Nakaya Naka-Ai In Heki-Tamenuri, Broad (0.6Mm) Stub

Betweenthelines

I have been re-assured by an esteemed member of this forum that these pens are hardy. He takes his on camping & canoe trips for weeks on end . . .

Sound sturdy enough.

Now I know what is my next pen, i hesitated for awhile because i don't want to buy such an expensive pen just to display.

• Replies 39
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Cryptos

• Betweenthelines

• Dhruv_Sood

• fly_us

Thank you for sharing.

I have two Naka-ai's, one in Aka-tame and the other in Shu unpolished. Both have crisp cursive italic nibs, ground from BB nibs by John. They are wonderful to see and to use. My heki-tame Nakaya is a Decapod, which really shows the brown/green contrast dramatically.

I also appreciate your responses to those expressing lack of comprehension of the value we find in these pens. My only quibble would be to state explicitly that what you dislike about some Italian pens is not true of all Italian pens. For example, I find the Aurora Optima LE's such as the Mare, Sole, Primavera and 75th Anniversary to be quite simple, elegant and beautiful. The aesthetic is different from that of Japanese pens, naturally. They reflect very different cultures. Each can and should be appreciated on its own terms.

David

P.S. FWIW, I use all of my Nakayas for italic calligraphy. (I don't use my Italian pens for Japanese calligraphy, in case you are wondering.)

Absolutely gorgeous pen and beautiful photo's

Thank you!

I hear you, same position here really. Have you considered an online Sangha? I know it's not quite the same but there are some useful resources and contacts out there.

Interesting. No I had not considered it. I have always associated my practice with my "unplugged" life, so accessing it via the "plug" seems... wrong. But I'm here anyways, why should not be practicing? Maybe you could shoot me a PM with some resources? Cheers.

That's a stunning pen! Quick question, since I am not very familiar with the brand, but can that be used as an every day writer?

I think it's more the nib that determines whether it can be used as a daily writer or not, and this stub certainly can. It's small enough to be used practically, but broad enough to show off the ink and be smooth and juicy. As far as the pen itself - if you're asking whether I would brave enough to take it out of the house - well, I haven't yet, but I think I will be, as long as it's protected. So far it has been sitting at my desk. Because of the lack of clip, it is more suited for longer writing sessions.

Looks Beautiful! The Urushi is so lusciously glossy, like a crystal or like it is still wet.

I'm sure that nib is priceless. Enjoy your perfect pen!

Thank you! Great way to describe it - wet crystal. The nib is, indeed, fantastic.

I have been re-assured by an esteemed member of this forum that these pens are hardy. He takes his on camping & canoe trips for weeks on end . . .

I'm a big outdoors guy, and a big outdoors + fountain pen journaling guy, but bringing a Nakaya camping would be pushing it! I save my TWSBI Micarta with Pendleton stub for that purpose - that thing is made for the rugged outdoors.

Sound sturdy enough.

Now I know what is my next pen, i hesitated for awhile because i don't want to buy such an expensive pen just to display.

These pens need not be displays, what with the magic John creates with them, and how they feel in the hand, it would be a huge shame!! They beg to be used daily. Remember that while the Urushi coating may require care, underneath is hard rubber. I haven't yet, but plan to take it out into the world via the pen kimono.

My only quibble would be to state explicitly that what you dislike about some Italian pens is not true of all Italian pens. For example, I find the Aurora Optima LE's such as the Mare, Sole, Primavera and 75th Anniversary to be quite simple, elegant and beautiful. The aesthetic is different from that of Japanese pens, naturally. They reflect very different cultures. Each can and should be appreciated on its own terms.

Hi David - thanks for the comments and compliments! I should have used the word "some" as opposed to "many", as I agree, there are many Italian pens that are elegant and refined. And many that are not "minimalist" are still absolutely stunning in their own right. I have been drooling over the Visconti Divina in blue (though I doubt I'll ever get my hands on it), for example, and that is very un-Nakaya like.

I hope folks don't take my comments as coming from the other side of the spectrum (being a Japanese "purest" and not appreciating European pens). I love my Lamy 2K's, my vintage American, and my Pelikans. I think it's such a wonderful aspect of this hobby how the cultures are reflected and felt in the pens - and the variety therein. I agree that each can be appreciated for their own unique traits and personalities. To be honest, the main reason I haven't picked up an Italian pen yet is because all the ones I like are way beyond my budget! I seem to have expensive tastes.

Yeah I really like the look of the Naka-Ai. Would love to hold the others, though, to see how they feel in the hand. After writing with it for a while, I do think it could be just a bit longer for my large hands.

All 3 (Naka-Ai, piccolo long and Neo standard) have similar lengths. If you want to get a bigger pen, I would suggest the long cigar model which is 173mm in length capped and 143mm uncapped. Quite big. Pity that Nakaya have fixed the length of their pens.

Absolutely beautiful, congratulations! I think you can be very happy with the brown tone, a wonderful rich hue.

I wish us Europeans had easier access to Mottishaw´s nib magic.

Congrats on your new pen.
Your enthusiasm for it shows through the text.

It must be an amazing feeling to open that box and see a pen that is customized for you.

I tend to buy used, so I don't get that feeling very often.

Again, congrats and enjoy it in good health.

~ Justifying pen purchases since 2013 ~

@betweenthelines, if you have a Parker 51 (full size) could you post a quick picture of it and the Nakaya together, uncapped, please? This will give a much better idea of sizes. Thanks

Absolutely gorgeous pen!! I love the colour, and the kanji is a beautiful touch. I think on my next Nakaya, I'd like to have kanji on it, as it looks so lovely. Haha, I say 'my next Nakaya', meanwhile, I only just received my first Nakaya LOL ;) :D Seriously though, I think Nakayas are stunning pens. May yours bring you years and years of writing joy.

Just a quick question. The Kanji on the pen is on request or it is there already?

It's by request when you order it. They did a very nice job on the Kanji as well.

Given the way the Canadian dollar is depreciating against the USD, I was going to put in my order for the Nakaya Mini Decapod Cigar Kuro-tamenuri this past weekend but I needed to double check that the Kanji would be correct and be done well. After seeing these photos, I'll rest assured they do a brilliant job.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"The only true wisdom is knowing that you know nothing"-Socrates

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

I think Nakaya charges for kanji engraving. Am I correct?

Edit: I should have some kanji engraved on my Hakase too. Hmm, what though?

Edited by Dhruv_Sood

I've thought about it, and I know what I would have done... then again, I am conflicted as to whether the addition of such things detracts or enhances the aesthetic of the pen as a whole. Still undecided.

All 3 (Naka-Ai, piccolo long and Neo standard) have similar lengths. If you want to get a bigger pen, I would suggest the long cigar model which is 173mm in length capped and 143mm uncapped. Quite big. Pity that Nakaya have fixed the length of their pens.

Yeah, that's what I've figured out. I really prefer the tapered ends as opposed to the cigar look, but the only way to really get that in a bigger pen (that's not the desk pen) is to go for the Dorsal Fin 1, which is a big price hike.

Absolutely beautiful, congratulations! I think you can be very happy with the brown tone, a wonderful rich hue.

I wish us Europeans had easier access to Mottishaw´s nib magic.

I am indeed happy!

Congrats on your new pen.

Your enthusiasm for it shows through the text.

It must be an amazing feeling to open that box and see a pen that is customized for you.

I tend to buy used, so I don't get that feeling very often.

Again, congrats and enjoy it in good health.

It is a special experience. Like you I buy used 99% of the time, but this was a special occasion.

@betweenthelines, if you have a Parker 51 (full size) could you post a quick picture of it and the Nakaya together, uncapped, please? This will give a much better idea of sizes. Thanks

Here you go -

http://i.imgur.com/z80qjxT.jpg

Absolutely gorgeous pen!! I love the colour, and the kanji is a beautiful touch. I think on my next Nakaya, I'd like to have kanji on it, as it looks so lovely. Haha, I say 'my next Nakaya', meanwhile, I only just received my first Nakaya LOL ;) :D Seriously though, I think Nakayas are stunning pens. May yours bring you years and years of writing joy.

They're addictive, indeed. I really do like the Kanji.

Just a quick question. The Kanji on the pen is on request or it is there already?

It's a special order item, which means that your pen is going to take ~6 months + to get to you, unless you're lucky.

I think Nakaya charges for kanji engraving. Am I correct?

Edit: I should have some kanji engraved on my Hakase too. Hmm, what though?

Yes, but not too bad ($30).

I've thought about it, and I know what I would have done... then again, I am conflicted as to whether the addition of such things detracts or enhances the aesthetic of the pen as a whole. Still undecided.

Enhances, in my opinion. I think the contrast of the characters to the sleek designs adds to the beauty, and of course it adds a level of personalization that makes the pen yours.

Thanks for the 51 comparison. It is interesting. I can use my 51 unposted, though I usually post, and it is okay but not perfect. Compared to you Nakaya my fingers would go just below the clutch ring on the 51, which would make the pen too short for comfort, but the Nakaya is a bit longer in the barrel which would compensate for this. It would be interesting to see a long cigar in this picture (if anyone has one).

Sometimes the absolute length is not what determines the comfort though. I have used pens of adequate length that still didn't feel right. I suppose it is the combinatory ratio of length, girth, and finger positioning that is the key to this.

On the addition of kanji, or any other embellishments, I remain undecided. On the one hand there is the personalization of which you speak. On the other there is the possibility of creating imperfection in the intended effect of the design. Persoanlly I like both, but if I was to plunk down the money for a Nakaya I really do not know if I would be brave enough to add something extra like that.

Edit: just how big are your hands? Mine measure 21 cm (about 8 1/4 inches) from tip of middle finger to base of palm, and 9.5 cm (about 3 3/4 inches) across the palm.

Edited by Empty_of_Clouds

Thanks.. The review and comments are really interesting... The Nakaya is my Grail pen... Working my way towards it... One day soon...

• 2 weeks later...

I don't mean to be disrespectfull to people that buy these pens, but i don't get the excitement over this boring looking pen.

I have expensive pens, mostly european, but they look much better than this . And the amount you pay for a 14k nib, no piston, and a shiny simple body.. is just beyond me.. But again this is just one man opinion..

You say 14k like it's a bad thing. Do you really believe that 18k/21k nibs are necessarily better than 14k because they have more gold content? That's simply not true. I'm quite new to fountain pens, but I've felt enough gold nibs to know that some of the absolute best are the 14k nibs - it's how they are crafted/forged/tuned that makes the nib, not the gold content.

• 3 weeks later...