How Many Pens Always Inked?

Charles Skinner

I have 13 pens inked up at the moment, which is a bit much for me, but I got excited and was testing some new inks out. :P I also have a Jinhao x750 with the Zebra G modification that I use every 1-3 days to draw and practice fake flex calligraphy; I don't count that as "inked up" because I always finish the full converter in one sitting and let the pen dry out. But techincally that means +1 to whatever the number of the week is.

sig2.jpgsig1.jpg

Events may be horrible or inescapable. Men always have a choice - if not whether, then how they endure.

- Lois McMaster Bujold

• Replies 136
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• TSherbs

• A Smug Dill

• Tom Kellie

• ethernautrix

Usually 10-12. 3-4 with extra fine and fine for journaling, The rest are Mediums, Broad, and Cursive italics for everyday notes. inks vary but typically, 4001 blue black, Visconti Blue, DeAtramentis Aubergine, Steel Blue, Atlantic Blue, Aurora Blue and Blue Black, Sailor Yama-Dori, Shigure, maybe one with Mb Irish Green. To highlight, I underline Using an orange ink. Always have a pen inked with either Iroshizuku yu-yake or Robert Oster Orange.

And then, the number can go up, depending on how many pens I’m working on at the time.

Today's count: 28.

"The trouble with the world is that the stupid are cocksure and the intelligent are full of doubt."

B. Russell

On average, around 10, all with a different ink. While predominantly stubs and cursive italics, there is always a fine/EF among them. They all get some use at least every other day to avoid clogging. I only partially fill each pen where possible so as to expedite turnover in the inked roster so that I get to use as many of my pens as possible.

Down to nine. Oldest is a Parker Duofold button filler ca 1930. The rest are represented by Preppies, a Ranga, a Plaisir, and various Chinese pens. Medium stub to EF nibs. Two more are waiting in the wings...

• 1 month later...

I just counted today: 16 + 2 purse pens (always inked and not really counted)

I bought a slew of new pens and inks and went crazy for a while, but I'm 3-5 pens away from getting back to my zen place of "rotation" pens inked. I definitely enjoy my pens better when I have fewer inked at the same time, but at least it's not the 20+ it was a couple of weeks ago!

sig2.jpgsig1.jpg

Events may be horrible or inescapable. Men always have a choice - if not whether, then how they endure.

- Lois McMaster Bujold

For June, two. My 2POM Challenge (2 Pens One Month): Pilot Custom 823 (PO) with Noodler's Black and Nakaya Piccolo Cigar unpolished shu (steel EF) with Pilot Blue.

etherX in To Miasto

Fleekair <--French accent.

I used to keep all my pens inked on principle, but honestly, lately, as I get towards the 10-pen mark in my collection (I'm still very new, yes), I'm realizing I just don't think it's practical for me. I tend to stick with one pen for all my writing for a given day, and rotate to a new pen the next day, so if I have 10 pens, some of those pens are not gonna be used for over a week at a time...Which is usually fine, but it just isn't how I want to do things.

I clean my pens every 2 weeks or when the ink runs out. But I have a lot of piston filler pens and they end up needing cleaning before I'm out of ink. Which is sad! I don't want to waste ink. But yeah, basically, the more pens I have filled up, the more ink I end up wasting, due to hitting the "time to clean it regardless" point before the "it's out of ink" point.

I'm thinking my limit going forward may be 6 or 7 inked. One for each day of the week. That would be fun. :D

-Taylor

Success consists of going from failure to failure without loss of enthusiasm. (Winston Churchill)

Typically four or five. As I mostly have piston-fillers, better not fill them all so I don't get clogs or dried-up nibs.

Mine is 8 up to today. But I will need to check my drawer back home. Not sure if I leave some pens with ink inside there

:D Nice to meet you :D

• 1 month later...

On average, though, I would say I have no more than five pens inked at any one time, all with different writing characteristics.

~ That's more or less the same case on my writing desk.

Different nib sizes, different ink colors.

All used daily.

Tom K.

It looks like 15 or so. I really like the Noodlers Boston Safety Pen. Its the only Ebonite pen I own.post-119257-0-95045100-1564713329_thumb.jpg

Edited by FOUR X FOUR

• 2 months later...

~ FOUR X FOUR:

I like the image above.

It reminds me of my own writing desk.

The cloth with ink stains is all too familiar.

As most of my fountain pens are dark, your desk seems just about right.

Thank you for posting this.

Tom K.

For June, two. My 2POM Challenge (2 Pens One Month): Pilot Custom 823 (PO) with Noodler's Black and Nakaya Piccolo Cigar unpolished shu (steel EF) with Pilot Blue.

Wait. a. minute! How do you have a steel nib in a Nakaya? I don't even think there are #3776s with steel nibs; what is this sorcery?

I don't even think there are #3776s with steel nibs; what is this sorcery?

Look for PTB-5000B models.

I endeavour to be frank and truthful in what I write, show or otherwise present, when I relate my first-hand experiences that are not independently verifiable; and link to third-party content where I can, when I make a claim or refute a statement of fact in a thread. If there is something you can verify for yourself, I entreat you to do so, and judge for yourself what is right, correct, and valid. I may be wrong, and my position or say-so is no more authoritative and carries no more weight than anyone else's here.

• 2 weeks later...

I have nine pens inked at the moment. Five of the pens are inked with a black ink, either Dark Matter or Perle Noir, and the rest are inked with Revolutionary Blue. I write mostly in black ink and make notes with the blue ink.

"No one can be a great thinker who does not recognize that as a thinker it is his first duty to follow his intellect to whatever conclusions it may lead. Truth gains more even by the errors of one who, with due study, and preparation, thinks for himself, than by the true opinions of those who only hold them because they do not suffer themselves to think." -J.S. Mill, On Liberty

• 3 weeks later...

I have ten inked at the moment. Eight at work and two at home.

I use different pens for different things. I have one pen that I just use for signing things, others for marking up text and of course several for taking notes.

• 2 weeks later...

8 to 12 is typical. Ten is most frequent. I have three awaiting flushing right now and still have 10 inked.(I think)

Brad

"Words are, of course, the most powerful drug used by mankind" - Rudyard Kipling
"None of us can have as many virtues as the fountain-pen, or half its cussedness; but we can try." - Mark Twain