addition to a new pen, you might want to look for a dryer ink. I recommend Sheaffer Skrip blue-black but there are numerous discussions on this board on the relative wetness of various inks.

Other than that, $150 gives you a considerable range of options. At your price limit, you can very likely find a Pilot Custom Heritage 912 with CON-70 converter and a Fine nib (which writes like a Western extra fine) that will give you satisfaction.

The Platinum 3776 is a nice pen. And the small converter shouldn't be a problem if you carry a bottle of ink with you or extra cartridges.

Lamy Safari is my goto recommendation for school -- a fine nib is quite dry and would last you easily all day at school (and maybe another trip to the library).

Visconti Homo Sapiens; Lamy 2000; Unicomp Endurapro keyboard.

Free your mind -- go write

With your budget, I suggest you look at Franklin Christoph, especially the '02 and the Marietta. Unsurpassed writing comfort.

At lower prices the two TWSBIs mentioned, 580 and Vac 700, would be excellent, too.

It all depends on you, really. At US$150 there are a LOT of superb pens out there. Pelikans, Lamys, Pilots, Platinums, Sailors, TWSBIs (for a lot less), if you're willing to buy from the U.S. Franklin-Christoph and Edison's production line. It depends on what you want and need in a pen. I prefer lighter, more nimble pens with larger grip sections, rather large ink capacity and European fine nibs. For that, my Lamy 2000 is a great pen. Your tastes may vary.

Perhaps, if you would like a piston filler with a gold nib in Pilot's line, a Custom Heritage 92 would be a good choice. I don't have one, but they're great looking pens and can be had for around US$100 if you look around :)

Here to help when I know, learn when I don't, and pass on the information to anyone I can :)

I have noticed a problem with the Custom 74, and that is the pen is too wet and bleeds through the crappy cheapo copier paper that the teachers hand out for assignments. I need help with choosing a pen that is around the $150 range and also is understated design.

Hi and welcome. No matter what fountain pen you are using and regardless of price, you should also carry a ballpoint to class. Rather than trying to find a pen and ink combination that can accommodate all grades of paper, I would advise you to spend your money on a pen that you can pair with good or better paper, and use your ballpoint when cheap paper is the only alternative.

Hi and welcome. No matter what fountain pen you are using and regardless of price, you should also carry a ballpoint to class. Rather than trying to find a pen and ink combination that can accommodate all grades of paper, I would advise you to spend your money on a pen that you can pair with good or better paper, and use your ballpoint when cheap paper is the only alternative.

Or at least a gel/rb pen like a Pilot G2 as they tend to work on just about any paper and are easier on hand pressure than most ballpoints. (it's always good to have a backup).

Also I don't see much point in spending $150 for a workhorse, especially if it's to be a school pen and you have yet to get a feel for the size/weight/shape aspect of the pen in longer sessions that's the most comfortable. Hence why I would look at the cheaper commonly referred to 'workhorses', especially since you can carry two of them such as the Parker 45, Lamy Safari, Platinum Preppy, Pilot Varsity or Petit1, Kaweco Sport (perhaps as an ED? cartridges don't hold that much).

Far as the Custom 74 being too wet and bleedy, one of three things would need to change:

- Ink to a dryer one

- Paper to a better one

- Nib to a smaller point, or dryer nib

And those would change only if behavior factors have been taken int account, such as hand pressure, since a light hand will not need as much as bearing down on the nib like a ballpoint. For example my Pelikan 400NN with a Semi-Flex EF inked with R&K Salix worked rather well last semester when the art history professor had a habit of using coated copier paper that seemed to dry up most of my other nibs instantly, but the Salix ink goes down on wetter than the others (despite dryer flow) and resists feathering and bleeding.

But I usually avoid trying to use my fountain pens on hand-outs, they tend not to do that well, but rather that's why I pack a Pilot G2, and keep my fountain pens dedicated to the paper I control such as my notebooks.

How did your Custom 74 break ? What nib did you have on it ? How did you like the pen and nib of the Custom 74 ? What would you change ? (good basis for comparison) Do you write with a light , fountain pen touch ? Or with a heavy "ballpoint pen" touch ?

I'm sorry, but I believe "stiff" and "soft" are mutually contradictory, as are "smooth" and "feedback". Only you can decide the acceptable balance. For class work, good ink flow is a priority. If the ink stops, nothing else matters.

My "workhorse" was a slender Parker 45. The LAMY Safari is bigger and at least as good. I would hesitate in recommending the TWSBI Diamond 580 or 540, as some have experienced breakage. (I have not.) This is NOT a good "workhorse" trait. I like my new TWSBI ECO a lot, but it has just come out of production, and too early to be called a "workhorse"..

"Crappie" school paper is not fountain pen friendly. I don't know any good solutions.

$150 is substantial resource for school fountain pens. I would rather see you with two LAMY Vista fountain pens , and the five available, changeable nibs. This would leave funds for experimentation to find the best ink for your climate.

Edited by Sasha Royale

Auf freiem Grund mit freiem Volke stehn.
Zum Augenblicke dürft ich sagen:
Verweile doch, du bist so schön !

I'll second the Pelikan M200, and I'd get it with an extra fine nib. It's been my workhorse for over half my life.

--

James H. H. Lampert

Professional Dilettante

Posted Image was once a bottle of ink

Inky, Dinky, Thinky, Inky,

Blacky minky, Bottle of ink! -- Edward Lear

I was able to grab a Parker "45" on the auction site for like $18, shipped, and it pretty much defines a work horse.

Fountain pens forever and forever a hundred years fountain pens, all day long forever, forever a hundred times, over and over Fountain Pen Network Adventures dot com!

- Joe

Javier, there are so many pens from $150 on down that might fit your requirements:

- Pelikan M200/205 (they tend to be wet writers, so choosing a dry ink like Pelikan 4001 series, or Rohrer und Kingner Salix or Scabiosa, or other dryer types would be recommended).

- Lamy 2000 EF

- Edison Collier or Beaumont

- Platinum 3776 Century (F, EF, or UEF)

- Twsbi 580, Mini Classic, or Eco

Or perhaps a vintage pen, many of them available as NOS (new old stock; never sold, may need the ink sac replaced), they could run from $20 on up:

- Sheaffer Imperial II (F or EF) Touchdown filler, Sheaffer Balance (a few decades of manufacture to choose from)

- Esterbrook J, LJ, or SJ

- Wahl-Eversharp Symphony

Unless you have positive experience with hooded nibs (Parker 51 and Lamy 2000) or can try them in a store, I would stay away from them.

You don't state what size nib your Pilot 74 had. So it's not possible to determine if you're familiar with how fine Japanese nibs run. A platinum extra fine is going to be very fine indeed and you may find it scratchy, particularly on poor quality paper. Be aware that it's not just the pen and paper that are responsible for feathering and bleedthrough but also the ink. So in addition to a new pen, you might want to look for a dryer ink. I recommend Sheaffer Skrip blue-black but there are numerous discussions on this board on the relative wetness of various inks.

Other than that, $150 gives you a considerable range of options. At your price limit, you can very likely find a Pilot Custom Heritage 912 with CON-70 converter and a Fine nib (which writes like a Western extra fine) that will give you satisfaction.

The Platinum 3776 is a nice pen. And the small converter shouldn't be a problem if you carry a bottle of ink with you or extra cartridges.

Thanks for your suggestion, much appreciated! My Custom 74 nib size is M, which is too wet. I have tried different inks and they all bled ( Pelikan 4001) I maybe considering another one as the ink capacity is great! Thanks again

Thanks for your suggestion, much appreciated! My Custom 74 nib size is M, which is too wet. I have tried different inks and they all bled ( Pelikan 4001) I maybe considering another one as the ink capacity is great! Thanks again

In this case, perhaps consider a soft fine on the Custom 74. However, caveat is it can get wet when the tines spread for line variation (it is NOT a flex nib). If paper is an issue, use a Japanese F or even EF.

~Epic

http://farm2.static.flickr.com/1348/557449480_2f02cc3cbb_m.jpg http://null.aleturo.com/Dumatborlon/Badges/5EH4/letter.png

A sincere man am I
From the land where palm trees grow,
And I want before I die
My soul's verses to bestow.

All those moments will be lost in time.
Like tears in rain.
Time to die.

Lots of good options in your price range. My only recommendation is that you steer clear of TWSBI, as they have many quality control problems.

Given your particular situation, I would suggest getting a pen that you can well afford to lose, have stolen, broken etc. Maybe a Kaweco Sport (converted to eye dropper perhaps)? Save the "good" pens for more "mature" environments.

Otherwise, how about one of the Edison production pens?

Edited by Biber

"What? What's that? WHAT?!!! SPEAK UP, I CAN'T HEAR YOU!!" - Ludwig van Beethoven.