Money Spent On Ink And Fountain Pens

Charles Skinner

During the many years when I was a black ink only man, I had no idea that there were so many ink colors and that people bought so many different colors of ink. So, I have a question. Do you think that most fountain pen lovers and ink lovers, spend more money on their pens or on their inks? Just answer the question for yourself. That would be a start in trying to find the answer if enough of you answered. Think of it as a "poll."

C. S.

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• amberleadavis

• haruka337

• Tas

• cimmerian

I'm confident I've spent more $$ on pens, I have several that are less than $80, but more that are nice and cost more. My most expensive is the FPN Stipula from a few years back. I think that was in excess of $600.

However, I hasten to add I've spent lots of money on inks too. But at $12 or $25 a bottle you can get a lot of ink for a $500 pen.

Now I'm curious. I need to take inventory!

Inks.

I mull over fountain pen purchases, but I don't bat an eye about spending a few hundred on inks. Ink is the other half of the equation--sometimes it's the more relevant aspect. Though, I will say that I'm in the minority.

Ink, a drug.

― Vladimir Nabokov, Bend Sinister

Instagram:
a.transient.life

More money goes into the pens, no doubt. The combined cost of my two most expensive pens is more than I've spent on ink. I'd imagine it to be the same in most cases.

I believe in living a balanced life. For example: $100.00 pen requires an expenditure of $100.00 in inks. My wife hasn't caught on yet. Although she did look at the piles of ink and pens and said "I think you have a problem."

A dozen pens. Best one is an M900. Money goes into inks. Hundreds. Price is no question.

Sigh

Life is too short to drink bad wine (Goethe)

Pens. I kind of refrain from buying inks nowadays because I ain't got a place to store them XD

~Epic

http://farm2.static.flickr.com/1348/557449480_2f02cc3cbb_m.jpg http://null.aleturo.com/Dumatborlon/Badges/5EH4/letter.png

A sincere man am I
From the land where palm trees grow,
And I want before I die
My soul's verses to bestow.

All those moments will be lost in time.
Like tears in rain.
Time to die.

I've got waaay more inks than pens but have so far spent more money on pens.

Glad to say I think I have a handle on the pen side of things now with only one new major pen being welcomed into the fold this year (and that was a gift).

Wished I could say the same about inks. My list is 22 strong and I feel the dam is about to burst soon :(

Hi,

A bit tricky that.

My personal experience was very much pen-oriented early on, but over time my interest has shifted more toward ink.

Since I've been away from my pens and ink pots, my wish list is dominated by ink, though another Sterling Silver pen is likely to be added. So in monetary terms, inks to pens may be even. :rolleyes:

Bye,

S1

The only time you have too much fuel is when you're on fire.

Pens easily...

it i total up all the money spent on inks it is still cheaper that what most of Fountain pens cost, and i have over 24 bottle of ink!

Pens by far. I spend little on inks despite writing everyday and using a lot of ink in a variety of colors. The towards pens is likely because the pens I purchase simply cost so very much more as I do not buy low cost pens; spending typically $100 to $300 on a new pen and $20 to $150 on a vintage or used pen, while typically spending $3 to $5 per ounce for ink.

I think most of us tend to spend more money at beginning on pens. After hit a certain point, maybe because they found their Grail or something close to it, the interest is shifting towards inks, unless new pen is a big Holy Grail to be. That the trend i observed from my friends who love fountain pens.

But a pen cost much more than ink, if you that the absolute amount in $, then it is no contest. 25-30 bottles are a large collection already, but it doesn't cost more than a pen, or two. How to calculate? easy, my most expensive pen, the Cartier is cost more than 20 bottles of ink.

There are not many have more than 50 bottles, i know there are some, but not many (i'm on the way to hit that mark :D), but with more than 30 pens, the equation is heavily skewed towards the pen.

I have 4 pens.

The single $600 Nakaya easily towers aboved the cost of my ink collection. I probably would be able to buy life time worth of inks with $600.

Edited by Dhruv_Sood

I haven't calculated this, but I might be at, like, 60/40 with inks versus pens right now, but usually it's much more heavily weighted toward ink.