• Replies 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Charles Rice

• TSherbs

• rwilsonedn

• Sailor Kenshin

Thanks! This is one of the most cogent articles on the subject that I've seen outside this noble forum.

ron

Thanks! This is one of the most cogent articles on the subject that I've seen outside this noble forum.

ron

I was just about make a similar comment, but you beat me to it!

Sharon in Indiana

"There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man; true nobility is being superior to your former self." Earnest Hemingway

That's a good article.

We will have to wrestle with the concept of teaching skills versus giving people an education and the ability to think. Too many countries are leaning toward teaching skills when the incredible advances of the modern era have been done through education and dreaming.

Buzz

• 3 weeks later...

That's a good article.

We will have to wrestle with the concept of teaching skills versus giving people an education and the ability to think. Too many countries are leaning toward teaching skills when the incredible advances of the modern era have been done through education and dreaming.

Buzz

+ 1

Thou shalt not stir one foot to seek a foe.

Eadem Mutata Resurgo.

Someone should tell the Finns.

In Sweden cursive writing hasn't been taught in many years. I learned something between cursive and joined-up writing in 2nd grade in the late 80's, but was never forced to use it in exams etc. Now they only teach print and a little bit joined-up writing.

YNWA - JFT97

Instagram: inkyandy

Some of the schools around here have been toying with the idea of going paperless.

I've been teaching my 4 year old grandaughter to write.

She loves it!

I think people who expect to see writing (or physical printed books, for that matter) disappear are in the minority - there are just too many cases where paper books and ink and paper writing is more convenient: it can't run out of battery so you can be away from power sources for long periods of time and most people find themselves far less likely to be distracted taking notes manually (if you have a computer open, then you might as well check your emails... and why not social media... and what's the name of that actress in that film you saw last night..?) That's just off the top of my head. I really struggle to believe that paper is a dying medium.

It may have been mentioned in previous threads, but a study by Mueller and Oppenheimer (described here: http://ww2.kqed.org/mindshift/2015/08/18/taking-notes-is-the-pen-still-mightier-than-the-keyboard/ ) once again confirms the value of hand-written--and even doodled-upon--notes for retention.

The evidence seems to be getting pretty strong.

ron

A problem I'm finding more and more is people actually being able to read my handwriting. Not that I have the most beautiful handwriting in the world, but it is also not the worst I've seen. People are just not used to handwriting, both reading and writing.

I taught my daughter, not 9 to write in cursive as it is something that has been a daily part of my life since I learned how to write when I was 4. My mom stressed the importance of writing and cursive because of the memory retention for information when you write it. Even now as I construct story ideas or work on writing for my creative writing class. It is always on paper first and in cursive. Whether sloppy or not, it is legible to me. My ideas dont flow well on the computer and writing by hand feels more free. Less options for distraction. I can go to the park with a notebook and a few pens and dont have the problem with being distracted by technology.

I plan to teach all of my kids to write in cursive. I went to the dentist today and she was surprised to see me sitting in there writing as I waited for her to come in the room. As much as I love technology, it saddens me how many people have made it all or nothing.

Life isn't always what you make it. Sometimes it just falls in your lap and you have to deal with it.

Sorry, but there is nothing you can do about it. Might as well ask for the return of the hoop skirt and Kodachrome.

Sorry, but there is nothing you can do about it. Might as well ask for the return of the hoop skirt and Kodachrome.

Don't know about the hoop skirt, but Kodachrome I'd definitely have back.

My wife has a whole closet full of hoop skirts. And I have a three-cornered hat with ostritch plumes and a claw-hammer coat. When we attend a Mozart concert, we go properly attired. Turns heads, it does.

There are many practical things that aren't taught in schools. It looks like parents will have to add cursive writing to the list of things they have to teach at home. Think of the fun! The kids will be able to pass notes in class and the teacher will be unable to read them. When I was a kid, some of us learned "dactygraphy" or spelling with the fingers (it is part of ASL today). The teachers couldn't handle that at all.

Edited by Paddler

Can a calculator understand a cash register?

My wife has a whole closet full of hoop skirts. And I have a three-cornered hat with ostritch plumes and a claw-hammer coat. When we attend a Mozart concert, we go properly attired. Turns heads, it does.

It would be fun to see a photo of the two of you so dressed (just so long as she is the one wearing the hoop skirt)