The Fountain Pen Network uses (functional) cookies. Read the FPN Privacy Policy for more info.  To remove this message, please click here to accept the use of cookies

Photo

Mabie Todd Swan 2

mabie todd

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 jaredvdm

jaredvdm

NOS (New Old Stock)

• Member - Silver

• PipPip
  • 13 posts

Posted 27 July 2015 - 14:29

Hi All,

Newbie here. I am a hobby typographer with a love for all writing instruments, but mostly the pen we all congregate for. 

I inherited a few pens from my late grandmother. A cheap looking Hifra fountain, Tropen Scholar, Wahl Eversharp and a Mabie Todd Swan 2. The Swan is my, as it writes beautifully and looks like it's seen a lot.

First thing is, I have no idea how to date the pen, and the second is, it's missing it's original lid/cap. It's such a beautiful pen and I would like to know how I would be able to acquire one and how I would date it. Is anyone able to help?

Thanks in advance,

Jared

Sponsored Content

#2 terim

terim

Antique

• Premium - Ruby

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,836 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 27 July 2015 - 14:36

You'll need to start by posting a few photos .... You're identifying it as #2 based on the nib? Hard rubber? Eye dropper or lever filler?
Teri Morris, PEYTON STREET PENS

Visit the Peyton Street Pens web site.

Instagram for Peyton Street Pens
We list new pens on the web site daily ....here's a link to the very latest additions.

#3 jaredvdm

jaredvdm

NOS (New Old Stock)

• Member - Silver

• PipPip
  • 13 posts

Posted 27 July 2015 - 14:46

Hi Terim,

It's hard rubber for sure. Lever filler. Made in England. I will post pics later, as the pen is at home. 

Thanks

#4 Cob

Cob

Antique

• Member - Gold

• 1,747 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 27 July 2015 - 15:29

Yes let's see a picture or three; and maybe we can advise and find a cap for you.

Cob

fpn_1428963683__6s.jpg “The pen of the British Empire” fpn_1423349537__swan_sign_is.jpg

#5 jaredvdm

jaredvdm

NOS (New Old Stock)

• Member - Silver

• PipPip
  • 13 posts

Posted 28 July 2015 - 13:43

Hi guys. I couldn't get quality pics, but this is what I have. https://www.dropbox....Ln4j4jycMa?dl=0

There is no serial number on it at all. Just the logo and made in England.

The bladder had completely disintegrated. So any info I can get on getting hold of a new one would be awesome. Thanks a ton!

#6 Cob

Cob

Antique

• Member - Gold

• 1,747 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 28 July 2015 - 20:27

Hi guys. I couldn't get quality pics, but this is what I have. https://www.dropbox....Ln4j4jycMa?dl=0

There is no serial number on it at all. Just the logo and made in England.

The bladder had completely disintegrated. So any info I can get on getting hold of a new one would be awesome. Thanks a ton!

It looks like a typical example of one of the late 1930s Swans with no number that MT loved to produce for reasons I cannot understand.  I would need to know the barrel diameter.  Is the lever chrome- or gold-plated?  If it were gold plated then the pen should be a derivative of the 6260; if chrome it has either been replaced or is another MT curiosity.

If you search under ink sacs you should find what you need.  I suggest you start by reading through this web site which should be helpful.

Cob

Edited by Cob, 28 July 2015 - 20:28.

fpn_1428963683__6s.jpg “The pen of the British Empire” fpn_1423349537__swan_sign_is.jpg

#7 the_gasman

the_gasman

Vintage

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 656 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 28 July 2015 - 20:29

Swans are my favourites, too -- real beauties.

The most important part of a pen is the nib; yours looks like a beauty and I suspect that it might flex with a little pressure. If you haven't had an active flex life you may find it takes time to get it right. I nearly re-sold my first flex but after a week or two I accepted it, and after a couple more weeks it became my favourite pen.

If Cob can't identify the pen +/- aquire a cap, I don't think anyone can.

I hope you find both a name and a cap.

Enjoy the pen.

David.

#8 jaredvdm

jaredvdm

NOS (New Old Stock)

• Member - Silver

• PipPip
  • 13 posts

Posted 29 July 2015 - 05:15

Thanks Cob and David!

The lever is a silver colour, but was a light gold before. I know that much. The pressure bar (if that's what it is called) is a bit rusted on the inside. I know it would probably be easier to find a replacement pen, but this one has Massive sentimental value. One of the few physical items I inherited. 

Would I be able to take out the pressure bar and clean it a bit?

@Cob. I will measure the barrel when I get home. 

@David. The nib has a beautiful flex. Really excited to use it more.

Thanks again. 

#9 jaredvdm

jaredvdm

NOS (New Old Stock)

• Member - Silver

• PipPip
  • 13 posts

Posted 29 July 2015 - 19:53

@Cob. The diameter is 11.5mm

Not sure if that helps?

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: mabie todd

Sponsored Content