Do You Keep Personal Journal Writing Separate

Pussinboots

I have two journals going at once, and they serve different purposes. During the school year, I have three (one for work--I am a teacher). Occasionally I even have a small separate journal for each class that I teach. None of these do I consider "private" or secret. I share from them all.

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Manalto

• Pussinboots

• cimmerian

• pbk31

If you asked me how to find Johnny's Bar in Frozen Stalks, Idaho, I couldn't tell you. I would have to look the directions up in my journal. If you wanted to know about my "feelings" about The Battle of Johnny's Bar, I could tell you right away. No need to write that down; I feel the same way today as I did when the war was on.

You're a different specimen of Homo sapiens than me. Flipping through my writings from 2005, I was surprised to discover how different a person I was solely by my opinions. If I hadn't written them down then, I'd never know how much I'm changed today, which in turn informes me that I shouldn't be so adamant of them today, as they're likely to be changed (evolved?) again in ten years.

(I better write this down so I can find it by accident in 2025! :lol: )

Who knows what ink lurks in the hearts of pen? The Shadow knows!

My family has been good about saving letters and journals, going back about 100 years. I love nothing better than to read old letters written by my ancestors. Since I was not alive to know them "in person", these letters give me a window to what they were like. I think journaling does the same thing. I will leave my journals to my son and he can keep or destroy them as he wishes. I did, however, learn from my mother not to write down anything you don't want someone else to read. But writing can help some people sort through their emotions. These writings can then be destroyed. Or kept. It's up to the writer.

One of my favorite letters was written by my great-grandmother, who I never met. She had written to one of her children that her son who had been in the hospital for some time, was finally showing improvement and they were looking forward to bringing him home for Christmas. Unfortunately, the son died before leaving the hospital. I could connect with her because I lost my son at age 32. Reading her letter, I hurt for her because she did not know at the time he would pass in just a few days, but I knew when I read the letter what she was about to face.

The great thing about journaling is that you can write whatever you want. There is no right or wrong. It is personal and there are no rules.

I recently brought home from my sister's, another stack of letters that my mother had saved. She saved every letter and card ever sent to her. What a treasure! Some I have returned to cousins so they can see a side of their parents that they might not have otherwise seen. Of course, now I wish I had some of the letters that my mother wrote to others.

Enough rambling. Do what makes you happy and don't put down someone who wants to do something differently than you.

Just one that I write everything in.

San Francisco Pen Show - August 28-30, 2020 - Redwood City, California

www.SFPenShow.com

I have 2: one of which I write in once a day, almost everyday. It's a summary of what's going on in my life and how I'm feeling. I use an A5 Hobonichi Planner for this as it's dated and a page to a day. I plan on keeping this one for at least a year after I finish it as I also include the weather from the day and am curious about the degree of variability, but am not sure how this will work for me.

The other one, is undated and I write in it whenever I feel like it, sometimes not for a couple, of days, other times it will be several pages/times in a day. It's a means of getting clutter out of my head, occasionally helps me dealing with my emotions, assists me to focus on what's important and fuels creativity. If I re-read any of it, it's only to extract a quote, name of a book etc. I don't want to go over old ground, nor would I like anyone to read it (although most of it is extremely mundane) and I shred the pages once the book is full.

I have 2: one of which I write in once a day, almost everyday. It's a summary of what's going on in my life and how I'm feeling. I use an A5 Hobonichi Planner for this as it's dated and a page to a day. I plan on keeping this one for at least a year after I finish it as I also include the weather from the day and am curious about the degree of variability, but am not sure how this will work for me.

The other one, is undated and I write in it whenever I feel like it, sometimes not for a couple, of days, other times it will be several pages/times in a day. It's a means of getting clutter out of my head, occasionally helps me dealing with my emotions, assists me to focus on what's important and fuels creativity. If I re-read any of it, it's only to extract a quote, name of a book etc. I don't want to go over old ground, nor would I like anyone to read it (although most of it is extremely mundane) and I shred the pages once the book is full.

This is interesting. I keep two journals for the same reason as you. My daily one is in an A4 exercise book, I note daily events and feelings which are not too private and I also glue in photos and mementos where necessary.

My other journal is in a pretty notebook, this is where I write more in depth about my feelings and I do want to keep these books aswell as the A4 ones but also don't want to keep any really deep thoughts which I don't want anyone to see. I was thinking of maybe writing these entries on loose paper to destroy afterwards and then I can keep the book intact.

Do you find your entries overlap in both books? I find for instance that if I am worried about something and its not too personal I'll note it in my daily diary and then write about it more in my personal journal. I was thinking of merging the two but in which book I'm unsure. I have chosen a cheap larger exercise book for my daily diary as it's easier to paste things in without ruining the book yet I like to keep a nice journal also.

I only have the one journal/diary which I keep in a midori TN blue edition. This tends not to leave the house though, and I have another full sized TN for general notes and finances which I carry around in my bag with me at all times.

I am trying to open up a bit more in my daily entries as I found that I was heavily censoring myself, so I wouldn't want to add this notebook to my daily carry...

Do you find your entries overlap in both books? I find for instance that if I am worried about something and its not too personal I'll note it in my daily diary and then write about it more in my personal journal. I was thinking of merging the two but in which book I'm unsure. I have chosen a cheap larger exercise book for my daily diary as it's easier to paste things in without ruining the book yet I like to keep a nice journal also.

I find there is often overlap, but the Hobinichi Planner with its day to a page either has fewer topics "discussed" in a day or less depth on a topic. The other notebook (currently a Daycraft Signature in A5) has more depth and many more ramblings as well as lists, diagrams, streams of consciousness, random comments etc. some days I write 4 or more pages, other days 1 or 2.

I gave up on any distinction between professional and personal in my journaling. Life is a composite whole. I journal daily to:

- log events at work for legal / professional reasons

- record learning about world history

- record events and learning in my theological life

- record family events

- pass a record of my life to my children

Perhaps one day they will look back 50, 75 years or more and have a fairly clear window into the crazy events convulsing public life in this and prior generations.

In addition, I write letters to my children discussing theological, personal, and professional observations affecting them for their benefit. I think parents' greatest honor is not just raising children but propelling them as far upward and forward as possible. Letters are a very personal, tangible way of mentoring with love and the wisdom of age from a distance.

Perhaps one day they will look back 50, 75 years or more and have a fairly clear window into the crazy events convulsing public life in this and prior generations.

In 75 years, do you think cursive will require a professional to decipher? I wonder.

I write letters to my children discussing theological, personal, and professional observations affecting them for their benefit. I think parents' greatest honor is not just raising children but propelling them as far upward and forward as possible. Letters are a very personal, tangible way of mentoring with love and the wisdom of age from a distance.

I salute and commend you for this exquisite gift.

James

What a stimulating discussion!

I have kept a journal/diary for over 40 years. I write my thoughts, my ideas, my heart's desires and my prayers. For me, this is very therapeutic. Perhaps far more importantly, it will give my descendants an opportunity to understand me and the times I lived in. I have had the benefit of understanding my ancestors in much the same way. . . not just the famous ones who history records, but the "normal" ones who shared their thoughts with me. You may think that things about you are that important to anyone, but consider your family members in the future. They will want to find out "who" you are and "what" you think and believe.

Many times, I use one journal that includes both business and personal. At other times, I keep two separate journals. It really depends on my work at the time. And, practically speaking, it depends on how much my business stuff eats up the paper in my journal. Presently, I keep one journal. Sometimes, it is just more convenient to have one journal rather than keep track of 2 or 3 or more.

Because I run my own business, I keep my recent journals confidential for up to 5 years. After that, I don't care who reads them. I also store my used journals wrapped in parchment paper in plastic bins, that I then seal with the bin with tape and store in my attic. If I need to get into that bin, I reseal it.

"Today will be gone in less than 24 hours. When it is gone, it is gone. Be wise, but enjoy! - anonymous today

I don't know about 75 years. But I do know that some peoples cursive already needs a professional to decipher it.

"You can't wait for inspiration. You have to go after it with a club."

- Jack London

http://i729.photobucket.com/albums/ww296/messiah_FPN/Badges/SnailBadge.png

No.

I don't know about 75 years. But I do know that some peoples cursive already needs a professional to decipher it.

That's interesting. Before I started studying Spencerian, reading those old manuscripts was not unlike trying to decipher hieroglyphs. Now, although taxing, it's feasible.

Maybe it's still difficult to read a letter by Jane Austin because of the old-style English, but it's as if I could "see" what's written now that I'm learning a complex handwriting, while before they were just beautiful squiggly lines on strangely folded paper.

Who knows what ink lurks in the hearts of pen? The Shadow knows!

That's interesting. Before I started studying Spencerian, reading those old manuscripts was not unlike trying to decipher hieroglyphs. Now, although taxing, it's feasible.

And Marcelo, you probably grew up exposed to, if not taught, cursive writing, which is a recognizable variant of those earlier styles. Today there are young people who do not encounter cursive in their daily lives. For many of them, (the majority of my students, for example) deciphering it is more trouble than it's worth.

According to today's average lifespan statistics, my students who can't be bothered reading cursive will be gone (or circling the drain) in 75 years. Those who will be called upon to read journals haven't been born yet. In fact, their parents won't even be born for another 20-30 years. If the trend continues (and I strongly doubt the Palmer Method is going to make a spectacular comeback), those who can make sense of it will likely be academics in the language disciplines.

So, if in your journals you want to leave a legacy accessible to most, PRINT - and do it neatly!

Edited by Manalto

James

I keep one daily journal. I write whatever I feel like, mostly simple day-to-day activities. Pretty dull stuff for anyone else to read. I also keep a separate travel journal. I limit entries in this to time that I "overnighted" somewhere. These journals are helpful in remembering places and years. My late wife had cancer for five years and took treatments at M.D. Anderson Cancer Clinic in Houston. I started another journal for this mostly to pass the time in the waiting rooms. Obviously this one is closed since she passed away last July. On some occasions I used the Moleskine City Guides for trips to San Francisco and Seattle . Don't think they make these anymore but I could be wrong. I have no rhyme or reason to what pen I use or what type of journal I get. Right now I'm using a Midori-type passport size that I got from a fellow in Italy. I also have his larger size too. I may or may not continue to use these in the future.

Edited by BillZ

Pat Barnes a.k.a. billz

No rules, total honesty, and unbridled candor. Your journal is the only place in the world where these three values apply all at once, if you know what's good for you. When I write in my journal I put no limitations on myself. That's basic. That's essential. There's nothing I won't or can't write about. And when I write I tell it like it is. I follow David Mamet's dictum and tell the truth from one moment to the next to see where it leads me. Frequently I get into the same kind of unconscious-tapping flow I get into when I'm writing fiction.

When you write this way, you discover things. You surprise yourself. Things bubble up from your unconscious, things you'd forgotten, things you didn't even know that you knew. Unformed and half-formed ideas become fully formed sometimes, right in front of your eyes, on paper, if you write long enough and don't censor yourself. Writing is thinking on paper. And sometimes you don't know what you know until you've written it. Sometimes writing is knowing.

When you write this way, you best keep your writings to yourself. In writing about your life you're going to write about the other people in it. At times you're going to say things about people you know, including people who are closest to you, and if you're honest and candid some of these things will be unflattering. But when you think someone will or might read this today or next week or next year, you'll censor yourself, and you know it. Maybe you'll do it every time; maybe you'll only censor yourself once in a while; maybe you'll only do it once. For me, once is too much. If you allow others to read your journal or you keep it in a place where others might read it, you'll never be totally honest with yourself in your journaling.

I love the smell of fountain pen ink in the morning.

Bookman:

I like your philosophy towards journaling. No rules and honesty in the moment are of paramount importance for me to be able to write with an unrestricted flow. Honesty comes from my intellect and my heart. Fact and feeling. It gets harder each day to determine the truth of what is presented as fact. Truth is seldom black and white but rather shades of gray. Thus, candor, by its strict definition, often conflicts with the flow of my writing and walks all over the concept of my being honest and true to myself. I write for me and the world is free to write as it sees fit.

You have a great perspective on writing and an equally fine tag line!

For compliance reasons, I have to segregate my work writing and my personal writing. Work notebook stays at the office, locked away before I leave the office every night--never leaves the premise. Other's will, on occasion, look through my notes, so nothing personal must land on those pages. I do a lot of doodling on work notes, but that's as far as it goes.

I have been hankering for something more personal and finally purchased a Hobonichi planner to use as a journal/personal planner. So far, I'm kicking myself for not doing this sooner. While I don't have time to write full length entries, I do have 5 minutes here and there to doodle and write little tid-bits about my day. This has been immensely gratifying.

Ink, a drug.

― Vladimir Nabokov, Bend Sinister

Instagram:
a.transient.life