Hello From Sydney, Australia!

fireofspring

I'm Diana, a 29-year-old Ph.D student and international higher education consultant from Sydney.

A long-time stationery junkie, I've been writing with fountain pens for a few years, but only started amassing what might be called a "collection" a couple of months ago. (One OMAS, and I was hooked...)

Currently carrying in my tote bag:

• Parker Sonnet M / Diamine Twilight
  • OMAS Extra Ogive Lady M / Aurora Black
  • Pilot Custom 74 M / Faber-Castell Moss Green
  • Lamy Safari F / Iroshizuku Shin-kai
  • Lamy Safari F / Diamine Classic Red

Most recent acquisitions:

• OMAS Milord Arco Celluloid F
  • Visconti Fiorenza Lava EF
Edited by fireofspring

• Replies 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• fireofspring

• Charmian

• gordonhooker

• YugiRider2

Hello and Welcome to FPN!! Glad to have you as a member!!

PAKMAN

minibanner.gif                                    Vanness-world-final.png.c1b120b90855ce70a8fd70dd342ebc00.png

My Favorite Pen Restorer                                             My Favorite Pen Store

Vanness Pens - Selling Online!

Welcome, Diana !

My friend, Thomas, says I should wish you "G-day !"

Auf freiem Grund mit freiem Volke stehn.
Zum Augenblicke dürft ich sagen:
Verweile doch, du bist so schön !

Hello Diana,

Welcome to FPN!

I see you prefer a very fine line :)

Omas has the same effect on me. I purchased a Milord as a gift and was so impressed with the feel and balance.

Are you familiar with the art show that Graeme Stevenson has called Colour in Your Life? Dan

Welcome. I am new as well. It sounds like you are beginning with some very nice pens. I have been searching for the "perfect" red ink for day in and day out office use for some time -- I am using and really like Noodler's Dragon Napalm (really the title is the best part). How do you like Diamine Red?

Hello Diana,

Welcome to FPN!

I see you prefer a very fine line :)

Omas has the same effect on me. I purchased a Milord as a gift and was so impressed with the feel and balance.

Are you familiar with the art show that Graeme Stevenson has called Colour in Your Life? Dan

Hi Dane.

I carry around with me mostly M or F writers because my writing and notetaking is on Rhodia cahiers, consisting of blocklettering or cursive. A heavy line takes too long to dry, and is a bit too unwieldy for small blocklettering. The Parker Sonnet M I carry is specifically for bullet journaling (on A5 Rhodia cahier), because I find the line width perfect for neat, but legible blockletters on their 5mm grid; it's also just wet enough that it never skips on the smooth paper.

The Japanese M and Italian EF/F are my ideal sizes for everyday writing, I would say.

I currently have my eye on some of the OMAS celluloid from the 90s. The recent collections, with the coloured demonstrators, are a bit too brightly coloured for my tastes.

Re. Graeme Stevenson, pretty sure I've watched a couple of his videos on YouTube. I don't have a TV, so I won't have seen the TV show unless it was available online. Would you recommend the show?

Welcome. I am new as well. It sounds like you are beginning with some very nice pens. I have been searching for the "perfect" red ink for day in and day out office use for some time -- I am using and really like Noodler's Dragon Napalm (really the title is the best part). How do you like Diamine Red?

Technically, I started out with 4 Lamys in different colours and my Parker Sonnet. I still write with them daily. :) Well, maybe not all the Lamys.

I wouldn't call Dragon's Napalm a red...more a semi-flurorescent orange. I would only use that colour for underlining/editing. The glare is too uncomfortable for my eyes. Diamine Classic Red is a very neutral red, not terribly exciting tbh if you're used to Dragon's Napalm. It's a bit flat and doesn't have much "sparkle", but I can write a whole page in it without it offending my eyes.

Edited by fireofspring

Nice selection of pens - welcome to the forum enjoy your time here, I am from Brisbane a short drive north of you... :)

Nature is the one song of praise that never stops singing. - Richard Rohr

Poets don't draw. They unravel their handwriting and then tie it up again, but differently. - Jean Cocteau

Ο Θεός μ 'αγαπάς

Nice selection of pens - welcome to the forum enjoy your time here, I am from Brisbane a short drive north of you... :)

Thanks, Gordon. Are you, like me, getting killed by the recent exchange rates? :)

Sun's out, so I took some photos of the ink swatches I have for Classic Red, with Momiji and Dragon's Napalm for comparison.

http://i51.photobucket.com/albums/f391/thegrynne/FountainPenNetwork/650E9E41-DC9A-4AAC-B515-6C1BE45E1335_zpskgu7gv9u.jpg

http://i51.photobucket.com/albums/f391/thegrynne/FountainPenNetwork/33B3562E-F0E1-41F4-8176-E4DBF1F165E1_zpsbtx63mov.jpg

http://i51.photobucket.com/albums/f391/thegrynne/FountainPenNetwork/41DA2F52-EF71-4327-A9BA-A0E12B3FBC52_zps5gtaw0e5.jpg

Thanks, Gordon. Are you, like me, getting killed by the recent exchange rates? :)

I sure am - and cost of shipping from the USA is ridiculous once you do the currency exchange... :(

Sticking to local stores or Asia at the moment.

Poets don't draw. They unravel their handwriting and then tie it up again, but differently. - Jean Cocteau

Ο Θεός μ 'αγαπάς

Sun's out, so I took some photos of the ink swatches I have for Classic Red, with Momiji and Dragon's Napalm for comparison.

http://i51.photobucket.com/albums/f391/thegrynne/FountainPenNetwork/650E9E41-DC9A-4AAC-B515-6C1BE45E1335_zpskgu7gv9u.jpg

http://i51.photobucket.com/albums/f391/thegrynne/FountainPenNetwork/33B3562E-F0E1-41F4-8176-E4DBF1F165E1_zpsbtx63mov.jpg

http://i51.photobucket.com/albums/f391/thegrynne/FountainPenNetwork/41DA2F52-EF71-4327-A9BA-A0E12B3FBC52_zps5gtaw0e5.jpg

I prefer the Noodlers Dragon Napalm out of those three, but I do like red reds.... the others are just little pink for me.

The last one looks very similar to the Swan red from the 60's...

Edited by GordonOZ

Ο Θεός μ 'αγαπάς

I prefer the Noodlers Dragon Napalm out of those three, but I do like red reds.... the others are just little pink for me.

The last one looks very similar to the Swan red from the 60's...

I'm not sure that I've ever used as red-red ink... Would you consider Lamy red as being in that category? Caran d'Ache Ultra Infra Red?

Hi and welcome, Diana!

Nice to see another Sydney-sider here.

Talk about the exchange rate, that's probably why I'm not buying online. Dymocks stationery store in the city now stock fountain pens, inks, Clairefontaine, Rhodia and Leuchtturm paper. In fact, there's an ink sale on selected brands and selected colours of ink at the moment. :) You should pop in and have a look! No, I don't work there. The lady (Susan?) told me that they'll be bringing out more brands of fountain pens. I asked about Sailors but she told me that Penultimate has exclusive rights to sell Sailors so they can't.

See you around the pen shops in town! :)

Hi and welcome, Diana!

Nice to see another Sydney-sider here.

Talk about the exchange rate, that's probably why I'm not buying online. Dymocks stationery store in the city now stock fountain pens, inks, Clairefontaine, Rhodia and Leuchtturm paper. In fact, there's an ink sale on selected brands and selected colours of ink at the moment. :) You should pop in and have a look! No, I don't work there. The lady (Susan?) told me that they'll be bringing out more brands of fountain pens. I asked about Sailors but she told me that Penultimate has exclusive rights to sell Sailors so they can't.

See you around the pen shops in town! :)

Hi Charmian!

Dymocks is indeed growing into quite a destination for fountain pen lovers in Sydney. Susan sold me my first Omas! It's a shame she's not there every day.

Still, a lot of inks and pens are cheaper from online retailers overseas, especially the ones on eBay who offer free shipping. I was chatting with one of the SA at PenUltimate last week (glasses, curly hair?) and he was saying that they were going to raise their prices soon to keep up with the exchange rate.

Edit: As far as I know, Bookbinders has the best deal on Iroshizuku inks in Australia. They also do free shipping for orders over $75.

Edited by fireofspring

Welcome to the forum! (I'm new as well) I also live in Sydney.

I buy most of my pens at PenUltimate, the guy knows me well since I spent $6k. (the manager)

What sort of fountain pens and inks are available at dymocks? I buy a lot from eBay as well.

If you're looking for Sailor; try engeika, super cheap compared to the price at PenUltimate.