Serious Question: Why Does My M800 Write On Paper Other Pens Can't?

lurcho

Just started a very disappointing Rhodia Webbie. My first.

My Lamy 2000 (medium), OMAS Extra (fine), Pilot Decimo (broad), and recently-deceased Pilot Custo 74 (medium) all beaded a bit. The inks were variously Waterman Florida/Serenity Blue, Waterman Black, and Diamine Ancient Copper.

I can't believe how poor this paper is for my pens at least.

And yet the Pelikan M800 eats it.

And it's been a similar experience in the past with other papers, cheap and posh. The M800 doesn't care.

II'm not simply ringing this pen's praises. It honestly doesn't make sense to me. The extent of the difference with other pens. Because it doesn't seem to be just wetness.

This is is a pre-2000 M800 with a chisel-edge. It was ruined by one nibmeister in Britain, and then forged into Excalibur by Richard Binder about 13 years ago.

Any ideas. I am stumped.

• Replies 10
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• lurcho

• ______Zaphod_Beeblebrox

• senzen

• Namru

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

Serious Question: Why Does My M800 Write On Paper Other Pens Can't?

Are you left or right handed?

San Francisco International Pen Show - The next “Funnest Pen Show” is on schedule for August 23-24-25, 2024.  Watch the show website for registration details. 

My PM box is usually full. Just email me: my last name at the google mail address.

It is just what Richard Binder did to it, has nothing to do with the Pen itself.

It is just what Richard Binder did to it, has nothing to do with the Pen itself.

He is no god, he only makes the pen shows it true potential.

What i concern is why other pens couldn't write properly? Skip or what? Are your pens too dry or too wet?

All of my pens write perfectly on Rhodia Webnotebooks. Most of them are wet and juicy.

It wasn't a mere paean to Binder. I can't work out why the difference is so pronounced.

I do think the Pelikan feed is second to none, actually, and that's one thing.

The reason for the post was that I don't want this particular pen to be the only one of its quality I'll ever be able to get. Firstly, Pelikan don't make this species of nib tip anymore (they just add a lump of solder to the end), and, secondly, Binder has retired because he's evil and selfish and has forsaken the axiom that with great power comes great responsibility.

I hate him and I hope he gets a verucca.

Edited by lurcho

And what ink is in the Pelikan?

San Francisco Pen Show - August 28-30, 2020 - Redwood City, California

www.SFPenShow.com

At the moment it's Florida Blue, which I've recently gone off a bit. Because of its tendency to pale after drying on several papers, such as Black n' Red.

You sound like a diagnostician.

Sorry, so what is the actual problem you have with your other pens? You said they 'beaded'? What does that mean?

You also say that Richard Binder fixed the nibs, but not what he actually did. What was done to fix the nibs?

Rhoda paper tends to be rather slick and ink resistant. This means ink tends to sit on top of the paper and take longer to dry. It also means that pens with a baby's bottom are more likely to skip on this type of paper.

I seriously doubt that all your different pens have a baby's bottom. My guess at this stage is you don't hold your nibs flat to the page, probably tilted to one stage. On more fibrous paper the pens can still write fine, but on slick, smooth paper they just can't make enough contact to write correctly. My guess is that Binder but an Oblique foot on your nibs so it writes smoothly and perfectly for how you hold it.

The only other thing I can think that fits with the 'beaded' description is if the ink is sitting in drops on the paper rather than lines. This would not be an issue with the pens or the ink, but with the paper. This could potentially be caused if excess of the paper treatment Clairefontaine uses on their paper was applied, resulting in a very slick, waxy surface that the ink will not stick to. This would be a major fault for Rhodia, and fairly unlikely.

Edited by msolok

<p>Currently collection:<strong>Lamy Safari's</strong> x5, <strong>Lamy Al Star's</strong> x3, <strong>Lamy Studio's </strong>x2, A <strong>Lamy 2000</strong>, <strong>Kaweco Sports/AL Sports</strong> x7, <strong>Noodlers pens (Konrad and Ahab)</strong> x10, <strong>Noodlers Konrad Ebonite</strong> x2, <strong>Hero 616</strong> x10, <strong>Reform 1745</strong> x10, <strong>Sailor 1911m</strong> x2, <strong>Sailor 1911 Realo</strong> x3, <strong>Sailor Pro Gear Realo</strong> x2, <strong>Sailor Pro Gear Imperial Black</strong>, <strong>Sailor 1911 Sterling Silver</strong>, <strong>Visconti Opera Club Cherry Juice</strong> (M <span>Dreamtouch</span> Nib), <strong>Visconti Opera Elements </strong>x3 (Amber and Black with M <span>Dreamtouch</span> Nib, Blue with M Gold Nib), <strong>Visconti Homo Sapiens Steel Age Maxi</strong>, <strong>Visconti Homo Sapiens Bronze Age</strong>, <strong>Montblanc 146 Le Grande</strong>... Plus I am sure I have forgotten some.

Smooth paper and a baby bottomed nib aren't a great combination. Best to look at your nibs under a loupe.

When my pens stopped working with Clairefontaine paper it turned out I was leaving oily residue on it with my hand, I started writing with a small sheet of paper under it and that solved it... Might be your problem?

"The trouble with the world is that the stupid are cocksure and the intelligent are full of doubt."

B. Russell