Looking For A Pen- Help Me Out?

Iudicium

Hey there! I'm a 13 year old that has been using fountain pens since I was 9 or so (grew up in a household with some older members).

Most of the time, I've been using disposable or affordable pens- I recently purchased a jade Noodler's Creaper and really loved the thin design!

To get to the point- I'm looking for a fairly elegant piston pen (lots of jars of ink!). My budget is pretty low, as you'd expect, but I'm curious to see what I could find! I have about 25-30 dollars that I'd like to spend, and it would be nice to find colors like black, gold, ivory, etc. Lots of people at school know that I like using them, and I'd love to have a new one to use! Not that I no longer like the Noodler, but I've found that the amount of ink it can hold is too low for a day of notes. I prefer using it for doodling and writing shorter things.

As an added preference, it would be nice if the nib wasn't bold, and I'd like to avoid cartridge pens since I have so much ink accumulated. Chunky/large pens aren't really my thing either.

Thanks in advance!

• Replies 22
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Iudicium

• KBeezie

• Runnin_Ute

• migo984

To get to the point- I'm looking for a fairly elegant piston pen (lots of jars of ink!). My budget is pretty low, as you'd expect, but I'm curious to see what I could find! I have about 25-30 dollars that I'd like to spend, and it would be nice to find colors like black, gold, ivory, etc. Lots of people at school know that I like using them, and I'd love to have a new one to use! Not that I no longer like the Noodler, but I've found that the amount of ink it can hold is too low for a day of notes. I prefer using it for doodling and writing shorter things.

Excellent. Think of all the years you have ahead of yourself, pen wise. (Come to think of it, I started using a fountain pen at 14, a bit over 50 years ago. And I'm constantly finding new things about pens, inks and papers to enjoy.)

One of which was, a few weeks ago, an Indus, an Indian piston-filler fountain pen. You've got a choice of nibs: EF, F, M, B, Stub, Flex, 1mm Stub. I got the flex, which turns out to be a pretty nice fine/medium. Fountain Pen Revolution carries them, along with several other pens from India.

No connection to FPR, other than spending a little on one of their pens.

TWSBI Eco

Senator Windsor

Reform

Some German school pens.

Dollar pens

Indian pens

Any specific German school pens?

Excellent. Think of all the years you have ahead of yourself, pen wise. (Come to think of it, I started using a fountain pen at 14, a bit over 50 years ago. And I'm constantly finding new things about pens, inks and papers to enjoy.)

One of which was, a few weeks ago, an Indus, an Indian piston-filler fountain pen. You've got a choice of nibs: EF, F, M, B, Stub, Flex, 1mm Stub. I got the flex, which turns out to be a pretty nice fine/medium. Fountain Pen Revolution carries them, along with several other pens from India.

No connection to FPR, other than spending a little on one of their pens.

Thanks a bunch! I'll check it out :)

Don't completely dismiss cartridge pens, as most will also take a convertor allowing you to use your bottles of ink.

Don't completely dismiss cartridge pens, as most will also take a convertor allowing you to use your bottles of ink.

What sort of convertor? I was considering the Pilot Metropolitan and wanted to know the process of using a convertor.

What sort of convertor? I was considering the Pilot Metropolitan and wanted to know the process of using a convertor.

The pilot metropolitan comes with a squeeze converter (con-20), which you just dip the nib in the ink, give the converter a squeeze and release and it sucks up some ink. It'll also take the con-50 (piston/twist style converter), doesn't hold as much ink, but you can least see your ink level in the side. (it won't take the con-70, it's not one of the few pens that can).

In Pilot's case, their cartridges hold more ink than their converters. Where as on standard international, it's the other way around (unless it can take the long waterman style cartridges).

Edited by KBeezie

"The further a society drifts from truth, the more it will hate those who speak it."  - Selwyn Duke    

TWSBI Eco, holds a ridiculous amount of ink for its price point. Also can get many different nibs on it.

Those who hurt me were not only someone else,

but also those who pretended not to notice. It was my friend.

I'd cast my vote for the Reform 1745 - They are the classic school pen - piston fed, decently fine line that doesn't pour ink through cheaper notebook paper, clean up easy and can take a beating. If i remember correctly it was under $15 - and my gf took it over for school and it has never failed her. Contrary to popular opinion - I suggest against the Pilot Metro - it doesn't work in my hands for anything longer than half a page... All the best!

What does writing like a bold mean?

Do you mean the lines are too thick for you - in which case you could just get a smaller nib for your Lamy - you could go for an F or EF and it might work out cheaper.

If you mean that the writing is too dark - it might not pen the pen, but the paper or the ink. Thick lines can also be a consequence of the paper - if the ink bleeds into the paper then the lines will be thicker.

What does writing like a bold mean?

Do you mean the lines are too thick for you - in which case you could just get a smaller nib for your Lamy - you could go for an F or EF and it might work out cheaper.

If you mean that the writing is too dark - it might not pen the pen, but the paper or the ink. Thick lines can also be a consequence of the paper - if the ink bleeds into the paper then the lines will be thicker.

Probably means the Lamy Nibs (ie: the ones that go on the Safari) tend to be somewhat inconsistent, write a western sizing (when consistent), and tend to also write a bit on the wet side (which can cause more bleed/feathering that may give a much broader appearance on cheaper paper).

By comparison the M and F on a Pilot Metropolitan will not only be finer, but tend to be dryer (especially their Fine nibs which write finer than I typically see a Safari's EF write).

I've once had a brand new Lamy EF nib that wrote broader than the F nib that was already on it, with the same ink.

Edited by KBeezie

For taking pens to school, I have two recommendations. First, you should only bring pens that you'd be ok losing or breaking. The school environment isn't a fountain pen friendly environment! Second, you should bring two pens. If you find yourself consistently running out of ink, that second pen is a great addition to your academic pursuit!

As a point of reference, I have 5 pen wrap that goes with me to work. I keep two pens on me at all times for meetings, notes, minutes, to-do lists, etc. I've had to switch to the backup a few times.

For your choice and your budget, the Lamy Safari and Al-Star give you an exceptional number of color choices and are rugged pens. Most converters are actually pistons that reside inside the body of the pen rather than part of the pen structure. So you can easily use every bottle of ink you've got on your shelf.

With fewer color choices available, the Pilot Metropolitan or Prera are excellent pens in your price range. These Japanese nibs run finer than their Western counterparts, but they are good pens and always come recommended on FPN.

A fun choice for you might be to look at a couple of vintage options. You can get an Esterbrook J class pen with a nib of your choice in your price range. These rugged pens have all of the advantages of a wide range of colors, interchangeable nibs, lever filler for quick refills from a bottle, and a very rugged design. Right up there (and potentially exceeding the Js) is the Parker 45. The 45s came in more colors than any other pen in the Parker lineup and also offers a squeeze converter, interchangeable nib, and lightweight design. Many members on the forum carried two of these through college and became their mainstay fountain pen. You have no shortage of good pens to explore!

Buzz

Parker 45 is a good bet. I wonder is someone can sponsora PIF for you. The 45 has a long cartridge that can filled with ink via a syringe and they are classy and very simple. If you can find a fine nib, the better, since ink will last longer and you will ahve to refill with less frquency. On a mothern note (preferably) I would second the Metropolitan with a fine nib again... Very reliable, easy to fill and it has a nice looking classic rounded look. It is within budget, as well as the ECO... Modern pens for ayoung person,

Parker 45 is a great option - and within your budget. Of course you will be buying "previously owned" for the most part as NOS are more expensive and harder to find. The fine nib is really nice.

The Pilot Metropolitan with M is more like a western fine. I like my P45's better than my Metropolitan but that is just a personal preference rather than anything wrong with the pen.

Lamy Al Star and Safari are good pens in your budget as well. Budget $5 for a converter as it doesn't come with one.

Brad

"Words are, of course, the most powerful drug used by mankind" - Rudyard Kipling
"None of us can have as many virtues as the fountain-pen, or half its cussedness; but we can try." - Mark Twain

Parker 45 is a good bet. I wonder is someone can sponsora PIF for you. The 45 has a long cartridge that can filled with ink via a syringe and they are classy and very simple. If you can find a fine nib, the better, since ink will last longer and you will ahve to refill with less frquency. On a mothern note (preferably) I would second the Metropolitan with a fine nib again... Very reliable, easy to fill and it has a nice looking classic rounded look. It is within budget, as well as the ECO... Modern pens for ayoung person,

What do you mean by "sponsoring a PIF for me"? And thanks for the information :)

You could contact member Alexander_k on here, via a PM, & explain what you're looking for. He often has very good value German piston-fillers for sale & might be able to find something for you within your price bracket. He's in the Netherlands but his shipping is very reasonable.

Edited by migo984

Verba volant, scripta manent