The Fountain Pen Network uses (functional) cookies. Read the Privacy Policy for more info.  To remove this message, please click here to accept the use of cookies

Photo

Experience With Twsbi Eco?

• Please log in to reply
83 replies to this topic

#1 Lamyrada

Lamyrada

Super Witch

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 523 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 27 July 2015 - 17:26

What has been your experience with the ECO? I saw the Review here and seems a very good value for the money pen. Owning two TWSBI minis, how would they compare to the mini?

I am interested in an EF nib which I don't have and softness of such against any paper. I know my Minis were running alittle dry when new until I helped them a bit.

So. How has the ECO  fared? Worth trying? Or should I order a 580? or else?

I am eager to hear some news? I don't care that the cap can spin off since I don't cap my pens unless necessary (MINI).

Thanks!

Sponsored Content

#2 J_MM

J_MM

Vintage

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 458 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 27 July 2015 - 17:46

It is a great pen for the price. Much nicer than a Lamy Safari in my opinion. I have the 1.1 stub but I may try the fine as well.

It will be interesting to see how the pen holds up to everyday use.

#3 BlazeOrangeGuy

BlazeOrangeGuy

Mint

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPip
  • 93 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 27 July 2015 - 21:09

I like mine. It is a little nicer than a Safari for a similar price and the nib is very nice. I got a 1.1 stub as well. I think it is a great everyday pen. 

#4 Lamyrada

Lamyrada

Super Witch

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 523 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 27 July 2015 - 21:17

Thanks. i was just thinking if it is worth paying extra money for the other models. I have 1.1 and 1.5 stubs on my minis, so I might as well try an EF nib from TWSBI and I guess the  appearance is not that important. It's a nib holder!

I like the black one.

Yeah, let's see if they crack, although I haven't had a single problem with my minis because I handle them with extra care, just in case. Always in a case, never hanging around. I think I will try it. I was worried that no one has mentioned them after it made its debut, is nothing of a trail blazer, of course, so it was expected. Thansk for the inputs.

#5 Swordfish23

Swordfish23

Near Mint

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPip
  • 41 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 29 July 2015 - 01:45

So far I don't think you can go wrong. It's pretty light but feels sturdy. I use mine in lecture, lab, and the daycare I work at. So far so good. The extra fine nib is very nice, bit of feedback on regular paper but really nice on the good stuff. Hope you purchase goes well if you decide on it. The price, screw cap, and piston fill put it above the Lamy Safari/Al Star personally and it works great. 

Regards,

Angel

#6 deacondavid

deacondavid

Extremely Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 311 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 30 July 2015 - 00:32

I have two Ecos - an EF (Black) and a 1.1mm stub (White). I'm very happy with both of them thus far. The stub is actually my second one - I gave my first one to a friend as a birthday present before I inked it (I offered him his pick of the two and he chose the stub as something new). He has been using the pen for close to two weeks and he loves it and has reported no problems to me.

Speaking to the EF nib itself, I have found it to be a good smooth writer. It is very similar to the nib in the Diamond 5x0 in performance. While I like the nib, I prefer the EF nib in the VAC 700, which is a bit drier. Still, it is a very nice pen.

Current Daily Carry: Pilot Custom 743 PO (Sailor Kiwa-Guro), Franklin-Christoph 03 with Masuyama Needlepoint (Franklin-Christoph Black Forest), Platinum Century 3776 Chartres Blue (Sailor Sei-boku), Sailor Sapporo with Saibi-Togi (Sailor Jentle Oku-yama), Uni-ball Signo RT-1 .38mm Black (yeah, not a fountain pen, but it is a great pen and a handy loaner), a dozen Nockco DotDash index cards of various sizes and a Blue Nockco DotDash Pocket Notebook.

#7 DERoadie

DERoadie

NOS (New Old Stock)

• Member - Silver

• PipPip
  • 17 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 30 July 2015 - 02:40

I bought mine the moment Goulet announced and have been using it (black/broad nib) for about 1 week.  Nib is smooth and wet enough for me.  Pen behaves very nicely.

I like the shape and the price.  I think this pen will become the beginner's standard pen.  Look out Lamy.

#8 swanjun

swanjun

(Not really a lamb.)

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,992 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 30 July 2015 - 12:55

I got a 1.1 stub on mine and like it very much! I've had a much better experience with it than the 1.1 on my first 580, in fact.

#9 Doug C

Doug C

Antique

• Member - Gold

• 2,338 posts

Posted 30 July 2015 - 15:24

+1 for the stub.  I have one in white, and it is definitely going to the Safari a run for the money...

the Danitrio Fellowship

#10 AAAndrew

AAAndrew

(Not so) Wee Timorous Beastie

• FPN Supporter - Rhodium

• 2,142 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 30 July 2015 - 17:40

I have both the Mini and the Eco. The Eco feels lighter in weight, just slightly, than the Mini though it is longer, yet it doesn't feel cheap. If you like the feel of the section on the Mini, and the transition in size from barrel to section, then you'll be fine with the Eco.

My mini has a Fine nib that was re-ground and is about the size of the extra-fine on the Eco. Even though my Mini nib is a Pendelton Brown italic, it feels no smoother than the factory-standard extra-fine on the Eco.

I'm liking my Eco a lot. It's a great everyday pen, holds a lot of ink, looks good and I like the single-piece body (barrel and section are all one piece of plastic) as it's one less joint to spring a leak. I am using Sheaffer Burgundy ink (vintage) in it right now and it's not too dry or wet, but that's a well-behaved ink. It's laying down a typical extra-fine line.

And as for swapping nibs, just going by Goulet, it will cost you about $6 more to just get a whole other pen than to buy a replacement nib unit. And you don't have to worry about trying to pull the metal nib and all of that hassle. Sounds like my 30 minutes (or more) of fiddling with the replacement nib is worth $6.

Every day I use the Eco I'm more and more astounded by the quality for the price. It is definitely giving the Lamy Safari a run for its money in a slightly less eccentric-looking package. (don't get me wrong, I like the Safari and Al-Star, but it isn't a traditional look, which is what some people like about it) Right now, the main advantage the Safari has over the Eco is the availability of cheaper replacement nibs. If TWSBI starts selling just the metal nib for the Eco for you to swap it out, at a lower price than the current nib units, you've got a real battle on your hands for best beginner pen. (that's not a Chinese or Metropolitan)

I'm definitely going to get another one once the next wave of stock gets in, and this time it will be a 1.1. And then the next one will be a fine.

Frankly, I suspect the Eco will cannibalize sales from TWSBI more than Lamy in the short-term. I was wanting to get another Mini, or a Vac 700, but I can get a couple of Eco's for one Vac700 and have change left.

My recommendation is to get one. It's well worth the modest sum.

Check out my Steel Pen Blog. https://thesteelpen.com/ . 

"No one is exempt from talking nonsense; the mistake is to do it solemnly."

-Montaigne

#11 T4TEXAS

T4TEXAS

Vintage

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 623 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 31 July 2015 - 03:55

A fine black model on its way. Against my better judgement which says to wait until any bugs are worked out. But my curiosity won out.

"You can't wait for inspiration. You have to go after it with a club."

- Jack London

SnailBadge.png

#12 TheRealScubaSteve

TheRealScubaSteve

Antique

• Member - Gold

• 2,868 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 31 July 2015 - 05:13

A fine black model on its way. Against my better judgement which says to wait until any bugs are worked out. But my curiosity won out.

Your only mistake was ordering a F nib. Live a little!  :D

#13 Lamyrada

Lamyrada

Super Witch

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 523 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 31 July 2015 - 13:49

HAs anyone ordered from Amazon? It says it is sold by TWSBI, apparently no intermediate seller is involved other than big AMAZON! Sounds good if true.

#14 AAAndrew

AAAndrew

(Not so) Wee Timorous Beastie

• FPN Supporter - Rhodium

• 2,142 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 31 July 2015 - 13:51

I ordered mine from Amazon. I had a gift card that needed to be used. Took longer for shipping than from other sources like Goulet Pens. Other than that, no problems.

Check out my Steel Pen Blog. https://thesteelpen.com/ . 

"No one is exempt from talking nonsense; the mistake is to do it solemnly."

-Montaigne

#15 deacondavid

deacondavid

Extremely Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 311 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 31 July 2015 - 14:48

My first two were from Amazon, because they had them and no one else did at the time. When I replaced the stub that I gave as a present to my friend, it came from Anderson Pens (the first vendor I checked that actually had the stub in stock).

Amazon was a bit higher priced, but I did not have to pay additional shipping, so the pricing was probably about the same. The pens shipped directly from TWSBI. I had the pens in hand two days after I had ordered them, even though TWSBI shipped via USPS. I had no issues at all with the order. (Also no issues with Anderson Pens on that order).

Current Daily Carry: Pilot Custom 743 PO (Sailor Kiwa-Guro), Franklin-Christoph 03 with Masuyama Needlepoint (Franklin-Christoph Black Forest), Platinum Century 3776 Chartres Blue (Sailor Sei-boku), Sailor Sapporo with Saibi-Togi (Sailor Jentle Oku-yama), Uni-ball Signo RT-1 .38mm Black (yeah, not a fountain pen, but it is a great pen and a handy loaner), a dozen Nockco DotDash index cards of various sizes and a Blue Nockco DotDash Pocket Notebook.

#16 TheRealScubaSteve

TheRealScubaSteve

Antique

• Member - Gold

• 2,868 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 31 July 2015 - 18:22

Shipping direct from TWSBI only costs $2.

#17 deacondavid

deacondavid

Extremely Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 311 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 02 August 2015 - 01:34

It sounds like the slightly higher Amazon price reflects the $2 shipping from TWSBI. Makes sense.

#18 TheRealScubaSteve

TheRealScubaSteve

Antique

• Member - Gold

• 2,868 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 02 August 2015 - 02:18

It sounds like the slightly higher Amazon price reflects the $2 shipping from TWSBI. Makes sense.

I'm sure but it's a buck more that way. 

#19 Lamyrada

Lamyrada

Super Witch

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 523 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 02 August 2015 - 14:21

Since Goulet Pens doesn't have it right now, I ordered from Amazon on Aug 31. It has not shipped yet according to the tracking system. They are not elligible for Prime... It's a black with SF nib. If I like it, I will order the white when Goulet has it available so it arrives promptly. Thank you for all the responses. I think it could go well with Diamine Oxblood which is very dark or Black Swan in Australian Roses (on order)

#20 T4TEXAS

T4TEXAS

Vintage

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 623 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 02 August 2015 - 22:28

Are people finding that you can write with it straight out of the box, or are you doing a flush? If the latter, is mild soapy water sufficient, or have you had to also use a little ammonia?

Edited by T4TEXAS, 02 August 2015 - 22:30.

"You can't wait for inspiration. You have to go after it with a club."

- Jack London

SnailBadge.png

Sponsored Content

|