Edson Users...what Do You Carry Yours In?

drafty

Hi all,

As the title suggests, I have a blue Sapphire Edson in my collection. Only thing is, I'm afraid to take it to places other than my home to write - such as cafes and bars - for fear of it getting damaged; more in transit than when at the venue itself. This makes me silly, in my own opinion, for having one!

I had a great suggestion from RMN, and I had thought of it myself, of a cigar tube. I will check this out later.

Currently I have a 3 pen Franklin-Christoph case as my carry-around, but that has too much space at the side for things to get at the pen etc... plus, I keep some other pens in there.

Now, I put a thread in Pen and other Para but I thought it might get more traction here amongst the Edson heads!

Basically, I want something compact and protective that doesn't have much wiggle/rattle room for Ed.

Also...PLEASE just post a pic, as it might be interesting anyway to see the various cases/methods and what not!!!

Thanks all you FPeers

"Behind every great man is a woman rolling her eyes."

• Replies 19
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• drafty

• Eccles

• Left FPN

• stevesurf

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Man! The Waterman crowd is tough..lol

Edited by Drafty

• 2 weeks later...

In a pen case between times, and in my shirt pocket when in use!

I bought mine to use, and that's where my users live when it's their turn in the rotation. I have one I bought new with the stub nib, and one with a medium nib that was used off eBay.

Yes, it's a premium model pen... and in Oz that is a ridiculous A$2700.00 worth of premium, not that I paid that... but if you thought about the price you'd never use the darned things!

Enjoy your pen.

Regards,

Glenn.

I keep mine in the single zip leather pouch that my Franklin Christophs came in. Enjoy your beautiful pen. Scratches happen. No big deal.

post-36725-0-00281800-1439298569_thumb.jpg

I keep mine in the single zip leather pouch that my Franklin Christophs came in. Enjoy your beautiful pen. Scratches happen. No big deal.

OK, so you're saying I need to get a Franklin-Christoph pen now...darn! Well...If I have to :rolleyes:

On a more serious note, thanks, it's nice to hear everyone doesn't keep theirs locked away. I have something on the way to carry it in now, but I'm going to stop being so precious about it.

In a pen case between times, and in my shirt pocket when in use!

I bought mine to use, and that's where my users live when it's their turn in the rotation. I have one I bought new with the stub nib, and one with a medium nib that was used off eBay.

Yes, it's a premium model pen... and in Oz that is a ridiculous A$2700.00 worth of premium, not that I paid that... but if you thought about the price you'd never use the darned things!

Enjoy your pen.

Regards,

Glenn.

True Glenn, it is an instrument and not a show piece, though with some pens I have trouble telling the difference.

That's an insane price in Australia!

I've always wondered how the stub looks, they are pretty rare. You wouldn't post a pic with a writing example would you?

Insane price alright! Which is why I bought from UK. I requested the nib exchange here in Australia; should have got the seller to do it... hindsight is wonderful!

I was initially told no such nib was available, so I produced contrary evidence from official Waterman dealers' websites. They don't seem too common, and I believe they were being 'run out' at the time, the same as Pelikan have done with their more interesting but less demanded sizes.

Our pens are sent to Hong Kong for exchanges... go figure... and they found one for me!

My handwriting is not great, but I love the nib, and it was well worth the hassle & postal costs of the exchange.

Hopefully the pics will attach, as requested.

Regards,

Glenn.

post-29201-0-82577700-1439550097_thumb.jpgpost-29201-0-87650700-1439550098_thumb.jpgpost-29201-0-56271400-1439550099_thumb.jpg

Thanks a lot for that!!

I think I'd prefer mine with that stub, but not sure I could get hold of one now. I still enjoy writing with the medium though.

I actually have an Emerald nib section in medium and I'm going to find the rest of it somewhere, one day, maybe...

Your handwriting is great actually; It looks laid back but classy. I dislike uptight handwriting!

Cheers mate.

Hi,

I carry my Edson in a Waterman pouch.

post-9961-0-16558800-1439583350_thumb.jpg

post-9961-0-97907800-1439583363_thumb.jpg

I think Waterman doesn't make these any more.

The dark blue colour is fading a bit and becoming somewhat brownish.

I don know how to fix that.

Jos.

Wow. That's nice. I didn't even know they existed.

You could ask Michael (my63). He works with leather and may know why it does that.

Thanks for posting that.

Hi,

I carry my Edson in a Waterman pouch.

attachicon.gif20150814_215853.jpg

attachicon.gif20150814_215923.jpg

I think Waterman doesn't make these any more.

The dark blue colour is fading a bit and becoming somewhat brownish.

I don know how to fix that.

Jos.

They are still around :)

http://global.rakuten.com/en/store/buneido/item/368969/

http://thumbnail.image.rakuten.co.jp/@0_mall/buneido/cabinet/ikou_20100331/img10032695902.jpg

Best regards,
Steve Surfaro
Fountain Pen Fun
Cities of the world (please visit my Facebook page for more albums)
Paris | Venezia

I actually have an Emerald nib section in medium and I'm going to find the rest of it somewhere, one day, maybe...

Cheers mate.

To parody The 4 Yorkshiremen... "Emerald?... Luxury!"

I always fancied one of them, but by the time I was shopping seriously for an Edson red & green were discontinued and only available on the aftermarket at a premium.

Given my Yorkshire & Scots heritage, that was unacceptable so I bought blue.

Regards,

Glenn.

To parody The 4 Yorkshiremen... "Emerald?... Luxury!"

I always fancied one of them, but by the time I was shopping seriously for an Edson red & green were discontinued and only available on the aftermarket at a premium.

Given my Yorkshire & Scots heritage, that was unacceptable so I bought blue.

Regards,

Glenn.

Personally, I still think the blue is the best looking, which is possibly why it remained in production. And I only have a nib section for the emerald anyway.

For someone to be selling all parts other than the nib section means their nib may have been damaged beyond repair. And I wouldn't wish that on anyone.

In fact I'd probably send them my emerald nib section

*sigh*

Not wishing to hijack this topic but as it has been mentioned complete pens can still be found at a good price.

This is a recent purchase for £290.

Mint Emerald Green with Fine nib, boxed with correct green converter and 2 boxes of long cartridges.

The manual was missing but thanks NR Customer Service that was very quickly rectified.

Also, it is one or the no number cap versions confirmed genuine by Waterman France.

fpn_1440491429__dscn1229.jpg

When working I carried mine thus, wrapped in a glasses cleaning cloth and then placed inside a cutter box.

fpn_1440491792__dscn1302.jpg

PS, Fergus is still with us and progressing slowly.

Edited by Force

Thanks Force, please hijack.

Nice find for that price. It really does look mint. I'm not sure where you look but it's the right place!

Personally, I can't do ebay which I'm sure is the best place to get deals but I'm not good enough to spot the bad eggs.

My emerald nib section is still lonely. I considered getting a rollerball off someone and switching the FP nib in, but then I can only use small cartridges so it's not ideal.

I asked Dutchpen too but he's out of pieces and even then he only gets nibs really. Not sure if there are ever barrels and caps going somewhere.

Probably will end up selling the nib and finding a complete emerald at some point. I just liked the idea of building it up over time.

It was an eBay purchase. It was listed early morning as BIN £350 with offers. I asked the seller the nib size and if any damage but did not get a quick reply so took a gamble and offered £290 fully expecting a counter offer. My offer was almost immediately accepted along with the correct answers to my questions.

Not wishing to hijack this topic but as it has been mentioned complete pens can still be found at a good price.

This is a recent purchase for £290.

Mint Emerald Green with Fine nib, boxed with correct green converter and 2 boxes of long cartridges.

The manual was missing but thanks NR Customer Service that was very quickly rectified.

Also, it is one or the no number cap versions confirmed genuine by Waterman France.

fpn_1440491429__dscn1229.jpg

When working I carried mine thus, wrapped in a glasses cleaning cloth and then placed inside a cutter box.

fpn_1440491792__dscn1302.jpg

PS, Fergus is still with us and progressing slowly.

This is glorious!!! the one Edson I do not have :) Thanks Force and Drafty.

Best regards,
Steve Surfaro
Fountain Pen Fun
Cities of the world (please visit my Facebook page for more albums)
Paris | Venezia

It was an eBay purchase. It was listed early morning as BIN £350 with offers. I asked the seller the nib size and if any damage but did not get a quick reply so took a gamble and offered £290 fully expecting a counter offer. My offer was almost immediately accepted along with the correct answers to my questions.

Dayamn! I wonder how low they would have gone. And did they know what they had!!!? I can't see them for less than $1000 on ebay

Good going anyway Force. I'll keep a look out.

Meantime, if you ever need a medium nib and I still haven't found the rest for it...

• 2 weeks later...