The Fountain Pen Network uses (functional) cookies. Read the FPN Privacy Policy for more info.  To remove this message, please click here to accept the use of cookies

Photo

Experience With Twsbi Eco?

• Please log in to reply
97 replies to this topic

#81 Shaggy

Shaggy

Extremely Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 298 posts

Posted 01 October 2017 - 20:52

I can't get past the triangular grip section. I wish I'd known about that before purchase. Had to send it back.

Sponsored Content

#82 inkeverywhere

inkeverywhere

Vintage

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 459 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 03 October 2017 - 20:11

Unfortunately my opinion of the Eco is not as kind as most. In the US an Eco sells for about the $30 mark in Australia it retails at about the $60 mark. Since owning mine I have had nothing but trouble with it leaking ink as I write, my post "my eco journey so far" chronicles my experiences.

I have decommissioned my Eco and for weeks now have been using two Wing Sung 698's. Landed in my post office box these are a $20 pen. I have used the same inks in the 698 as I had in my Eco and have had no problems whatsoever.

In my humble opinion the Eco is a very disappointing pen. I own other Twsbi's and really enjoy using them but not the Eco.

"may our fingers remain ink stained"

Handwriting - one of life's pure pleasures

#83 T4TEXAS

T4TEXAS

Vintage

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 631 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 03 October 2017 - 21:54

I have had mine for about 2 years as a daily writer. No problems.

"You can't wait for inspiration. You have to go after it with a club."

- Jack London

SnailBadge.png

#84 Almu

Almu

Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 146 posts

Posted 09 October 2017 - 19:36

I've owned 3 Ecos, still own two of them.

The first one I got shortly after the release, black pen with an extra fine nib. That one was very scratchy even though the tines looked ok. Also the feed couldn't keep up if I wrote for more than 10 mins non stop. Had some problems with the piston too, it didn't really want to move even though I lubricated it... Eventually I ended up giving the pen away.

The next two I got just about a month ago. White 1.1mm and clear extra fine. Pistons working well this time, the 1.1mm nib is a bit scratchy and not all that fun to use, but the extra fine is ok if a bit dry, again.

I really like the screw cap (seems to seal really well) and the piston filler, plus the pens look pretty good too. I don't like the nibs/feed and ink flow seems a bit inconsistent. Good pens, I just don't enjoy using them.

I'm not sure what has happened, but I suddenly started liking my Eco :P. I'm mainly using the extra-fine right now, really enjoying it.

I just wish these pens had more consistent ink flow...

#85 DanielleE

DanielleE

Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 132 posts

Posted 25 December 2017 - 18:06

With my TWSBI ECO (M Nib), I find it often does not start well. I find almost always have to doodle or redo the first character when I start writing. Once it starts it seems OK. Anyone else experience this?

#86 Venemo

Venemo

Vintage

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 541 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 25 December 2017 - 21:45

With my TWSBI ECO (M Nib), I find it often does not start well. I find almost always have to doodle or redo the first character when I start writing. Once it starts it seems OK. Anyone else experience this?

Mine only does that when I use it with very dry ink and leave the pen unused for a week or more. Then it starts hard, but writes well after a few letters.

#87 DanielleE

DanielleE

Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 132 posts

Posted 25 December 2017 - 22:24

I will give it another try after flushing, cleaning, and putting Diamine ASA Blue ink in it.

#88 IndigoBOB

IndigoBOB

Vintage

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 725 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 25 December 2017 - 23:22

Do the tines look tight under a loupe?

I've gotten some Eco nibs that are very tight.

Pens and Tea on Youtube reports having this issue with all her TWSBI's.  I've had half and half of my nibs being too tight.  Tight tines are good for cheap paper since they're drier, but with anything else... not so much.

#89 DanielleE

DanielleE

Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 132 posts

Posted 26 December 2017 - 12:55

I don't have a loupe, but I have already tried to increase flow by applying pressure to both sides of the nib. Line width seems more than adequate when it's working.
I refilled it last night. We will see how it does today.

#90 sdbruder

sdbruder

Extremely Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 211 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 26 December 2017 - 13:30

I really love my TWSBI Eco, my first ‘serious’ pen after some initial inexpensive ones. Its a Broad one, real good writing experience.

#91 Dattebayo

Dattebayo

NOS (New Old Stock)

• Member - Silver

• PipPip
  • 12 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 26 December 2017 - 16:41

I love my TWSBI Eco as their ink feeds are probably the best out of the TWSBI pens I own. In that regard, I have moved the ink feeds over to my TWSBI Mini as I prefer the body and size of the Mini. The TWSBI Mini feeds and nibs aren't too bad, just more sensitive to shimmering inks and saturated ones than the ECO.

Now I have taken my medium TWSBI #5 nibs and moved them over to my ECO and taken the feed from the ECO and put 1.1mm staub on my Gold and Silver AL Minis. 

Even so, the TWSBI Eco is a great pen that I use for general daily writing that I keep in the rotation as daily, I have a signature pen and a general  writing pen that I use. I have about 15 fountain pens right now as a newbie to this hobby, but I have a 20 pen case that I got which allows me to have all my pens with me in my briefcase. 

#92 IndigoBOB

IndigoBOB

Vintage

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 725 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 27 December 2017 - 09:53

I don't have a loupe, but I have already tried to increase flow by applying pressure to both sides of the nib. Line width seems more than adequate when it's working.

I highly recommend a loupe.  It makes life so much easier when it comes to fountain pens.  I use the one from Goulet and I think it's a must for fountain pen users.  A nib can require the tiniest adjustment the naked eye can't accomplish, and it can make a significant difference.

https://www.gouletpe...loupe/p/CT-3010

You can try a better flowing ink like Noodler's Air Corps Blue Black or Sailor Kiwa Guro.  If I have tight tines, ACBB usually has no problem.

Or you can widen the tines, which would require a Loupe and Brass sheets.  I've had to do this with TWSBI about 1/2 the time as Pens and Tea describes in her video at 8:20 about TWSBI nibs in general:

#93 matteob

matteob

Vintage

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 406 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 22 January 2018 - 21:39

My experience has been very positive. It's a great writer and superb value for money. I see no reason to buy one of the more expensive versions unless you like the aluminium finish. This does the job perfectly. Only criticism is the grip or lack of it can be a pain with sweaty hands but the new T may solved that.

@inkeverywhere you obviously got a lemon. I would send it back to TWSBI if I were you. I hear their after sales service is slipping though. Maybe now they are established they feel they don't need to offer the extra mile they did.

Edited by matteob, 22 January 2018 - 21:44.

#94 minddance

minddance

Collectors Item

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 838 posts

Posted 05 February 2018 - 15:22

I have 4 ecos, XF, B and 2 1.1 stubs. I love the B nib most OOTB. The rest hardly write, some tweaking is absolutely necessary for ink to flow through them. Open the tines a little, inner tines exposed, some 3m lapping film to smoothen the inner tines, check for nib alignment, not figure 8s.

The grip section is a tad small and thus uncomfortable to my hands, my ecos hardly get any use from me but I always ink them and store away. The ability to preserve ink is very very good :)

And no, they have not cracked, I am not saying they wouldn't crack. The fact that I hardly use them could be a reason for not cracking.

#95 ernestrome

ernestrome

NOS (New Old Stock)

• Member - Gold

• PipPip
  • 16 posts

Posted 14 February 2018 - 08:57

To clarify, have you applied pressure to the outside of the nib wings (squeezing together)? It is my understanding that this would reduce flow by tightening the tines. To increase flow you would pull the wings outwards by hooking your fingers underneath.

#96 DanielleE

DanielleE

Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 132 posts

Posted 14 February 2018 - 20:54

To clarify, have you applied pressure to the outside of the nib wings (squeezing together)? It is my understanding that this would reduce flow by tightening the tines. To increase flow you would pull the wings outwards by hooking your fingers underneath.

If you watch the video here, you will see that applying pressure to the wide part of nib actually spreads the tines.  You can see it if you watch the video carefully.   

#97 Drubbing

Drubbing

Near Mint

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPip
  • 31 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 15 February 2018 - 09:07

I've seen the mixed, but generally favourable responses to the Eco. I Just got one in M and am impressed, in comparison with the Lamy vista I got recently.

The Eco is much smoother and softer feeling. The TWSBI M writes wetter than the Lamy's, so I get fatter lines which doesn't flatter my scrawl too much, so could have an F. For $20AUD I can.

Buying in Aus, we generally lose most of the 'bargain value' other see in many products, and so our notion of value is relative. Both the TWSBI and Lamy were $50AUD ($40US). Out of the box, the TWSBI impresses more.

#98 Tasmith

Tasmith

Uff Da!

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,441 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 15 February 2018 - 22:13

If you watch the video here, you will see that applying pressure to the wide part of nib actually spreads the tines.  You can see it if you watch the video carefully.   

Thank you for this video!

Edited by Tasmith, 15 February 2018 - 22:13.

Sponsored Content

|