Pilot Vp W/ .8Mm "dailyitalic" Grind From Indypendance

lpdb185

NOTE: this will not be a full-blown review like most others. There are countless reviews of the Pilot VP already, so I was aiming for more of a brief review of the nib itself, because I never could find much info on it prior to this purchase.

I just received my Pilot Vanishing Point from Indy-Pen-Dance. I ordered it with their .8mm "DailyItalic" customization. I've been wanting to try a VP for a while to use as a notetaker during court/conferences/church. I tried to find some review and/or writing samples of this particular grind, but didn't really turn up much. However, I decided to roll the dice because I have read nothing but great things about Linda Kennedy's work.

I ordered the pen last Wednesday and received it today (Monday). After a brief inspection I inked it up with Noodler's Apache Sunset (my go-to fun color at the moment). As to the pen itself, I wasn't sure how I'd like the clip being there. That concern was quickly dismissed, however, as I love the way the pen feels in my grip. I am extremely pleased with the overall design and quality of the pen.

Now to the nib. Up to this point, the only custom grinds I've had were from Pendleton Brown (his BLS); although I have tried a Pilot factory stub (SU), a few oblique Esterbrook nibs, and a Goulet 1.1 stub. From what I gather, Pendleton's BLS is supposed to sit somewhere between a cursive italic and a stub, and that's also where this DailyItalic grind is supposed to fall. Linda told me it is intended to maintain the line variation of a cursive italic while having the ease-of-operation of a stub. I must say that she hit the nail on the head.

In the photo below you can see there is a respectable amount of line variation. But as you can tell from my poor penmanship, the nib might perform better in more "capable" hands. As for smoothness, I think that's where this grind excels. It just glides effortlessly across the paper, like butter margarin. Really, I was surprised at how smooth it is; it's just fantastic! Comparing it to the Pendleton's BLS, I'd say it falls slightly more towards the stub end of the spectrum. I feel that I get slightly more line variation from Pendleton nibs, but this grind from Linda is definitely smoother and more user friendly than my last grind from Pendleton. With Pendleton's BLS I still have to be somewhat mindful of my technique and writing angle, else I might snag the paper a bit. This DailyItalic grind is more forgiving. If I get off angle too bad I just get unpleasant feedback, as opposed to outright snagging. The only negative (if you can even call it that) is that the nib isn't quite as wet as I'd like, but that's my fault for not thinking of mentioning that in my order. All in all, it is a wonderful nib and I am certain I will be getting another DailyItalic-equipped pen in the future.

I also want to point out that the comparison of Pendleton's BLS to Linda's DailyItalic is not meant to say that one is any better than the other. Rather, they are just variations on the theme of italic/stub hybrids; each offers something a little different than the other. I do love both, and I actually have another Pilot in Pendleton's queue at the moment. So I make this comparison of the two only because I feel it may be useful to others who are familiar with Pendleton's work. Finally, I hope this "review" is helpful to others who are interested in Linda's DailyItalic grind.

http://i463.photobucket.com/albums/qq352/lpdb185/IMG_1107.jpg

• Replies 26
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• lpdb185

• StrawberryJam

• Tasmith

• Oldparkerguy

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Finally, I hope this "review" is helpful to others who are interested in Linda's DailyItalic grind.

Thank you, your explanation of this grind is very useful to me! I've been curious about it for a while now.

I, too, have been thinking about one of these for a while, but had not been able to find detailed information. Thank you very much (though my wallet may not thank you...)!

Current Daily Carry: Pilot Custom 743 with 14k Posting nib (Sailor Kiwa-Guro), Sailor 1911L Realo Champagne with 21k Extra Fine nib (Sailor Tokiwa-Matsu). Platinum Century 3776 Bourgogne (Diamine Syrah), Nakaya Portable Writer Midori with 14k Extra Extra Fine nib (Lamy Peridot), Pilot Vanishing Point Stealth Black with Extra Fine nib unit (Pilot Blue Black), a dozen Nockco DotDash index cards of various sizes and a Traveler's Notebook.

I've got two nibs done by Linda, one being the same .8 daily italic grind on my Pelikan Cafe. Both nibs are great and rival my Masuyama, PB, and Richard Binder. I would definitely order again from her.

Thanks for the writing sample! I was considering getting a DailyItalic from her on a Decimo nib (should be the same one as the VP?) but wasn't sure about sizes. The variation you have in that .8mm looks fantastic. :) Could I ask if you would be so kind as to take a picture of the writing with a penny or some other size reference object?

Thanks for the kind responses. I just received my Pilot 742 back from Pendleton today. It's a factory stub (SU) nib that I had him do his magic on (mostly because I attempted to mod it myself . . . very unsuccessfully, lol). Anyway, since both nibs are nearly identical in width, I will post a written comparison tomorrow when I get a chance. But comparing them simultaneously affirmed my earlier statement; Pendleton's BLS offers just a tiny bit more variation and "panache", while Linda's DailyItalic is a bit smoother and more user friendly, just as the name implies. I've been swapping back and forth between them all day like a mad man. I love them both! As Bemo stated above, I will definitely be ordering from Linda again . . . soon!

Edited by lpdb185

Thank you for the enlightening review.

I have been eyeing up the VP's for a while and when I get some extra money, (yeah right, extra...) I will be getting one of these.

I wish my chicken scratching was half as neat as yours.

Thank you for the enlightening review.

I have been eyeing up the VP's for a while and when I get some extra money, (yeah right, extra...) I will be getting one of these.

I wish my chicken scratching was half as neat as yours.

I appreciate the kind comment. I've been working on my handwriting lately; unless I am deliberate and take my time, it is nearly illegible. My brother is a doctor, and I dare say my "normal" writing is worse than his notations/signature.

I said I would post a few more pics, these comparing this VP with the Daily Italic to my Pilot 742 with Pendleton's BLS. The 742 came with a factory Pilot SU (stub) nib that was sent off to Pendleton for his BLS grind, and it is nearly identical in width to the VP's nib. The 742 is using Iroshizuku Shin Kai, while the VP is using Iroshizuku Kon Peki; so the ink shouldn't play much of a factor here. Paper is a Black 'n' Red notebook. And as you can see, the BLS has just slightly more variation; however, the DailyItalic is definitely more user friendly/smoother/less "angle sensitive" (but I know you can't tell that from the photo :rolleyes: ).

http://i463.photobucket.com/albums/qq352/lpdb185/IMG_1110.jpg

http://i463.photobucket.com/albums/qq352/lpdb185/IMG_1111.jpg

PS. Yes, I now realize that I wrote "Pilot 743" when it is actually a Pilot Custom 742 :wacko:. I was just looking at an 823 that I am wanting to purchase, so I guess my subconscience got the best of me.

Edited by lpdb185

I appreciate the kind comment. I've been working on my handwriting lately; unless I am deliberate and take my time, it is nearly illegible. My brother is a doctor, and I dare say my "normal" writing is worse than his notations/signature.

I said I would post a few more pics, these comparing this VP with the Daily Italic to my Pilot 742 with Pendleton's BLS. The 742 came with a factory Pilot SU (stub) nib that was sent off to Pendleton for his BLS grind, and it is nearly identical in width to the VP's nib. The 742 is using Iroshizuku Shin Kai, while the VP is using Iroshizuku Kon Peki; so the ink shouldn't play much of a factor here. Paper is a Black 'n' Red notebook. And as you can see, the BLS has just slightly more variation; however, the DailyItalic is definitely more user friendly/smoother/less "angle sensitive" (but I know you can't tell that from the photo :rolleyes: ).

http://i463.photobucket.com/albums/qq352/lpdb185/IMG_1110.jpg

http://i463.photobucket.com/albums/qq352/lpdb185/IMG_1111.jpg

PS. Yes, I now realize that I wrote "Pilot 743" when it is actually a Pilot Custom 742 :wacko:. I was just looking at an 823 that I am wanting to purchase, so I guess my subconscience got the best of me.

Great photo and very useful comparison. Thanks :)

Just an excellent review. Just what I needed. I just (today) got a 1.0 stub ital. from a different dealer. In the new Pilot VP the nib is totally "stock"and is pretty rough and requires a high angle hold to work well. Under magnification the nib comes from Pilot like a corduroy road on the bottom and at a low angle hold made quite a racket on Neenah Classic linen. Imagine new snow tires running on macadam on a 4 WD pickup truck. My other Pilot nibs are exceptionally smooth out of the box.

Reading you review I learned there's a better way to go.

Thanks,

Dana

http://null.aleturo.com/Dumatborlon/Badges/5EH4/postcard-mini.png http://i1016.photobucket.com/albums/af283/Runnin_Ute/fpn_1424623518__super_pinks-bottle%20resized_zps9ihtoixe.png

Did your nib start off as a "B" or something else?

Current Wishlist:

Visconti, Visconti, and...more Visconti! (And some ST Duponts too). (Ok fine, getting on the Omas and Montblanc trains now too. Toot toot.) (And maybe on the Montegrappa one too, but only for the Miyas.)

Did your nib start off as a "B" or something else?

My nib started out just as it is today, a 1.0 stub italic from Pilot (unmodified). It was new to me yesterday and right out of the box new uninked.

I now have worked with it on coarse, medium and fine .03 micron “papers” and have it in reasonable smoothness and shape. It took considerable work.

These nibs became available “stock" from Pilot in the normal, nib/neck and twist converter assembly as of the first of August 2015 or thereabouts.

I’m relatively new to VPs. A friend gave me a Namiki Pilot capless Fine back in June. I loved it almost immediately but stubs are a joy. Also the Namiki is small diameter for my hand.

I was told the new nib system would not fit in the old model facetted Namiki. That turns out to Not be true It all fits fine and operates as it should in the Namiki.

Sorry for giving more than you asked.

Dana

Edited by Oldparkerguy

http://null.aleturo.com/Dumatborlon/Badges/5EH4/postcard-mini.png http://i1016.photobucket.com/albums/af283/Runnin_Ute/fpn_1424623518__super_pinks-bottle%20resized_zps9ihtoixe.png

My nib started out just as it is today, a 1.0 stub italic from Pilot (unmodified). It was new to me yesterday and right out of the box new uninked.

Ah, sorry, my question was meant for @Ipdb185, as I was wondering what nib size Linda Kennedy needed to start with to get to the 0.8mm grind.

But @Oldparkerguy, it sounds like the new stock VP italic nibs are not necessarily smooth out of the box? That's a bummer to hear, but would love to see a writing sample of the new VP nibs when you have a chance!

Current Wishlist:

Visconti, Visconti, and...more Visconti! (And some ST Duponts too). (Ok fine, getting on the Omas and Montblanc trains now too. Toot toot.) (And maybe on the Montegrappa one too, but only for the Miyas.)

Ah, sorry, my question was meant for @Ipdb185, as I was wondering what nib size Linda Kennedy needed to start with to get to the 0.8mm grind.

I have a .8mm Daily Italic for a Pelikan M200 that started out as a B. It is really smooth nib and my only experience with italic nibs so I can't compare it to stub or crisp italics.

For some reason I can't post pictures here at the moment, but the link leads to that other place where I have a pic posted with my (mostly) horrid writing. http://fpgeeks.com/forum/showthread.php/12276-Indy-Pen-Dance-DailyItalic?highlight=daily+italic

I have a .8mm Daily Italic for a Pelikan M200 that started out as a B. It is really smooth nib and my only experience with italic nibs so I can't compare it to stub or crisp italics.

For some reason I can't post pictures here at the moment, but the link leads to that other place where I have a pic posted with my (mostly) horrid writing. http://fpgeeks.com/forum/showthread.php/12276-Indy-Pen-Dance-DailyItalic?highlight=daily+italic

I'm wondering if this "DailyItalic" grind is the grind that Linda was "debuting" as a hybrid at the Baltimore pen show back in March. At that time, she didn't have a name for it yet, but she ground one of my Viscontis with it. It isn't as crisp as, say, Mike-it-Work's round nosed cursive italic, but it has nice line variation and has a soft, smooth feel to it with little to no feedback.

Current Wishlist:

I'm wondering if this "DailyItalic" grind is the grind that Linda was "debuting" as a hybrid at the Baltimore pen show back in March. At that time, she didn't have a name for it yet, but she ground one of my Viscontis with it. It isn't as crisp as, say, Mike-it-Work's round nosed cursive italic, but it has nice line variation and has a soft, smooth feel to it with little to no feedback.

I just got the nib in May and came across it while impatiently waiting for Chartpak to deal with the new M200's baby bottom. I ordered on a whim and she described it as falling somewhere between a stub and crisp. I agree whole heartedly with your assessment of line variation and writing feel.

Slightly off topic - I have an Edison on order that I'm having Brian grind a stub nib for me to see the difference between the two. I went with a .7 mm because who wants two of the same thing?

But @Oldparkerguy, it sounds like the new stock VP italic nibs are not necessarily smooth out of the box? That's a bummer to hear, but would love to see a writing sample of the new VP nibs when you have a chance!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Pilot VP 1.0 stub italic “stock” nib.

I’m not certain that my not so good photo of the page show the line width. I failed to reference size with the pen or other object. This is my first attempt to attach a photo.

So many apologies so little time.

I will do better.

Dana

post-114451-0-42249800-1438986792_thumb.jpeg

Edited by Oldparkerguy