Strategy For Getting An Expensive Pen

Ambrose Bierce

I am currently enrolled in college. Thankfully I received scholarships for doing speech and debate, and I am able to compete on my university's team. But doing that means I have no extra time for things such as a job, so I have next to no disposable income. How does someone like me go about saving up for his grail pen, pelikan m805, or even a lamy 2000. Any suggestions for a way to go about saving money for a nice new pen, when there is little money to save e?

I am the artist formally known as Ambrose Bierce (I recently changed my username from that). If you love me you'll check out my blog http://fpinkgeek.blogspot.com/ or follow me on Instagram and Twitter @Fp_Ink_Geek :D

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• httpmom

• Bklyn

• Ambrose Bierce

• jsolares

Be a medical or cosmetic guinea pig. Worked for me. Or sell off a few spare organs. Not necessarily your own.

When you find the answer to this please let me know!

Ha! I sell things I no longer need on eBay to help pay for this expensive habit. And I always ask for "pen money" as gifts.

"You mustn’t be afraid to dream a little bigger darling.” "Forever optimistic with a theme and purpose." "My other pen is oblique and dippy."

Well, save what money you can spare! After all you don't really need an expensive pen. On the other hand you can always pass the hint around to relatives you may have with cash to spare offering a gentle hint for a gift wish list.

That could be your strategy.

Edited by Pickwick

They came as a boon, and a blessing to men,
The Pickwick, the Owl and the Waverley pen

Sincerely yours,

Pickwick

Hi,

After enduring years of financial guardianship during my student days, I offer a few hard-won suggestions:

Sell your skills on an as-convenient 1:1 basis.

> I earned pin money doing a bit of tutoring.

> Some of my normal activities became profit centres: I was running a few times a week, so would take other people’s large dogs along for the run, and at the dojo I was a ladies-only judo sparring partner. 

Engage in the barter economy. Every so often I’d help-out at a catering company in exchange for foodstuff.

Cost constraint:
> Keep a list of expenditures for a week, then see what can be cut/replaced. e.g. No junk food, alcoholic beverages, or 'wear once' clothing; eat only home cooked food; brew your own java; eschew a private car for a bicycle/carpool/public transit.

> Hunt/fish/forage/garden to fill the larder.
> Switch to an all-cash economy - can't spend money not in your pocket or purse.

Dilute your ink to 85% concentration.

Sell whatever can be sold, which just might include less favoured pens and siblings. 

Bye,
S1

The only time you have too much fuel is when you're on fire.

The simple answer is you do not get the grail pens you mentioned going to school on a budget. College is an investment and means forgoing current consumption for hopefully more consumption in the future.

Meanwhile enjoy a Pilot Metro or TWSBI ECO.

I would say don't think about saving money for any particular item, just save money for the sake of saving money. Then once you have some savings established you can buy whatever you want without the anticipation. As a student, you can always do part time jobs and just cut down on expenditures. I went through college using a Lamy Safari that I bought in high school and didn't have a thought about buying another pen, especially a high priced pen. It wasn't until after I had graduated and worked full time for a year that I decided it was time I upgraded to something nicer and I bought a Lamy 2000 used from a friend for a damn good price. Of course with a year of savings it went all downhill from there haha.

For reference, I didn't really hold a stable job through my undergrad years. I had worked summer jobs for minimum wage during high school and saved up during that time. I also spent 2 summers in classes and only had one free summer to work part time. My only income was really me taking my high school savings and playing poker with it but I would highly recommend against that. But that's probably why the thought of buying an expensive pen never occurred to me; whatever money I had or was making was being put towards more important life experiences like having fun in college and meeting new people.

I don't know your whole situation, but I can tell you that I had friends in college that worked multiple part time jobs while doing school full time. One friend was double majoring in physics and math and still worked part time at Home Depot and made some side money tutoring. So it's all give and take, you can always find or make time to get part time work if you really, REALLY want that expensive pen. You'll probably just have to sacrifice some sleep or hanging out time.

Message me about nib work in NYC

Instagram | YouTube

I went through my whole (long) scolarship with two pens, a Waterman Maestro and, later, a Stypen Harley Davidson. Unless you really need a specific pen (and by need I mean because of physical reasons, such as troubles with hand or elbow or... ), I suggest you keep whatever money you can spare and use it for something else.

amonjak.com

post-21880-0-68964400-1403173058.jpg

free 70 pages graphic novel. Enjoy!

You are in college, on a budget with little disposable income.

Forget any expensive pens, until you graduate and are making money, and accept that as a situation you have to live with.

Your situation is no different than MANY college students, who have to postpone getting the toys that they want until they graduate and can afford it.

I went through under grad with 2 inexpensive Parker 45s. I did not get the more expensive Parker 180 and 75 until I was in grad school and getting paid as a teacher's assistant, only then I could afford to buy the pens.

San Francisco Pen Show - August 28-30, 2020 - Redwood City, California

www.SFPenShow.com

Good habits formed at youth make all the difference.

You don't need that pen right now unless you are trying to impress, which may hint to a crowd out of your normal group. Let those who can enjoy the product of their parents' sweat. You have many books to read and keep to a Pilot metro or Lamy Safari. In the meantime, persevere and build your character, much better alternative that showing off a pen.

Edited by Oldtimer

Get a part-time job.

I went to college full time and worked 3 jobs to pay for my tuition and rent and food. If you're only looking to have spending cash for fountain pens, a single part-time job is VERY doable.

Good luck.

Ink, a drug.

― Vladimir Nabokov, Bend Sinister

Instagram:
a.transient.life

You may think you don't have time to get a part-time job, but what about in the summer?

I was an art major. And the cost of textbooks is *nothing* compared to that of art supplies -- and at least you can sell the textbooks back at the end of the semester. I worked every summer doing layout and paste-up jobs. The pay was (bleep) but at least I was working -- and gaining work experience that I could use when I graduated. And those mostly (bleep) paying jobs (one of which was at the same place I worked a couple of those summers) when I got out of school helped buy a car *and* pay some (admittedly minimal) room and board to my parents (I got lucky in that they paid my tuition -- and I didn't have scholarships).

But also listen to what some other people have said already. Forego the pricy "nice" pen until you can afford it. You will appreciate it more when that time comes -- or, you will realize that the less expensive but decent writers are more valuable to you than you thought they were, simply *because* they are less expensive but decent writers.

Ruth Morrisson aka inkstainedruth

"It's very nice, but frankly, when I signed that list for a P-51, what I had in mind was a fountain pen."

Now, admittedly, this takes a certain amount of time and seed money, but I got my son tons of Lego without ever paying a dime for it. I would buy Lego on deep discount when they were clearing the shelves of old kits. I'd hold it for a year or two, then put it up on eBay. $30 kits I bought for $10 would sell for $30 to $50 (Star Wars probably had the most dedicated collectors).

Which requires the store sale to come up, that you know it is going on, and the right type of set makes it to the deep discount of 50-80% off. Then you have to sit on it for a while because a number of other people have the same idea, but no patience.

The thing is, you can do this with any number of semi-collectible items. Go to garage sales, flea markets, thrift shops, etc. The trick is always to know the market. It could be fountain pens, board games, Barbie dolls, whatever.

The best suggestions have already been posted, but I'll echo them. Wait on the nice pen, and get a part time job now. Once you have the cash in your account, you may rather hold onto it...its funny how in focusing on JUST the item, we romanticize it; but when it comes time to count out the cash to pay for it, its bittersweet or we even reject the notion altogether and just hang on to our hard earned cash!

What are you currently using for daily writing ?

Let's concentrate on graduating. Nice indulgences come later.

Do you make a "Dear Santa" list ? My family appreciates suggestions. After so many years, gift ideas are welcomed.

Whatcha studying ?

Auf freiem Grund mit freiem Volke stehn.
Zum Augenblicke dürft ich sagen:
Verweile doch, du bist so schön !

What are you currently using for daily writing ?

Let's concentrate on graduating. Nice indulgences come later.

Do you make a "Dear Santa" list ? My family appreciates suggestions. After so many years, gift ideas are welcomed.

Whatcha studying ?

Double majoring in international relations with a concentration in Western Europe and German

I am the artist formally known as Ambrose Bierce (I recently changed my username from that). If you love me you'll check out my blog http://fpinkgeek.blogspot.com/ or follow me on Instagram and Twitter @Fp_Ink_Geek :D

Double majoring in international relations with a concentration in Western Europe and German

This is going to sound harsh but if you are already lusting for a high end pen I would suggest a change in majors. One of my many nieces majored in International Studies with a concentration in peace/conflict. She was on full scholarship (from Berkeley) and even went on to graduate school. She applied for jobs in both east and west coasts for a year and a half and all she could get was part time work at non-profits (very low pay). That was two years ago. She finally got full time work for the state (only because her mom already worked there) and is now doing something totally unrelated to her major and living in a city she detests.

Unless you are a most gregarious, outgoing, go getter type of personality with the ability to create your own future by networking, noteworthy summer internships, and pounding the pavement big time and/or have high connections with folks in the federal government the major you have chosen will not reward you with fabulous opportunities. My sister's best friend majored in same and worked as an ambassador for 20 years but she had 'the right stuff' and big connections. she now works for a freelance corporate advising firm (helping people negotiate deals...again she had connections)because her original job was permanently terminated with government cuts. It's a tough reality but a true reality that one must major in a field that has good job possibilities and those are usually in math, engineering and science.

I know, because I majored in Art and because I didn't want to teach, I then went to school for Graphic Design (which I loved) in order to get a paying job. Graphic Design was a very difficult way to make a living. You are always the salesman. Not easy for most artists. I got into web page design on the ground floor (which is really tedious work) and survived until I recently retired. I design jewelry now and paint for fun, but only because my husband is an engineer and can support us both. The cost of a college degree is so over the top now that you have to have parents who finance you education or you will be stuck with all the loans you may be working a lifetime to pay back. I give the same speech to a lot of young people...I am honestly trying to help you out here. I know how stressful it is to be a young person trying to make their way in life.

Food for serious thought and a true hope for your rewarding future.

Edited by httpmom

"You mustn’t be afraid to dream a little bigger darling.” "Forever optimistic with a theme and purpose." "My other pen is oblique and dippy."

I guess I'm kind of in the same boat. I'm studying on a course and don't have a job. For me I stick to a relatively small fountain pen budget. I don't really spend that much money on other things so I can justify a small yearly budget by cutting other expenditure. The one thing I would say or other's have told me is that there no real rush to go and buy those expensive pens you've got a life time to do it.

I've got a few "grails" e.g. a Paker Duofold I've liked the look of it for maybe 10 years. But I'm no rush to buy it and I think that's the key thing about a grail pen the longer you leave it the more satisfying it will be when you finally buy it. It's just another pen if you can buy it tomorrow.

Edited by The Blue Knight