Where To Floss The Feed?

ahayman

So, after reading through the Esterbrook Repair thread, specifically the "Nib/section clogged/poor flow" section, I took out the nib/section to try to floss it with some fishing line (no guitar strings in the house!). All I saw on the sac side of the unit was a small slit. Is this were the string goes? Or do I have the wrong kind of nib section for that kind of plumbing repair?

My nib works for a while, with a nice wet line and then gradually fades out to nothing. The sac is new, no leaks. The lever works fine. Actually, to get it going again, I pull on the lever a bit and the ink starts flowing. I've flushed it and soaked it. I don't have the tools to knock the nib out of the section itself, so the only other thing I can think of is trying the guitar string trick. If that doesn't work, I'll have to send it out (which I was trying to avoid as I actually like writing with it!).

I've attached a picture of the part of the nib section I'm talking about.

post-118680-0-95865400-1438130536_thumb.jpg

Thanks!

April

Edited by ahayman

• Replies 14
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• ahayman

• FarmBoy

• ac12

• Hobiwan

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

First of all, chipped nail polish and inkstained fingers are at least, credentials certifying the wearer as an independent apprentice or journey(wo)man pen-fixer. Wear them with pride.

As for the flossing, the reason for using a fine guitar string is that it has the strength to push through some of the gunk that's in the feed's channels (circled). it might be that air isn't getting back into the sac. So you may get away with taking a thin straight pin and sticking it into the nib's breather hole and jiggling it around gently and soaking it again. If you bend the point into an "L" and point it towards the back of the point, you just might dislodge enough gunk to flush away with the next soak. That's worked for me on occasion.

HTH

Best Regards
Paul

“Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid.”
– Albert Einstein

Are you in Northern Calif?

If so come to the SF Pen Posse this Sun (Aug 2nd) in Millbrae.

https://www.fountainpennetwork.com/forum/topic/294375-s-f-pen-posse-before-the-storm-edition-aug-2/

We can take a look at the nib and see what we can do with it.

San Francisco Pen Show - August 28-30, 2020 - Redwood City, California

www.SFPenShow.com

Good grief, ignore my nails and inky fingers please!

I'm trying.

Where in CA? If you have access to an ultrasonic cleaner just toss the nib in it for a while.

San Francisco International Pen Show - The next “Funnest Pen Show” is on schedule for August 23-24-25, 2024.  Watch the show website for registration details. 

My PM box is usually full. Just email me: my last name at the google mail address.

I took out the nib/section to try to floss it with some fishing line (no guitar strings in the house!).

Fishing line is not likely to be strong enough to push through. Go to a local Music store and do one of two things. Ask if they have any broken guitar or violin strings you can have (or if you know anyone who has a guitar or violin). They likely won't give you one, but in lieu of that, buy a violin e string - The supersensitive brand (comes in a red package) is likely to cost you about $1.25 or less. Cut the end off and push it through after soaking. Should work.

www.esterbrook.net All Esterbrook, All the Time.

I'm trying.

Where in CA? If you have access to an ultrasonic cleaner just toss the nib in it for a while.

FarmBoy, I'm out in the high desert, three hours east of LA. :) An ultrasonic cleaner is on the wishlist, trust me. Until then I'll just have to do it by hand and hope it works!

Fishing line is not likely to be strong enough to push through. Go to a local Music store and do one of two things. Ask if they have any broken guitar or violin strings you can have (or if you know anyone who has a guitar or violin). They likely won't give you one, but in lieu of that, buy a violin e string - The supersensitive brand (comes in a red package) is likely to cost you about $1.25 or less. Cut the end off and push it through after soaking. Should work.

Thank you Brian! I'll check out our local music store this week to see if they have anything available.

Are you in Northern Calif?

If so come to the SF Pen Posse this Sun (Aug 2nd) in Millbrae.

https://www.fountainpennetwork.com/forum/topic/294375-s-f-pen-posse-before-the-storm-edition-aug-2/

We can take a look at the nib and see what we can do with it.

I would love to! Unfortunately, I live about 10 hours away so it would make it a bit difficult to attend. One day though!

I would love to! Unfortunately, I live about 10 hours away so it would make it a bit difficult to attend. One day though!

sfpenshow.com You still have time to get a hotel room...

San Francisco International Pen Show - The next “Funnest Pen Show” is on schedule for August 23-24-25, 2024.  Watch the show website for registration details. 

My PM box is usually full. Just email me: my last name at the google mail address.

The next time I take apart an Esterbrook nib ( that is removing it from its section ) I'll post photos of what a clog can look like... Mostly its' a from of dried ink and sediment..

Generally , by the time I take it apart it has been subjected to frustrated attempt to write with it.

Hot water pressure from the tap, pressure from my bulb squeezer generally with ammonia water

Emersion in my ultrasonic wash , followed by Emersion in my ultrasonic with the heater turned on

if none of these work, I'll place it on the knock out block, supported with my customized template so as not to damage the parts intended to separate ..

Then once apart I usually find the problem is not the feed but gunk on the back of the nib which I usually " Dremel " off this restrictive material

Then using some semi chrome I polish the nib , double check the feed, and the threaded holder

Now ready for reassembly I get out my pair of vintage nib pliers and with experience and effort I reset the three pieces.

So now you have here in listed the procedure to restore your nib, it just might be cheaper and certainly with less effort to secure a nib or two of your favorite Esty # to have on hand , and save this process..

Please remember a lot of this labor can be avoided by regular flushing of your pen, never use hot water, do use cool or cold, sometime a 10 to 20 % mixture with ammonia , and another fulush with clear cold water.

( hot water will damage your rubber sac )

Experienced writers already know this, I am sharing this in order to help the new hooked

future collectors of vintage pens.

I've been doing this for longer than I care to remember and am still enamored with this whole process.

penfancier1915@hotmail.com

Tom Heath

Peace be with you . Hug your loved ones today

Thank you, Tom, for such a detailed explanation! I ordered an extra nib yesterday because I had a feeling that the repair of this one is beyond my abilities to correct.

After soaking the nib in cold water (never hot) for a few days and gently using the guitar string, the feed and nib are beginning to pull away from one another. On top of that, one of the tines bent (although I'm not sure how that happened but I suspect a child was involved). I'm just not having much luck with this pen!

So, once I get my new nib I'm going to take apart the old one to see how it ticks. I'd love to see a tutorial on that!

There are several threads on removing the nib and feed from the collar.

But the frist thing is to check if your nib has a small pin that is pushed into the collar from the side. If your nib has that pin, you can't disassemble the nib, until you can get that pin out. If you do not have the pin in the side of your nib, you should be able to disassemble the nib. This is the procedure that I use.

- get some HOT water

- hold the front of the nib with a LONG tweezer

- dip the back of the nib into the HOT water till the collar is under water. Be VERY CAREFUL that you do not get burned by the steam or hot water.

- after about 30 seconds, remove the nib assembly and see if you can wiggle the nib out of collar.

- if not, dip back into the hot water

- once you get the nib out you should be able to get the feed out without much trouble.

San Francisco Pen Show - August 28-30, 2020 - Redwood City, California

www.SFPenShow.com

If you come to the SF show and you can find me I will let you take a nib from the jar o'renew. AC12 will install it for you.

Farmboy

I don't see a pin at all, even under the magnifying glass. I'll try the hot water trick tomorrow. Thank you, Museum Pierce, for your help!