How Many Pens Always Inked?

Charles Skinner

I try to keep it to 2-3 pens: A primary pen, a back-up for when the primary runs out of ink (then becoming the new primary), and sometimes a third pen if I have a specific ink need (permanence, color, trying something new). I'm going through a few dozen ink samples so I change inks between every filling. This lets me rotate through my collection with some regularity.

• Replies 136
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• TSherbs

• A Smug Dill

• Tom Kellie

• ethernautrix

I limit myself to having no more than two inked at any time.

Please, dear Reader, do not mistake this statement for evidence that I have any kind of willpower, or ability to practise self-denial.
It has only come to this because I have been reluctantly forced to make allowances for the fact that I am an egregious flibbertigibbet who has the attention span of Oh! Look! A shiny thing :)

If I did not limit myself to having no more than two inked at the same time I would soon spiral completely out of control and end up with several pens gummed-up by dried-out ink :(

Temet nosce!

Foul in clear conditions, but handsome in the fog.

mini-postcard-exc.png

Always inked.....Not too many....ah, lets see. :blush:

Pilot Custom 743 sfm

Lamy 2000 f

Delta Unica 2015 Anderson Pens LE m

Pelikan m800 B

Pilot Falcon sef

Parker 51

Pelikan m600 m

Sailor 1911L m

Pilot Custom 742 wa

Platinum 3776 Century Chartres sf

Pilot Metal Falcon sf

Platinum Carbon desk pens. Ah, 3. 1 at office, 2 at home.

"I am a dancer who walks for a living" Michael Erard

"Reality then, may be an illusion, but the illusion itself is real." Niklas Luhmann

Hmm..for me, it's safe to say less than twenty!

I keep my pens inked until they're empty. But when there's only a little bit of ink left, I start looking for the next pen or ink to use...and then that first pen ends up sticking around much longer than intended.

Twenty-seven, and I use each one for awhile every single day. Being retired means I have enough time on my hands to do that. Otherwise, it would probably be more like a half dozen or so. When the new copper orange Lamy Al Star arrives in (hopefully) today's mail, that would put it up to 28 :-).

"In the end, only kindness matters."

I try to keep it to 2 pens but have gone up to 4. One will be an EDC - often the Pelikan M200 or Pilot CH 92. If I get a new pen or have the FC Model 02 eyedroppered that might also be around.

One or more pens will have permanent ink in it, a necessity for envelopes but I lean towards iron gall/permanent anyway.

I also have a Preppy in my drawer but don't use it too often as my just in case pen. Writes phenomenal though!

Inked: Aurora Optima EF (Pelikan Tanzanite); Franklin Christoph Pocket 20 Needlepoint (Sailor Kiwa Guro); Sheaffers PFM I Reporter/Fine (Diamine Oxblood); Franklin Christoph 02 Medium Stub (Aurora Black); Platinum Plaisir Gunmetal EF (Platinum Brown); Platinum Preppy M (Platinum Blue-Black). Leaded: Palomino Blackwing 602; Lamy Scribble 0.7 (Pentel Ain Stein 2B); Uni Kuru Toga Roulette 0.5 (Uni Kuru Toga HB); Parker 51 Plum 0.9 (Pilot Neox HB)

Usually 6 or 7.

I typically bring 4 pens to work with me.

One with a red ink, one with a black(ish) ink (These are for my job).

The other 2 are whatever color I think will be fun to use that day (These are for my sanity).

Edited by DaveT

Please visit my store A&D Penworx.

Brands we carry: Benu Pen, Conklin, Kaweco, Monteverde, TWSBI - Diamine, J Herbin, KWZ- Clairefontaine, Field Notes, Rhodia, Whitelines

Right now, I have three:

- Kaigelu 316 [Diamine Sherwood Green]

- TWSBI Eco [Chesterfield Antique Yankee]

- Jinhao x450 [Diamine Oxblood]

Usually three.

Currently:

1. Sailor Pro Gear Realo inked with Noodler's black (my default ink).

2. Pilot Custom 823 inked with Sailor Tokiwa-Matsu green (a new favorite).

3. TWSBI Diamond 580 inked with MontBlanc Corn Poppy red.

I've also got a Lamy Studio inked with Noodler's black because it's got an extra-fine nib that I'm using in my Spencerian handbooks (the paper really bleeds).

Cheers.

David.

I generally have three to four inked as my daily carries, but currently have inked up: Metropolitan with Lamy black, Kaweco Sport with Namiki blue, Parker 41 with Noodler's Tiananmen (red), Lamy 2000 with the same Noodler's Tiananmen (for grading), and a Jinhao X750 with Chesterfield Antique Slate. Next to be inked will by my new (once it gets here) Pelikan M600 with Chesterfield Antique Orchard. :wub:

I normally have just three inked pens, two in my desk at home and one at work. But now I have 5 as I have had a new pen and ink present for Valentine's day, and had to try them straight away. I am still finishing a travel journal that I started with a VP F and violet Pilot ink and also I inked my Visconti Opera Elements fire with Diamine Red passion for my Valentine card. On top of that I am writing my journal this month with a Delta Dolce Vita inked with Iroshizuku ku-jaku and I carry a Pilot Custom 74 with Diamine Saphire blue ink to work.

Edited by columela

“Waste no more time arguing about what a good man should be. Be one.”

Marcus Aurelius, Meditations

• 2 weeks later...

I generally have three to four inked as my daily carries, but currently have inked up: Metropolitan with Lamy black, Kaweco Sport with Namiki blue, Parker 41 with Noodler's Tiananmen (red), Lamy 2000 with the same Noodler's Tiananmen (for grading), and a Jinhao X750 with Chesterfield Antique Slate. Next to be inked will by my new (once it gets here) Pelikan M600 with Chesterfield Antique Orchard. :wub:

Cherstefield Antique Orchid is becoming one of my favorite inks-- I believe it is Diamine Damson relabeled.

We Are Our Ancestors’ Wildest Dreams

• 2 years later...

My strategy is to have one pen inked for every colour of ink I own - About 5. Currently: Pilot Vanishing Point w/ Kyoto Hisoku, TWSBI diamond 580 w/ LAMY Blue/Black, TWSBI Eco w/ Diamine Oxblood, LAMY Safari w/ Diamine Blaze Orange, and LAMY Lx w/ a rotation of different samples :)

I have my three pens inked. A1944 Parker 51 Vacumatic, a Pilot custom 92 and my Faber-Castell Essentio-Carbon. I like to rotate but these pens are my daily carry pens.

Currently one but that will change soon. Deciding on ink options for at least two more of my pens.

Namiki Yukari Maki-e Zodiac Horse 1st edition, by Masaru Hayashi 林胜 | Namiki Yukari Royale Vermillon Urushi No. 20 | Pelikan M1000 | Montblanc WE 2004 Franz Kafka LE | Montblanc POA 2018 Homage to Ludwig II LE 4810 | Montblanc POA Joseph II 2012 LE 4810 | Montblanc 146 75th Anniversary SE | Montblanc Meisterstück Great Masters James Purdey & Sons SE | Montblanc 118232 Heritage Collection Rouge et Noir Spider Metamorphosis SE Coral | Montblanc 10575 Meisterstück Gold 149 | Montblanc 114229 Meisterstück Platinum 149 | Montblanc 111043 John F. Kennedy LE 1917 Rollerball | Montblanc 116258 The Beatles SE Ballpoint | Montblanc 114723 Heritage Collection Rouge et Noir SE Rollerball | Montblanc Meisterstück Platinum-Coated Classique Ballpoint |

• 2 weeks later...

9 pens inked for 9 different inks

All used within a week, write daily.

This seems to be the most that I can keep inked and none will dry out.

Not sure what to do when a bundle of new pens arrives.

Likely will have to rotate some out and wash and store them.

My strategy is to have one pen inked for every colour of ink I own - About 5.

I try to do the same, but it gets difficult with 180 different inks.

I endeavour to be frank and truthful in what I write, show or otherwise present, when I relate my first-hand experiences that are not independently verifiable; and link to third-party content where I can, when I make a claim or refute a statement of fact in a thread. If there is something you can verify for yourself, I entreat you to do so, and judge for yourself what is right, correct, and valid. I may be wrong, and my position or say-so is no more authoritative and carries no more weight than anyone else's here.