Mont Blanc 146 - Do They Leak?

Duke of Fullers Earth

Hi,

I have been looking to buy a used 146 for some time and been doing a little research that seems to suggest they have a problem with the piston leaking. I want the pen as a everyday writer, not a collection piece, so this matters to me. I would welcome any advice concerning the probability of a leak developing, a reasonable price to pay in the UK for a used 146 and repair cost if it does spring a leak. I realise that assessing whether an individual pen will leak is impossible, but figure that the collective experience here would be the best placed to offer a opinion.

Thank you in advance for your advice.

Mike

• Replies 8
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• meiers

• Frank C

• torstar

• simon73

Top Posters In This Topic

I have never had a 144, a 145, a 146 or a 149 leak. Leaks are usually caused by a structural flaw such as a hairline crack. Dropping your pen on a hard floor will do that.

MB service takes care of that and other issues for about $80.

Any pen has the potential to leak. Damage from dropping excluded, the typical cause of a leak in a piston filler like the 146 or 149, or one of the Pelikan pens for that matter, is that the piston seal is worn. It can happen over time if the piston has not been lubricated. The repair is to have the piston seal replaced. Seals for the Pelikans are generally available, especially for the 200-600 size pens where an after market seal is available. Montblancs are a bit more difficult, and often require sending the pen back for seal replacement. It costs more, but they also go over the pen and address other potential issues.

spacer.png
Visit Main Street Pens
A full service pen shop providing professional, thoughtful vintage pen repair...

Please use email, not a PM for repair and pen purchase inquiries.

No, they do not leak unless damaged. The 146, like the bigger 149 is a workhorse and is perfect for daily use for many years. I have bought several from this forum, eBay and from someone I know who gets pens from auctions. A good condition used pen from the 80s or 90s should cost less than £200. If you buy from this forum you should be able to get one a little cheaper, and it will likely have been cleaned out. A pen that has not been used for some time will take some work to remove the ink residue, but there are plenty of forums on here about that.

Good luck!

Any pen has the potential to leak. Damage from dropping excluded, the typical cause of a leak in a piston filler like the 146 or 149, or one of the Pelikan pens for that matter, is that the piston seal is worn. It can happen over time if the piston has not been lubricated. The repair is to have the piston seal replaced. Seals for the Pelikans are generally available, especially for the 200-600 size pens where an after market seal is available. Montblancs are a bit more difficult, and often require sending the pen back for seal replacement. It costs more, but they also go over the pen and address other potential issues.

Ron could you suggest a lubrication schedule that you think would alleviate these issues? For example, a year basis, dependant on use, etc?

Thanks.

WTT: My Lamy 2000 Fine nib for your Lamy 2000 Broad nib.

I've had a 146 since the early 80's and a 149 for even longer. Neither has ever leaked. I only use MB ink in them, though.

"One can not waste time worrying about small minds . . . If we were normal, we'd still be using free ball point pens." —Bo Bo Olson

"I already own more ink than a rational person can use in a lifetime." —Waski_the_Squirrel

I'm still trying to figure out how to list all my pens down here.

My 146 leaked after 6 years, shipped it back to HQ for the fix about 6 years ago. Otherwise fine.

My late 80s 146 leaked last year. Had it fixed at MB USA. Leaking again 13 months later, just outside the warranty coverage.

Mid 80s 149 has never leaked.