Damaged Pens At Boutiques/stores?

StrawberryJam

Was passing through the Budapest airport this morning and saw... An Einstein! Nearly pulled the trigger but then I noticed that the cap must have been dropped at some point because the glass was cracked.

I ended up not getting the pen for other reasons (impulse purchases are not a good thing!) but was curious to know how a MB authorized store or boutique would handle this - - would I as the buyer have to pay for the cap replacement, or would MB have a setup with its retailers such that the retailer could send it in to be fixed and then have it sent to me?

Also, how much would MB charge the end buyer for the fix if the damage was done by or at the store? I'm guessing that they don't make an exception, but was curious anyway.

Current Wishlist:

Visconti, Visconti, and...more Visconti! (And some ST Duponts too). (Ok fine, getting on the Omas and Montblanc trains now too. Toot toot.) (And maybe on the Montegrappa one too, but only for the Miyas.)

• Replies 11
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• FredRydr

• StrawberryJam

• Chrissy

• KBeezie

Montblanc wouldn't sell it to a customer like that. It's up to the boutique to return it to Montblanc.

I recently spotted a 146 Meisterstuck with a bent nib in my local store. They had failed to spot that it had been dropped and damaged, but wouldn't sell it to me. When I asked Montblanc HQ about it, they said that the store had to return it to them and it could not be sold to a customer as a damaged item.

All being said, I often wondered and was surprised by how little care some boutiques give to the pens on displays. LE or not, they are often handled as if the salesperson hasn't the faintest clue about fountain pens.

Also the strong or bright light they shine on their displays is often way too hot, wonder if that damages fountain pens in particular in the long run. They must in a way.

A Retail Montblanc store/boutique/etc selling new pens is not going to sell a damaged one, it would tarnish the image of the brand.

True. But the sales lady looked somewhat unfamiliar with pens... This shop also sold longchamp and burberry accessories, mostly clothes, watches, handbags, etc.

Current Wishlist:

Visconti, Visconti, and...more Visconti! (And some ST Duponts too). (Ok fine, getting on the Omas and Montblanc trains now too. Toot toot.) (And maybe on the Montegrappa one too, but only for the Miyas.)

I have seen damaged pens at Heathrow before, cracked lids etc. This was some years ago, have not seen any recently.

Montblanc wouldn't sell it to a customer like that. It's up to the boutique to return it to Montblanc.

I recently spotted a 146 Meisterstuck with a bent nib in my local store. They had failed to spot that it had been dropped and damaged, but wouldn't sell it to me. When I asked Montblanc HQ about it, they said that the store had to return it to them and it could not be sold to a customer as a damaged item.

Same experience here with a Classique solitaire model.

This shop also sold longchamp and burberry accessories, mostly clothes, watches, handbags, etc.

Therefore, it isn't a Montblanc boutique. There's a chance the independent shop just wants to move damaged merchandise to an unsuspecting buyer.

Fred

I agree and would like to add: what a short-sighted and stupid business plan.

I handled my first 149 about ten years ago in a local authorized dealership here in Winnipeg. The owner only had one in store. When I first expressed interest in the pen he pointed out an almost invisible micro-scratch on the cap and offered me a 25% discount. I purchased the pen and when it went for service about eight years later, I had MB replace the cap and the piston.

Over the years I purchased six more MB's from him and was never disappointed.

Edited by meiers

Yes, as definition, pens at hand of a dealer before selling to end users are the propertity of Montblanc, not dealer.

Yes, as definition, pens at hand of a dealer before selling to end users are the propertity of Montblanc, not dealer.

On the contrary, that would depend upon the laws of the relevant jurisdiction and the contract between Montblanc and the retailer.

Fred

• 4 weeks later...

I have tired to buy damaged pens and just have them sent to the service center for free, but the boutique will not sell a pen once they know it is damaged. When I asked the sales people what happens to pens with cosmetic issues from the display, I was told they often go to the internal employee sales pools and are purchased at a discount by staff. I have even bought one of the LE pens from a former employee and was given the paperwork from the internal sale.

This is my experience in the US, and I cannot speak for other countries.

If you want less blah, blah, blah and more pictures, follow me on Instagram!