How Many Pens Always Inked?

Charles Skinner

I have 10 going right now. Too many but I "need" them all.

CA_10201512374514-M.jpg

Change is not mandatory, Survival is not required.

• Replies 136
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• TSherbs

• A Smug Dill

• Tom Kellie

• ethernautrix

• 4 weeks later...

I have nine pens, of which eight are currently inked.

Four have the cartridges that came with the pens (three black, one blue)

One has Noodler's Apache Sunset (orange-yellow), the other three have Iroshizuku: momiji (pinkish-red), fuyo-syogun (grey) and murasaki-shikibu (purple). When the cartridges finally run out, two will be set aside, dry, for a while.

I either write or doodle something with each pen every day or every other day.

• 4 weeks later...

Parker Vector - Super Quink washable royal blue ink (I found a so called vintage bottle. With Solv-X, need to hoard more of them somehow).

Parker Classic - Sailor Jentl Blue.

So hmm, just 2 fp's and both loaded. I recently cleaned them out (flush, the full works) because they were clogged. Although the vector probably would write without issues. The parker ink with solv-x is very non-clogging :) Didn't matter how long I didn't use them, just loading up with fresh ink and both pens would write. The Sailor ink is less forgiving. It dries out really quick (leaving the cap of for extended periods already makes the pen stop writing >_<), and clogs up the parker classic. I have to add, it's probably in part to the fine nib, which writes more like an xf. At least when I'm comparing the Fine tip in the vector. Which would probably compare favourably to a medium nib.

Wet vs dry nibs.

I digress. Just 2 pens, both recently cleaned, and both loaded with 2 shades of blue. I don't have more pens :)

Not just a problem for people who write a lot. While I do write letters I use my pens mostly for drawing.

Not including my Desk pens (a Platinum Carbon Black & Esterbrook 8 Ball), which are always inked up, here is how I keep track of what ink is in which pen:

22957968623_08aab695ed_b.jpgKeeping track of ink by Pira Urosevic, on Flickr

The rubbery mat keeps the pens/pencils from rolling around on my desk; which is at a slight angle, hence nibs are pointed downward. The piece of paper that lists the colour/pen/nib sample is kept up higher where I can just glance at it to see what is in said pen.

With the exception of both Platinum Carbon Desk pens (EF & Super Fine nibs respectively), which both have Carbon Black ink in them at all times, the rest tend to get flushed and colour swapped out on a monthly rotation as I finish the ink in them. Hmmm I guess I currently have 8 pens inked.

Edited by Pira

I knew it would be a mistake to "count" (The reason I resist counting inks!) BUT I just found 33 inked & can honestly say they are "all in use." Today I discovered another one had "run dry" so it will be getting a good flush & "rest" for a bit. I enjoy matching the pens to new inks upon arrival so that is my excuse for this excess......"a lot of new inks appeared last month!"

I currently have five inked. I write every day - sometimes as many as 12-15 pages - and like to switch colors as the mood strikes me.

• 1 month later...

Sí, señor, hence my "teen panic." I am, however, moving toward a more organized way of life with glacial velocity.

:)

Okay, I used to have the Letter Writers Alliance and The Snail Mail Exchange in here. Somehow, my browsers settings and the forum's settings work together to prevent that from being the case at the moment. Whenever I try to update my signature, the whole process breakls down. So. Whatever.

I knew it would be a mistake to "count" (The reason I resist counting inks!) BUT I just found 33 inked & can honestly say they are "all in use." Today I discovered another one had "run dry" so it will be getting a good flush & "rest" for a bit. I enjoy matching the pens to new inks upon arrival so that is my excuse for this excess......"a lot of new inks appeared last month!"

I don't want to count, because I fear I might arrive at a number worryingly close to that one...

Okay, I used to have the Letter Writers Alliance and The Snail Mail Exchange in here. Somehow, my browsers settings and the forum's settings work together to prevent that from being the case at the moment. Whenever I try to update my signature, the whole process breakls down. So. Whatever.

As Ruth F mentioned, I like to have each journal entry in a different color :

TWSBI Vac 700 Iroshizuku syo-ru

Waterman 512 Waterman (of course) Mysterious blue

Noodler Konrad JH Rouge Hematite

Noodler Ahab Diamine Autumn Oak btw pen nickname is 'Stinky'

Work pens:

Nemosine PR Ebony Black

TWSBI 580 Noodlers Zhivago

Parker 45 Flighter - Papier Plume Oyster Gray

Parker 45 Flighter - Parker Penman Sapphire (cartridge)

Parker 45 Diamine Steel Blue

Pilot Metropolitan Blackstone Red Cashmere

Waterman Phileas - Akkerman Voorhout Violet

Cross Aventura - Blackstone Green Cashmere

True Writer Silver Anniversary - Diamine Sherwood Green

Jinhao 599 Diamine Golden Sands

Pelikan M200 Cognac Levenger Pomegranate

Pelikan M200 blue marbled Akkerman Shocking Blue

TWSBI 580 Noodler's Apache Sunset

Esterbrook SJ Diamine Twilight

Esterbrook J Pelikan 4001 Blue Black

Esterbrook LJ Iro Tsuki Yo

Pelikan 120 Merz & Krell Dromgoole's Blue Steel

Parker 51 Special Waterman Serenity Blue

Lamy Al Star Diamine Magical Forest

So right now 17.

If I had been paying attention I wouldn't have inked 5 today, but some smaller number - or none. My Konrad is uninked as is a "in process" gray Esterbrook J. It's new sac and supplies arrive Monday. Once done, I will fill it and take it for a test drive. The bottom five on the above list were the ones that got inked today.

I really need to have the number around 10-12 max

If I had to cut it back by say three right now? I would probably empty the Aventura, the Phileas, and the Metropolitan and the 599 if I got brave and did four.

Brad

"Words are, of course, the most powerful drug used by mankind" - Rudyard Kipling
"None of us can have as many virtues as the fountain-pen, or half its cussedness; but we can try." - Mark Twain

"Always" is not something I can really answer, but I don't think that's what you really want to know and I'm being overly precise with language.

I'd say that I have not had a desire, and don't foresee myself wanting to, clean out my Aurora 88 gold cap. It will likely continue to be refilled with Pilot Blue/Black. Similarly, my Optima in green I found myself unable to clean out and put aside.

So 2 seem to stay inked. Currently I have 4 inked but the other 2 may or may not continue in service without breaks.

If interested, one of the remaining two is an Optima perla. The other is a new pen, a Faber Castell Ambition, which has a lovely nib.

Eight Ten pens at the moment:

1.LAMY 2000 (M)
Diamine Wagner
2.LAMY Vista (B )
KWZ Ink Green Gold
3.Pilot Dècimo (W-M)
Maruzen Athena Sepia
4.Pilot Prera (CM)
Bung Box L'Amant
5.Sailor Professional Gear White/Pink Gold (M-F)
Nagasawa Kobe #12 Okamoto Pink
6.TWSBI 580 Diamond (F)
Iroshizuku Tsuki-yo
7.Eversharp Skyline Demi (Semi-Flex)
Callifolio Olivastre
8.Edison Collier Antique (M)
Pelikan Edelstein Amber

Post Edit:

9.Platinum Preppy (M)
Noodler's NightShade
10.Platinum Preppy (M)
KWZ Ink Hunter

Ink, a drug.

― Vladimir Nabokov, Bend Sinister

Instagram:
a.transient.life

I have 8 as well, not including the two with italic nibs that I don't use for normal writing. I don't have trouble keeping track of the inks in use because I don't change inks much, but I do have trouble remembering how many inked pens I have. I had to count them. :P

I was once a bottle of ink, Inky Dinky Thinky Inky, Blacky Minky Bottle of Ink!

Yay! I finally get to play. lol

Do we count having an "in writing rotation" disposable?

If so:

1. Pilot Varsity Blue ink

2. Franklin-Covey Freemont - Black ink

3. Pilot Plumix - blue ink

4. Rotring Artpen - black ink - for practicing my foundation calligraphy (2.3mm)

5. Manuscript italic - black ink (1.1mm I think)