Platinum "soft" & Pilot / Namiki "soft"...

Moynihan

Hello,

I have a number of the Pilot "soft" nibs/pens, both the Falcon/Elabo nib style and the regular shaped nibs (74,91,742).

How does the softness and writing experience of the Platinum 3776 Century "soft" compare? specifically the soft-fine?

Does Sailor do a "soft" nib?

"I am a dancer who walks for a living" Michael Erard

"Reality then, may be an illusion, but the illusion itself is real." Niklas Luhmann

• Replies 7
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Moynihan

• EricTheRed

• Kugelschreiber

• Aramis

Hi Moynihan !

There is a video by Leo who compare the Pilot Custom 912 Soft-fine to the platinum 3776 Century Soft-fine and it gives a pretty good idea of who is softer ! The platinum Soft-fine seem finer and more stiff.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZRxGA2cfRy4

Have a good day,

Nicolas

Edited by Aramis

Thanks Nicolas !

"I am a dancer who walks for a living" Michael Erard

"Reality then, may be an illusion, but the illusion itself is real." Niklas Luhmann

I definitely found the Pilot SF (and SFM) softer than the Platinum SF. However, I recently got a 3776 with a SM nib. I find it at least as soft as any of the Pilots and just a delight to use.

"In times of universal deceit, telling the truth becomes a revolutionary act."

~ George Orwell

Sailor doesn't make soft nibs. They do however have a great selection in nibs, that is not available through Pilot and Platinum.

It all depends on your needs/wishes, what type of nib you need.

A collector of inks, currently doing my own ink challenge.

IG: mcvanwijk1

if you want a "full flex" nib you can probably go with the FA nib by pilot if you like hardy and fine Platinum, the very special and pricey nibs go with Sailor and very firm

at least its cheaper than an extra flessible nib from Omas

Edited by Algester

if you want a "full flex" nib you can probably go with the FA nib by pilot if you like hardy and fine Platinum, the very special and pricey nibs go with Sailor and very firm

at least its cheaper than an extra flessible nib from Omas

The FA has good 'ease-of-flex' (easier than the Falcon nibs which I consider springy) but it's barely into being a semi-flex let alone "full flex". Same eal with the Extra Flessible nib from Omas, which is more springy-to-semi-flex. They don't come close to the full flex of 5x-7x of the starting width with little pressure. (but then again, people abuse the FA, Falcons, Platinum Soft Fine, etc, so depends on how much you're willing to risk abusing the nib to treat it like a 'flex').

My comparison of the Platinum Soft Fine (as in on the Century 3776) compared to a Pilot Falcon Soft Fine

- More feedback

- Firmer at normal/light hand

- Not quite as much 'ease-of-flex' a little more push is required

- does not spread as much for the same amount used, I don't consider it doing more than 2x the starting width, before risk of damage occurs.

- Slightly finer line

- Dryer feed/flow (The Falcon is much wetter feed, even more so than Pilots paired with an 'FA' nib)

On the last bit, an FA nib on some of the Pilot Customs doesn't have enough wetness in the feed to be able to use it like the falcon before railroading, where as the falcon nib gets plenty of wetness from the feed, but doesn't spread as easily as the FA nib.

An old write sample from May 2014, that has the Falcon Soft Fine, Platinum Soft Fine, PTL-5000 EF (springy-ish), and an old 80s steel-nibbed korean-made version of the Pilot Elite with an EF that has 'some' give.

http://static.karlblessing.com/pens/inked/rhodia_inked_may30.jpg

Edited by KBeezie