New Uk Member

cobalt

Hello, from sunny (yes, at least today) Kent in south east England. Very happy to join this group and look forward to learning from members, and sharing what I can.

I use fountain pens to write with. Ah, writing. Now that is of course a tale worth exploring and the joys of joined-up writing done well or not. Whether my hand is particularly legible or not, is quite another matter. I guess it is a combination of hand, pen, nib, ink, paper, and having something to say.

I am originally from Canada. While in school (Grades 7 and 8) I had a teacher who insisted we had a good handwriting style. Our classroom, in Ottawa, felt like something from another century. We had ink wells on our desks and had to write with dip pens. We had memory work (it felt like millions of lines to memorise each term) and lines on the board when we were bad. I was very good at writing on the blackboard!

I remember the fuss when we needed a new nib. A trip to the supply cupboard was followed by sucking the oil off the nib as we walked back to our desks. I recall that one major reason for needing a new nib was when we'd used our pens as darts.

We learned a particular writing style, I think it might have been the MacLean method. I can still quite easily fall into that style, but don't write that way now.

I use Clairfontaine A4 cloth bound notebooks (grid ruled) and generally like the paper, and fill a couple per year with work notes. I'm open to suggestions for other papers good for daily use.

I had my dad's old fountain pens (pre-war) but they got lost in a move, to my regret. My pens include Lamy, Waterman (needs a new nib), Conklin, Sheaffer, Dupont, Parker, all waiting their turn. None is particularly new.

I would be looking to add pens that are good for daily use. I find the nibs a bit too hard for my liking as I want the nib to respond to my hand pressure by spreading. I hope to learn more about older pens with real-world application in this forum.

My hobby is painting (abstract) and Sumi-e, Japanese brush painting (also abstract). I usually paint on paper and have a lot of different weights of paper, from very light Japanese papers to 850 GSM handmade paper. I also have a few nibs for dip work. I use a Japanese ink, not India ink/Sennelier type pigment inks.

Thank you and look forward to connecting with others here. Thanks.

Mike

...be like the ocean...

• Replies 15
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• cobalt

• ThomasB

• Dane

• AllieFromDevon

Hello and Welcome to FPN!! Glad to have you as a member!!

PAKMAN

minibanner.gif                                    Vanness-world-final.png.c1b120b90855ce70a8fd70dd342ebc00.png

My Favorite Pen Restorer                                             My Favorite Pen Store

Vanness Pens - Selling Online!

Hello Mike. Greetings from California and a warm welcome to FPN. It's great to have you here with us.

"Intolerance betrays want of faith in one's cause." - Gandhi -

Hi Mike, :W2FPN:

Clairefontaine makes good paper, but have you tried Rhodia ?

Edited by Wahl

Thank you for the warm welcome.

I look forward to learning more about Japanes pens, and exploring other pens and papers, too!

...be like the ocean...

Welcome !

I remember the dip pens and inkwells in school. My older brother used them. I was too young. When I became of age, we were using fountain pens. My first was a transparent Sheaffer cartridge pen.

"sucking the oil off the nib" (?) I have family and friends in the UK. You might be one of the stranger Britains. I think we would enjoy some details, please. :lticaptd:

Auf freiem Grund mit freiem Volke stehn.
Zum Augenblicke dürft ich sagen:
Verweile doch, du bist so schön !

Well, Sasha, the nibs were oily. I'm trying to find a picture of the nib on some nib sites (long, straight, bronze, and sharp to stick into things.... )

and strange is good! What would you like to know?

My new ink is Teal from Diamine.

Hi Allie from Devon!

...be like the ocean...

Hello Mike,

I read that you are sumi painting, I was wondering if you paint any in the notan style?

There are so many ways to draw and paint, and I wish I could live forever to be great at all of them!

At some point I would like to do more experimenting with the Japanese watercolor papers. Right now the only brand I like is d'Arches. I have a feeling that there are a lot of wonderful Japanese papers out there to paint on. Do you have any suggestions for a Japanese paper that is similar to a heavy cold press paper?

May you find tons of inspiration and ideas on the FPN site! Dan

Hi Dan, no not Notan. more abstracts than patterned. Check out Gao Xingjian for instance. Sorry, can't advise on heavy paper from Japan as I only use very filmy paper from Japan / China. For my acrylic work, I use paper from St Cuthberts Mill in England and Dalbe I pick up in Belgium. I use weights up to 850 gsm but usually around 450 gsm. I find that 300 gsm works best when I'm using my Japanese inks / brushes, but have to work the paper quite wet.. I have used Arches, though, and it is a good paper.

Happy inspiration to you too!

...be like the ocean...

• 4 months later...

Hello and welcome to FPN.

Recite, and your Lord is the most Generous  Who taught by the pen

Taught man that which he knew not (96/3-5)

Snailmail3.png Snail Mail