The Fountain Pen Network uses (functional) cookies. Read the Privacy Policy for more info.  To remove this message, please click here to accept the use of cookies

Photo

Close Up Photos Of Abrasives Used On Nibs

46 replies to this topic

#41 mhosea

mhosea

Antique

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,182 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 08 January 2017 - 03:20

Says "Plugable USB2-MICRO-200X" on the base.

I know my id is "mhosea", but you can call me Mike. It's an old Unix thing.

Sponsored Content

#42 bizhe

bizhe

Vintage

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 454 posts

Posted 09 January 2017 - 10:25

Thanks, that was actually a device I am interested in, performs better than I expected.

#43 GuilhermeAtencio

GuilhermeAtencio

Near Mint

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPip
  • 30 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 06 March 2017 - 23:11

Fascinating!

What I find most interesting is how smoothness changes when the scale changes too. Thanks for the pictures.

#44 EBUCKTHORN

EBUCKTHORN

Extremely Rare

• FPN Supporter - Rhodium

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 273 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 08 March 2017 - 02:45

A lot has been written about these very fine abrasives in the wood working and knife making communities. I've found the Grand Unified Grit Chart very useful for comparing abrasives, always using micron size as  a "real" number <https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1VaTf3MXuwuvH-QLwOci4f9B9Zhkbuu1wjoSCZIUsR-o/edit#gid=0> 

I find the 3M Microfinishing film 0.5 micron sheet <http://www.leevalley...004&cat=1,43072> to feel noticeably finer than the 12,000 Micromesh but I don't know on what scale the Micromesh is measured so I have no objective means of comparison. The Micromesh has a cushioned backing whereas the  Microfinishing film has no such backing and is typically used on a glass plate or polished steel substrate. One could try using the film on top of a sheet of sponge rubber (many types and densities) to approximate the built-in cushioning of the Micromesh.

#45 thesteampunkraven

thesteampunkraven

NOS (New Old Stock)

• Member - Silver

• PipPip
  • 14 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 08 November 2017 - 00:34

This is pretty cool. where can I get some?I am in the process of getting rid of baby's bottom.

astra inclinant, sed non obligant

The stars incline us, they do not bind us.

#46 Vintagepens

Vintagepens

David Nishimura

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,530 posts

Posted 08 November 2017 - 14:47

I'd strongly recommend spending a bit more and getting the diamond abrasive version of these same sheets. The abrasive is attached so firmly to the backing that one can work between the tines without scraping off the abrasive. 

http://www.vintagepe...#smoothing_film

I use these on top of sheets of paper. Three sheets give a good amount of cushioning for most smoothing work.

Edited by Vintagepens, 08 November 2017 - 14:49.

#47 Cjayant

Cjayant

Near Mint

• Member - Bronze+

• PipPipPip
  • 48 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 25 November 2017 - 15:55

Amazing and very informative stuffs. Thanks for the share and for all the trouble.

Reply to this topic

Sponsored Content

|