Montblanc 149: Can "f" Writes Like An "m" And Does This One Leak?

thitiv

Hello Everyone, I bought a used 149 from an online seller in the U.K. last week. The serial number on the warranty card matches the one inscribed on the pen cap. But what I am curious is the nib size. The warranty card says the nib is Fine (F). But many of my friends who are FP fans say, from what it writes, it should be a Medium (M) nib. Could it be possible that an F writes like an M?

Also, I was trying to switch the ink from Diamine Blue Velvet to Diamine Bilberry yesterday. When I attempted to screw the piston to remove blue velvet back into its bottle, some ink came out from the piston side. This is my first piston pen; I suppose that this could be a normal behaviour of the piston. But when I explained the symptom to a friend who has a 146, he recalls similar experience, said there is a slight leak near the piston threads and suggested that I visit a boutique to have it repaired. Is this normal? Should I have it repaired or should I live with it?

Cheers!!

Thiti

post-124063-0-60837400-1438242755_thumb.jpeg

post-124063-0-01833200-1438243304_thumb.jpg

Montblanc POA Pavarotti 422 of 4810 | WE Dumas (son) 522 of 20000 | Meisterstuck 149

Lots of Montblanc and Diamine Ink
Gold 12-inch Apple Retina MacBook

• Replies 24
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• thitiv

• hari317

• pp763

• Uncial

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I have a 149 M nib that writes like a B, if that's any consolation. It depends on what you are used to and whether or not you have been spoiled by Japanese nib sizings. However, I really don't think you should have ink leaking out of the piston.

There shouldn't be any leaking around the piston threads. Was there wet or dried ink around the threads?

Does the piston move freely?

MontBlanc has a nib exchange service. Could be that a former owner of the pen had the nib exchanged from a Fine to a Medium.

I have a MontBlanc with a F sticker on the box and a big BB nib in the pen ;=))

Ink coming out the piston threads could mean that the seal is leaking.

Since you bought the pen a week ago I suggest you contact the seller. I suppose the pen is sold as being in working order. Seller can give you a refund or have the pen fixed at his cost.

@Uncial, @meiers there were some dried ink on the brass end 'plate' of the piston when it first arrived. I flushed and rinsed the pen with water until what came out were clear. I feel the piston moves freely with snug vacuum fit feeling. The ink leaked only a little as droplets.

There is also a possibly related symptom: After cleaning the pen by draining the ink into its bottle and filling clean water in and out several rounds, I notice a mixture of ink-water leaking from the end of the piston. When I wiped the pen dry and put it in my shirt pocket, after hours my pocket would become dirty because these leftover droplets collected at the bottom and was absorbed by the shirt pocket. I asked the seller by mail and was suggested that this is normal and that I should let the pen dry for at least several hours before I refill the ink.

I should note that the ink doesn't leak from the piston end during normal daily uses. Everything feels very normal. It happens only when I attempt to flush, drain, or re-ink the pen.

Montblanc POA Pavarotti 422 of 4810 | WE Dumas (son) 522 of 20000 | Meisterstuck 149

Leaking from the end i.e. side of the piston knob is not normal.

I suggest you have it looked after by a penrepair person or a Montblanc shop / dealer / boutique.

I wonder why the seller wrote F on the booklet. What knowledge did they have of the nib? It writes thicker than when my 149 had a medium nib on it.

<strong class='bbc'>Current Pens</strong>Montblanc 161, 162, 146 Solitaire Silver Barley BB, 146P EF, 149 OBB, Generation BP, Solitaire Steel Doue BP Waterman Edson M, Omas 360 L.E Vintage 2013 B, Omas Paragon HT B, Platinum President B, Pilot Custom 74 B, Sailor King Profit Ebonite B

Thank you, rvthof. I would visit a local Montblanc boutique here in Bangkok sometime then.

Edited by thitiv

Ink leakage is not normal, have it looked at. The nib looks slightly splayed in the picture, perhaps that would explain the thick line it makes. Can you take a picture of the nib top side?

In case you wish to write to me, pls use ONLY email by clicking here. I do not check PMs. Thank you.

My 149 which is now 15 years old was serviced after 12 years of use with no problems whatsoever although these leakages can happen to anything mechanical. If you contact montblanc Im sure they will give it a very thorough inspection and return it as new and also be able to tell you the nib size

<strong class='bbc'>Current Pens</strong>Montblanc 161, 162, 146 Solitaire Silver Barley BB, 146P EF, 149 OBB, Generation BP, Solitaire Steel Doue BP Waterman Edson M, Omas 360 L.E Vintage 2013 B, Omas Paragon HT B, Platinum President B, Pilot Custom 74 B, Sailor King Profit Ebonite B

Ink leakage is not normal, have it looked at. The nib looks slightly splayed in the picture, perhaps that would explain the thick line it makes. Can you take a picture of the nib top side?

Here is a close up picture of the nib from my iPhone camera.

post-124063-0-98217500-1438251316_thumb.jpg

Edited by thitiv

My 149 which is now 15 years old was serviced after 12 years of use with no problems whatsoever although these leakages can happen to anything mechanical. If you contact montblanc Im sure they will give it a very thorough inspection and return it as new and also be able to tell you the nib size

Thank you, pp. I heard that Montblanc service turnaround time is up to 1-2 months. Since a Lamy Safari that I had been using for 15 years before I bought the 149 would be my only spare pen and that I have now fallen deeply in love with the 149, I may need to buy another spare pen while I wait for this 149 to get repaired :(

@hari, Is this picture better? I don't have a proper camera. An iPhone is my only camera though.

post-124063-0-85671800-1438253610_thumb.jpg

@hari, Is this picture better? I don't have a proper camera. An iPhone is my only camera though.

It is much better and its alright, most of us work with phone cameras only. :) the nib appears to have a slight mis-alignment and the tip looks like a M nib only. so either the original buyer did a nib swap through MB after purchase to M or MB mislabelled the pen.

HTH.

In case you wish to write to me, pls use ONLY email by clicking here. I do not check PMs. Thank you.

@Uncial, @meiers there were some dried ink on the brass end 'plate' of the piston when it first arrived. I flushed and rinsed the pen with water until what came out were clear.

When you rinsed the pen, did you rinse the whole pen?

Water could have got in to the 'wrong' side of the the piston, if you rinsed the back end of the barrel.

Always try to keep the turning knob end of the pen dry, when washing/rinsing etc.

Good luck.

It is much better and its alright, most of us work with phone cameras only. :) the nib appears to have a slight mis-alignment and the tip looks like a M nib only. so either the original buyer did a nib swap through MB after purchase to M or MB mislabelled the pen.

HTH.

Thank you very much, Hari!

When you rinsed the pen, did you rinse the whole pen?

Water could have got in to the 'wrong' side of the the piston, if you rinsed the back end of the barrel.

Always try to keep the turning knob end of the pen dry, when washing/rinsing etc.

Good luck.

@CS388, I did rinse the whole pen at the kitchen sink. I'll try your advice in the first place. Thank you!

@CS388, I did rinse the whole pen at the kitchen sink. I'll try your advice in the first place. Thank you!

But did you rinse the whole pen with the piston knob opened and the brass threads showing? if so, that could've been the water you saw.

You could try waiting until it's bone dry and do a flush but with a cup of water and just drawing up and expelling that water. You should not see water at the piston knob end of the pen, if there is, the seal of the piston is probably damaged.