Suggest A Pen For This Total Amateur Kindly?

ithehappy

Sorry to be coming in late on this, but I would recommend against the Safari. First, it has a weird section shape that forces you to hold the pen in a particular (and many feel, incorrect) way. Second, Lami's quality control is minimal. They seem to ship whatever comes out of the machines, and then make it up with good customer service. If you are a beginner, you may not recognize that your pen has a problem that should have never been shipped. Third, the Lami is grossly overpriced for what it is--a high-volume, machine-made school pen that requires either an expensive converter or proprietary cartridges. But it has a cult following, and Safari fans chime in anytime anyone asks for a suggestion.

Arkanabar makes some very good points. Think about what you want. You mentioned smooth and light. The Pilot V/Varsity and the Petit 1 both fit this description very well. The V-Pen/Varsity is very affordable and easily refillable, while the Petit 1 takes proprietary but inexpensive cartridges, which you can also refill with a syringe. Both pens also have the advantage that they can remain capped and unused for days, weeks, or in the V/Varsity's case, years, and begin writing on the first stroke.

But don't ignore Indian pens. There are some quite wonderful Indian machine-made ED pens that are very inexpensive, and once you are used to an eyedropper pen, they are durable and trouble-free. And in Calcutta, as I understand it, there are still excellent small pen shops run by gentlemen who really understand fountain pens. They can let you try things, watch you write and give suggestions, and provide a memorable experience at the same time. Try a real pen shop--most of the world no longer has them!

ron

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• ithehappy

• fly_us

• Arkanabar

• Mathematics Teacher

Okay, sorry for digging this topic up, but kind of had to. I was almost ordering the Safari, but then I was little confused about which nib size I would order, then went to Youtube to check some videos, and found one review where a lady has shown quite a lot of Safari nibs, EF, F, M etc., and I am kind of scared to see that even a Fine nib looks to me as really thick. I mean I don't like thick lines. Then was reading even more, and noticed that someone (or more than one person actually) saying that generally Western nibs are broader than Asian nibs, is that statement true? Because kindly let me say, I don't like think lines, not at all, at the same time typically fine lines aren't my choice either.

I am ashamed to say that I use a gel pen, which is a Reynold Trimax (yeah it's a 20 INR pen, LOL), and I like it, I mean the thickness of it, but I don't like the flow, it's kind of scratchy, and that's why I bought a 1.0 mm Uniball Impact gel pen (yeah another super cheapo), and this pen just flows, I love it, but then again the writings are super thick, and I can't bear that, so I have gone back to using the Trimax.

I don't know if my post makes any sense or not, but English being the third language, that's the best I can put together. So for the time being, I am holding off from buying the Safari, if that video showed the truth (as it should) then I think a Fine nib is pretty thick for my taste.

PS:

Edited by ithehappy

The first question to put to you is, what did you like about the gel pens you have been using, and what about them has been annoying you enough that you're now considering a fountain pen? Which gel pen have you been using? Is it too thick, too thin, too heavy, too light?

- The main thing I like about gel pens, is how the ink gets poured to the paper and some of them really flows. But lately that cheap pen (Trimax) which I have been using for past couple of years or so is not giving me the same experience. At first I thought it was one bad batch of refills, but no, they are all same now. I complain to the store why the latest refills are like this, when the earlier ones were really smooth, they say they don't know, and I have stopped asking too, because for an ultra cheap refill like that, it's waste of my time.

In any case, it is everything to do with the flow. If there is no flow when I am writing, then I absolutely get irritated. I just need the feel that the ink is being poured/ flown to the paper, without it I won't even write one letter. My family members sometime get irritated that even for a simple courier document signing I refuse to use those ungodly ball pens (seriously how do people use ball pens at first place? It is a tremendous torture to me!).

If you want to know more about pens, look into richardspens.com -- Richard Binder taught me all sorts of things about filling systems. His site will explain what a cartridge/converter filler is.

- Will do when I get time, having some spare time is becoming more and more scare for me now though. But thanks a lot for mentioning.

The Pilot 78G uses the same nib and section as the Metropolitan, and is much lighter, and doesn't have the large step between section and barrel that the Metropolitan has. I don't know if you can get it in India. A lot of people like to recommend the Pilot MR/Metropolitan (brass, about 27g, with a fairly narrow section), the Lamy Safari (triangular section, 17g), and the Platinum Plaisir (lightweight aluminum, under 20g). I loathe the Safari's triangular section, and also the rough finish on the "Umbra" model you linked to. I'd recommend trying one (or a Jinhao 599, which is very similar) before pulling the trigger. And I'd recommend one of the glossy colors.

I'd recommend checking out the reviews of various Indian pens and makers. There are a lot of them, and they often favor eyedropper fills. I have one eyedropper, and it burped something awful on me once. Admittedly, I took it from less than 5 deg. C to a heated office in the space of a minute, and tried to immediately put it to use. Many favor ebonite, or hard rubber. It has a little bit of tack to it, unlike acrylic. However, ebonite pens cannot be left in water for very long without discoloring.

A hooded nib will probably let you grip closer to the point.

- I am open to buy anything. This is not mobile phone or some computer component where I only listen to me, I don't posses any idea about any brands (I mean other than the fact that Parker, Pilot etc. are good brands, but then who doesn't), so whichever pen I will choose you guys will be the judge of that. If there are some Indian pens which could be better for my needs, then obviously I will look into them.

Okay, sorry for digging this topic up, but kind of had to. I was almost ordering the Safari, but then I was little confused about which nib size I would order, then went to Youtube to check some videos, and found one review where a lady has shown quite a lot of Safari nibs, EF, F, M etc., and I am kind of scared to see that even a Fine nib looks to me as really thick. I mean I don't like thick lines. Then was reading even more, and noticed that someone (or more than one person actually) saying that generally Western nibs are broader than Asian nibs, is that statement true? Because kindly let me say, I don't like think lines, not at all, at the same time typically fine lines aren't my choice either.

I am ashamed to say that I use a gel pen, which is a Reynold Trimax (yeah it's a 20 INR pen, LOL), and I like it, I mean the thickness of it, but I don't like the flow, it's kind of scratchy, and that's why I bought a 1.0 mm Uniball Impact gel pen (yeah another super cheapo), and this pen just flows, I love it, but then again the writings are super thick, and I can't bear that, so I have gone back to using the Trimax.

I don't know if my post makes any sense or not, but English being the third language, that's the best I can put together. So for the time being, I am holding off from buying the Safari, if that video showed the truth (as it should) then I think a Fine nib is pretty thick for my taste.

PS: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H-VZMiQQCHg

About the different in nib size between Asia and western, it is correct. If you prefer a thinner line, i suggest you might want to look for an Asian, or Japanese is more specific. A Pilot Metropolitan/MR with F nib is a good choice. You could search the reviews on how it writes. Another good option is Platinum Plaisir, you can't go wrong with either of them.

About the different in nib size between Asia and western, it is correct. If you prefer a thinner line, i suggest you might want to look for an Asian, or Japanese is more specific. A Pilot Metropolitan/MR with F nib is a good choice. You could search the reviews on how it writes. Another good option is Platinum Plaisir, you can't go wrong with either of them.

Okay, thanks mate. I will check the Plaisir at night. I could have got the Metropolitan too, but it's not available officially in India. One seller said that those Pilots are not made in Japan, but in China, and they don't keep pens which are made in Chinese factories. Probably a business nonsense, or probably right, can't say.

By the way, I have checked those Pilots too, the Varsity, the reason I don't like it is because it looks really childish, and it writes at about 0.7 mm-ish? If it's right then it's too thick for my taste too, 0.5 would be my choice. And that other Pilot, the transparent one, I will check it once more.

Ruling out the Parker Frontier which is mentioned earlier, because of the same "Western nibs are generally broader than Asian ones" ground. Otherwise God knows how many cheapo Parkers I bought when I was in school :)

Edited by ithehappy

Remember, the advantage of the Safari over the others is that you have an interchangeable nib - so if you can find the nibs, you only have to buy one pen. This may work out cheaper in the future - especially if your budget is tight.

Thinner nibs also are not as smooth as wider ones - of course, this depends on the brand, but fine or EF nibs may not run on the paper as well as the broader ones - so you may want to try before you buy.

Another option is to go for a vintage Parker 45 with a fine nib. They are easy to maintain and can take bottled ink and are rather nice to handle.

Okay, so I'm ordering in an hour, going for the Plaisir then? However I don't see any Fine nib available, all are Medium!

While there is great discussion above, I highly recommend the Lamy Al-Star. The Lamy Safari is great, especially because it is light, but the Lamy Al-Star is my "go-to" working fountain pen. I have several - fine nib, broad nib, 1.1 stub nib and 1.5 stub nib. All of them work very reliably and consistently. If you are patient, you can find a Lamy Al-Star on eBay for under $25. I just bought one yesterday for $23.

Truthfully, I haven't had good luck with Asian or Indian pens, but have had great luck with German and Italian brands.

"Today will be gone in less than 24 hours. When it is gone, it is gone. Be wise, but enjoy! - anonymous today

The Noodler Creaper was my first pen- but I love it! I use it for note-taking and doodling, overall a wonderful pen for the price :)

I actually ordered the Pilot MR (F) yesterday. Was reading too much negative reviews about Lamy's QC and there is no EF nib available here, and the F nib is way too broad for my taste.

Thanks for the help guys.

Edited by ithehappy

I actually ordered the Pilot MR (F) yesterday. Was reading too much negative reviews about Lamy's QC and there is no EF nib available here, and the F nib is way too broad for my taste.

Thanks for the help guys.

I think you will be delighted with it. When you get it, let us know what you think, and maybe write a review!

ron

. Basic models are within your budget if you can find them available in your country although the stock is old stock as they are not being made anymore.

It seems that they are still being made under license for the Indian market. I'm guessing it's the old machinery that's been shipped to India and being used now. Some e-bay stores sell them in the UK, but they are not officially available through Parker in the UK. The India Parkers have an I with a date code.

I think you will be delighted with it. When you get it, let us know what you think, and maybe write a review!

ron

Sure, will get in within next 2 days and will definitely post my first impressions about it. Really excited :)

Review? From this idiot? Lets see :)

There is nothing to apologize for concerning your English! Hats off to you, for being literate in three languages! Good luck on your pen, and now you need to start thinking about ink (and paper). But that should be another thread!

The never-ending quest. Looking forward to your review!

Brian

Brian

The Safari is not out of my budget. Shall I go on for it then? And kindly confirm whether the link I posted is the Safari you guys are talking about or not, because that word Umbra is kind of confusing!

I have been using fountain pens for many years and I have a collection of Lamy pens including a couple of Safaris - great pens a real work-horse and give you the option of changing nibs easily if you need to.

Edited by GordonOZ

Nature is the one song of praise that never stops singing. - Richard Rohr

Poets don't draw. They unravel their handwriting and then tie it up again, but differently. - Jean Cocteau

Ο Θεός μ 'αγαπάς

Ah, will keep that in mind about Lamy, thanks Gordon. I am more than certain that this is just the beginning of my journey, so probably a Lamy will come to me sooner or later :)

@Brian: Thanks mate. Yes, now I need to look for ink and paper indeed. One or two suggestions about ink won't hurt really, not really wanting to invest heavy behind ink, but definitely water resistant. And about papers I will try some local shops, some half decent papers are still out there I think.

Edited by ithehappy

If you're looking for inexpensive and water-resistant, your first choice is likely to be an iron gall ink. Candidates include Rohrer and Klinger Salix and Scabiosa, Registrar's Ink from Diamine or Ecclesiatical Stationery Supplies, and perhaps older bottles of blue-black from Pelikan, MontBlanc, or Lamy. They are feather-resistant, and water-resistant once dry. They will succumb almost instantly to bleach, however. Keep it flowing and you probably won't have to worry about sedimentation. You should have a regular cleaning regimen anyway -- though whether it should be weekly, fortnightly, monthly, or quarterly will depend on your experience.

Depending on the paper, they may be prone to fading. I used Diamine Registrar's in my ultra-cheap Norcom 70 pg spiral notebook for a couple of weeks, and the writing seems to be much lighter now than it was when I was making it in February.

Got the pen today, went out to buy some half decent ink but only super ultra cheap ink was available (some Camlin), obviously I don't like it, but at the same time I want to write with it as soon as possible. So here is a question, can I use that ultra cheap ink, will it harm the nib/ feed in any way? I will order tonight, but it'll take at least 3-4 days to come.

Also those brands (which are mentioned above) are not available here, I only see Parker, Pilot, Waterman etc., and I've no idea what to buy anyway...

Reply from Indians will be appreciated, because they'll know about the availability.

PS: Is this an okay-ish ink? http://www.flipkart.com/waterman-ink-bottle-florida-black/p/itmdhazgpfy2geyg?pid=PENDHANZHHXNT9CK&icmpid=reco_pp_personalhistoryFooter_officesupply_na_2

Edited by ithehappy

Waterman Black? I've never used it myself, but it has a good rating on Goulet Pens. Looks like it isn't water resistant, though.

If you run into any Platinum inks, their Carbon Black, Blue Black, and anything with "Pigmented" in the name are water resistant.

Since you say Parker's an option, maybe you can find Parker Permanent Black or Parker Permanent Blue?

--Carmen