Protective Single Case For Waterman Edson

drafty

Hello all,

I'm sure this has been covered somewhere on FPN, but all the old threads I have gone through don't quite hit the nail on the head, OR, they have outdated links.

I recently bought a blue sapphire Edson (I'd been thinking about it for a long time, then went to a concert and ordered too many neat double Jameson's, got home and promptly hit the right sequence of buttons on the computer. Wife hated me for a couple of days, perhaps still does. I can write really nice apology notes now though - let's not get into it!!)...

...and I have a Franklin-Christoph 3 pen case which is excellent when I'm carrying, well, 3 pens. However, I'd like a dedicated single case for the Edson. I know F-C do singles but I was thinking something which really covers the Edson completely (the F-Cs are only 5.5" long so there's a little 'hello' space for the Edson's bling-ish cap to be seen and coveted, or scuffed by some hideous chain of events).

The Edson is 6" long and just shy of 5/8" in diameter (152mm and 15mm) at its widest point. I was thinking something along the lines of a cigar type case. I don't really want to modify anything and would prefer a nice lining to protect it from scuffs and impacts. Dedicated pen cases are preferable.

Lastly, I live in Canada, therefore, something in North America or with not unreasonable shipping charges would be optimal. Don't hold back though, I'll consider anything people take the time to throw at me.

Thanks for any suggestions.

And hello from a green newbie!

"Behind every great man is a woman rolling her eyes."

• Replies 18
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• drafty

• RMN

• Namo

• stevesurf

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Hi and welcome to FPN

You would have fooled me with that flag....

The Edson is a BIG fat pen, and as most penpouches have a flap for closing there is a little gap on the side.

If you really want it closed in, you might take it with you and visit a tobacconist/cigar store and ask them to show you a cigar case. I myself have used a 4 cigar case to hold fountainpens.

Alas I know no penshops in your neighbourhood that have what you look for (but no doubt there are). My local Penshop has several penpouches, but I am not sure he has one that meets your requirements. If necessary you could have a look there: La Couronne du Comte (no affiliation, apart from the fact that I brought a lot of money there over the years...)

D.ick

~

KEEP SAFE, WEAR A MASK, KEEP A DISTANCE.

Freedom exists by virtue of self limitation.

~

Thanks for that RMN, or do I call you D.ick...I'm not sure?

I will follow up on the cigar thing and I'll check out your referral.

ps. Should I post the Canadian flag then as I live here. Or the UK since that's where I'm from? I noticed yours says Location: the Netherlands, then the Flag picture.

Oh forum problems!!

Thanks for that RMN, or do I call you D.ick...I'm not sure?

I will follow up on the cigar thing and I'll check out your referral.

ps. Should I post the Canadian flag then as I live here. Or the UK since that's where I'm from? I noticed yours says Location: the Netherlands, then the Flag picture.

Oh forum problems!!

You can fly any flag you like, as long as it's in our list. If you feel that flag has meaning to you, by all means. Some choose their country of origin, some of residence.

You did not enter the box Location. You could state Canada, or Ontario or a city and a state.... Some state: the Universe....

In your case it would work perfect with the flag, people would probably guess you are an Englishman in New York....Canada...

But you don't have to give information. Personally I prefer when a member does give some information about her/himself, it gives me the idea of talking to a person.

And RMN/D.ick/Dick is a long story..... RMN is initials, my mom and dad called me Dick (after a very brave young man who died in 1940 as a young doctor helping the wounded during the bombarding of Rotterdam. He was my fathers best friend...) Alas these days especially Americans think it is a dirty word, and they feel ashamed calling themselves that. Most Richards become Rick or Rich. When I first came here our bad word checker Uh-Oh ed me (today it would be (bleep)) and they advised me to rename myself, which I refused. So I fooled the bad word checker. Luckily that bad word has been removed... Think about sentences like "every Tom, (bleep) and Harry" and a delicacy called "Spotted (bleep)" But the dot stuck....

Just recently I tried to sign up for another forum (computer) and the said that I had entered a very bad word!! I was rather angry about that. That is NOT a bad word, that is my NAME. Oh well...

Dick/D.ick

~

~

You can fly any flag you like, as long as it's in our list. If you feel that flag has meaning to you, by all means. Some choose their country of origin, some of residence.

You did not enter the box Location. You could state Canada, or Ontario or a city and a state.... Some state: the Universe....

In your case it would work perfect with the flag, people would probably guess you are an Englishman in New York....Canada...

But you don't have to give information. Personally I prefer when a member does give some information about her/himself, it gives me the idea of talking to a person.

And RMN/D.ick/Dick is a long story..... RMN is initials, my mom and dad called me Dick (after a very brave young man who died in 1940 as a young doctor helping the wounded during the bombarding of Rotterdam. He was my fathers best friend...) Alas these days especially Americans think it is a dirty word, and they feel ashamed calling themselves that. Most Richards become Rick or Rich. When I first came here our bad word checker Uh-Oh ed me (today it would be (bleep)) and they advised me to rename myself, which I refused. So I fooled the bad word checker. Luckily that bad word has been removed... Think about sentences like "every Tom, (bleep) and Harry" and a delicacy called "Spotted (bleep)" But the dot stuck....

Just recently I tried to sign up for another forum (computer) and the said that I had entered a very bad word!! I was rather angry about that. That is NOT a bad word, that is my NAME. Oh well...

Dick/D.ick

Oof, that's a heart-wrenching story but nice that a hero's name lives on. For what it's worth, Dick is a great name. And besides, let's not get started on the culture of child naming in certain other countries.

It was my full intention to do exactly as you just said and fly the Jack while locating myself in Canada, but I can't seem to change the options now. I might be missing the obvious but I've tried the edit profile section and no dice. Maybe I have to have a minimum number of posts before I'm accepted by the powers that be! I'm also genderless and ageless but it's not my intention to be mysterious.

Anyway...thanks for the warm welcome Dick!

May I suggest this?

https://www.fountainpennetwork.com/forum/topic/255117-making-a-pen-case/page-34

Put my Densho in this case.Awesome work!

Oh...lord, I saw the pink one and nearly choked!...then I scanned down!

You got that leather one-penner Namo? That looks amazing, but tell me this, can any old bod just commission something like that?

Thanks for the reply.

You will have to wait till you are a Bronze+ member, after 7 days to further edit your profile, including adding a nice avatar...

D.ick

~

~

You will have to wait till you are a Bronze+ member, after 7 days to further edit your profile, including adding a nice avatar...

D.ick

Excellent, thanks!

RT

Is there such a thing akin to the MB Florence 1 pen case - or even something with soft insides which snuggles the pen - that is at the same time compact, but yet fits the Edson nicely? (heh...not too demanding there!)

I would go with a Minerva Box slip case - adjustable, many colors and, with the exchange rate where it is, a great deal at $23US plus shipping:

http://thumbnail.image.rakuten.co.jp/@0_mall/penroom/cabinet/slip-on/18105_2.jpg

http://thumbnail.image.rakuten.co.jp/@0_mall/penroom/cabinet/slip-on/18105.jpg

http://thumbnail.image.rakuten.co.jp/@0_mall/slip-on/cabinet/mb/img56636042.jpg

Best regards,
Steve Surfaro
Fountain Pen Fun
Cities of the world (please visit my Facebook page for more albums)
Paris | Venezia

Thanks very much Steve but I was thinking something harder or more rigid at least. However, the missus would love those coloured Minervas so they are probably a winner anyway.

Does anyone know anything about the Onoto cylindrical cases and whether they would suit the Edson? I read somewhere else that the tops slip off too easy.

This is what I meant for a cigar case:

http://www.sigarenwinkelarnouts.nl/sigaren-etui-leder-senoritas-sigaren-bordeaux-p-2874.html

I just googled for the Dutch words. No doubt you'll find similar in Canada

Edit: this is one that came up on a google search for "cigar case canada":

http://www.canadahumidor.com/cigar_cases/

D.ick

~

~

Oh super, thanks D.ick...there's a cigar shop on the main drag in Montreal. I'll check it out tomorrow and get back to you.

One more thing though, if there's rattle room in the tube, can this damage or loosen something in the pen? - especially if the tube is lined with hardwood?

I'm thinking: shove my microfibre cleaning cloth down with the pen and it'll hold firm (like a magician does with those coloured handkerchiefs into their fist). Sound like a plan?

Cheers

I doubt it will be lined with hardwood. In the case it is too wide I would advise to take some blotting paper and roll that and insert it in the tube. And if it is too long there is the choice of cork or Styrofoam or cotton-wool, or...... I'll lave that to your imagination.

D.ick

~

~

Oh...lord, I saw the pink one and nearly choked!...then I scanned down!

You got that leather one-penner Namo? That looks amazing, but tell me this, can any old bod just commission something like that?

Thanks for the reply.

Sorry for my late reply. Yes, I have the black and green single pen case. I trust it for my Densho, a pen I could't dream replacing it breaks. It's my daily writer and since I tend to write outside my home à lot (I am enjoying a few jours writing in à chicha bar right now... :-) ), it's vital I can count on the case... Not sure if Michael accepts every order, but I saw his work when I was just like you looking for a single pen case, and just asked... Awesome job by Michael by the way! Edited by Namo

amonjak.com

post-21880-0-68964400-1403173058.jpg

free 70 pages graphic novel. Enjoy!

• 1 month later...

I'm posting this on all the old posts that pertain to it (oddly I started a couple of threads about it...what a weirdo!)

I got a case made by the amazing Michael. There's a couple of his in Canada now I believe:

post-124183-0-03089400-1441904622_thumb.jpg

A fine looking sleeve.

D.ick

~

~

• 3 weeks later...