Pilot Decimo Questions

sirgilbert357

So, I got interested in the Pilot Vanishing Point thanks to a friend, but through the discussion in another thread I started, see below, I've decided a Decimo would be a better fit:

https://www.fountainpennetwork.com/forum/topic/294466-questions-about-the-pilot-vanishing-point/

So, I'm currently trying to find the best place to buy one of these and it seems choices are quite limited for sourcing a Decimo. I'm finding them on eBay and global.Rakuten, but none of them have good shipping options so far. I'm not OK with the "Economy" shipping...its basically "wait a month and hope you get your pen". So, can anyone point me to a good seller (preferably in the USA in case a return is needed for some reason) with FAST shipping, or at least 3-5 days, not 3-5 weeks? I'll buy from Japan or an international site if I need to, but would like to make sure I get a solid legit seller with a good reputation at the least.

Also, I am in the midst of deciding on the nib size. I currently use a Pelikan M205 in medium and a Parker 45 in medium. The Pelikan is perfect and I'd like the Pilot to be similar. Some reviews say the medium is basically a western medium and others say they are about a half size smaller. Based on this, I'm prepared to order the bold and have it tuned by Art to slim it down if need be, but it'd be nice to hear from more users with the Vanishing Point or Decimo in medium.

I plan to get the dark blue mica Decimo by the way...

• Replies 16
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• sirgilbert357

• rafapa

• ac12

• T4TEXAS

Jetpens.com has them. Shipping from California.

"You can't wait for inspiration. You have to go after it with a club."

- Jack London

http://i729.photobucket.com/albums/ww296/messiah_FPN/Badges/SnailBadge.png

Amazon has some too. They fulfill for some Japanese companies and sell some on their own. Great pen. My Decimo is my daily carry.

Jetpens.com has them. Shipping from California.

This is true, they do. And it would be very nice to combine an order for the Decimo, some ink and some erasers for my Kuru Toga, but I will only order from them if I decide to go with a medium. And right now, I'm really leaning towards the Bold, just because I don't want to get something too narrow.

I see replacement nib units in medium all day long, but none in bold...so my thinking is get the bold and if its too bold, get the medium nib unit or have the bold tuned...

Amazon has some too. They fulfill for some Japanese companies and sell some on their own. Great pen. My Decimo is my daily carry.

Yes, currently, Amazon is the ONLY place that I see a dark blue mica Decimo in bold with a decent shipping timeframe...but there is only ONE left (kind of hoping no one buys it out from under me)...

But I'm not sure I'm ready to buy just yet...

Edited by sirgilbert357

I bought a broad nib and changed it to a medium because it was too broad. For me the M nib is equivalent to the Pelikan M of a M215.

I bought a broad nib and changed it to a medium because it was too broad. For me the M nib is equivalent to the Pelikan M of a M215.

Hmm...is that the same nib that the M205 uses though?

Yes, the M200, M205 and M215 nibs are the same size and type (if sometimes in different colors).

Current Daily Carry: Pilot Custom 743 with 14k Posting nib (Sailor Kiwa-Guro), Sailor 1911L Realo Champagne with 21k Extra Fine nib (Sailor Tokiwa-Matsu). Platinum Century 3776 Bourgogne (Diamine Syrah), Nakaya Portable Writer Midori with 14k Extra Extra Fine nib (Lamy Peridot), Pilot Vanishing Point Stealth Black with Extra Fine nib unit (Pilot Blue Black), a dozen Nockco DotDash index cards of various sizes and a Traveler's Notebook.

I think so.

OK. Thanks for the feedback. Maybe I should just get the medium...

Yes, the M200, M205 and M215 nibs are the same size and type (if sometimes in different colors).

Good! Thanks!

So, thanks to this info and the relative difficulty sourcing a bold, I'm going to roll the dice and order the medium. I'm a little nervous about it, but I guess it can always be tuned if I decide the medium is too narrow...

Edited by sirgilbert357

Thanks for all the feedback guys. I think I'll place my order tonight for a medium nib Decimo.

Well, ordered the dark blue mica Decimo in medium last night. It should be here Thursday. Looking forward to it. Also got some Iroshizuku Asa-Gao ink since I've heard a bit about it and wanted to try it. Since this was quite the "decision" on nib size, I will be sure to post up a comparison of the medium against my other mediums in case it helps others in the future making a similar decision. Hopefully it will be a keeper and I won't have to send it off to be tuned...

Got my Decimo, already gave a full reply in the other thread I started, which got moved to this forum. Here is a copy and paste of that reply just to maintain the continuity:

Just to update this thread (did it get moved to this forum?? I thought I posted it in "First Stop"?), I got my Decimo today and inked it up with Pilot Iroshizuku Asa-Gao, which I bought at the same time as the Decimo. I'm in love! Its so smooth and the medium is basically just the same as my Pelikan M205 and Parker 45 medium, so no complaints about it being too fine. Very happy overall.

Just one oddity: the pen came from JetPens with an empty cartridge installed and a wrapped, unused black ink cart also in the box. I don't understand why there would be an empty ink cart in the pen. It certainly looked brand new and untouched, and when I inked it up, there was no residual ink that I could see...so yeah. Not sure whats going on there; or is that just how they ship? If anyone has any input, it would be appreciated.

hmmm nib sizing seems odd.

My old US Parker 45 F is like a Pelikan 200 XF. I would expect the Parker 45 M to be like a Pelikan F.

Unless maybe you have a later UK Parker 45. I think the UK nib sizes is wider than the older US nib sizes.

San Francisco Pen Show - August 28-30, 2020 - Redwood City, California

www.SFPenShow.com