Asa Pens Logo Too Prominent On The Barrel?

spaceink

I'm interested in buying many ASA pens, but am hesitant because I've seen photos where the logo and inscriptions on the barrel for some pens take a large amount of visible real estate.

It's not a small engraving, like on my vintage Sheaffer. Sometimes the logo takes up a whole side of the pen, like on the Spear, for example. From my perspective, it cheapens the look of a pen. If you look at other famous pen brands, none put such a large logo onto the barrel. Yes, perhaps a logo on the clip. Yes, perhaps an etching on the clutch or cap ring. None as big as on the ASA barrels. I don't want my fountain pens to have the aesthetic of a pharmacy-bought Bic ballpoint, with branding marks all over.

On some level, ASA must be aware of this, as the pen photos on the site often hide the etched logo and inscription on the barrel.

For ASA owners, do the large logo engravings bother you? Can you request that it not be as prominent? I'm curious, as I otherwise like the look and feel of many of the pens.

I've ordered one. Hope that when I get it the logo will not be too visible every time I pick it up.

Edited by spaceink

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• spaceink

• Manalto

• MKB

• subbu68

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I just went to the Asa site to have a look because I bought the 'Daily' just this week and didn't notice a conspicuous logo. If there is one on the 'Daily,' they do a good job of disguising it in the photos. Yes, it will bother me if this model has a large logo. (It hasn't arrived yet.) I'd rather have the choice of letting others know (or not) about the brand.

Brand-worship is one of the more bizarre human behaviors. Abercrombie & Fitch-labeled clothing (and others) has always struck me as profoundly sad.

Edited by Manalto

James

It helps me identify my pens and I for one am happy it's there, subtle enough because no paint in the engraving (unlike Wality, Oliver, and others) so usually you hardly see it, you have to hold it under an angle. Especially the black ebonite ones. So no, it does not bother me in the least.

a fountain pen is physics in action... Proud member of the SuperPinks

fpn_1425200643__fpn_1425160066__super_pi

I tend to agree with mhguda. Since there is no paint, and with the engraving being quite shallow, I tend to forget it's even there. Does not bother me in the least.

Yeah, I'm counting on my incoming one to not be as visible. I hope I will not regret the purchase based on that surface factor.

There are other ASA models that are off my potential buy-list, though as a result of prominent logo, like the ASA Galactic. The presence of the printed-on logo there ruins the coolness of having a clear demonstrator showing the ink color inside. A much smaller etching at a less visible location would've sufficed or just a mark on the clip, I feel.

Perhaps it is a matter of different aesthetics, but the more discrete the markings, the more preferable it is to many of us foreign buyers.

Edited by spaceink

The engraving on my Daily is the one reason I almost didn't purchase it. If I had the choice I'd rather not have it there, but I don't notice it all the time and wish it away. I would think the engraving sells less pens by it being seen on existing models in use, than the loss of sales by those that don't want it on a pen.

I own an ASA Athlete and I can confirm the logo is not at all prominent. The logo size looks normal to me and as others have testified the logo is not colored so it definite does not stand out.

post-110963-0-61273900-1437991186.jpg

The engraving on my Daily is the one reason I almost didn't purchase it. If I had the choice I'd rather not have it there, but I don't notice it all the time and wish it away. I would think the engraving sells less pens by it being seen on existing models in use, than the loss of sales by those that don't want it on a pen.

The daily branding is actually not that prominent.. I will show you the branding... In apne as in whole tomorrow

vaibhav mehandiratta

architect & fountain pen connoisseur

blog | instagram | twitter

The daily branding is actually not that prominent.. I will show you the branding... In apne as in whole tomorrow

This is the one I received.

post-121667-0-01972300-1438006449_thumb.jpg

Well, that's a relief. From what I can tell from the photos, the logos look nice. The marbleizing on the Athlete makes the engraving blend a little more into the pen itself. I got a pen similar to abkudva's (a Daily in a different marble color) so I hope the effect is similar as well. Engraving is much better than printing the name on, that's for sure. I agree with Spaceink that the printing on the Galactic (or any pen, for that matter) is a negative. Some kinds of wear make a pen look mellow and broken-in but when that Galactic imprint begins to wear off, it's going to look really ratty.

MKB, I don't think the engraving looks bad, even with no marbleizing to disguise it. My objection is inclusion of the word "Pens;" - "ASA" is sufficient. "Hey, ASA, we know it's a pen."

I'm excited about getting my FIRST pen from India!

Edited by Manalto

James

I have a custom Asa pen, with no logo on it :)

you should tell Mr. Subramanian what bother you, maybe he will come with a solution :)

Edited by L.Velvet

Yeah, hope you are right that it becomes not so noticeable. I figure that if it bothers me on the Spear on my way, I'll probably just try to find a way to fill it in with some kind of material. Anxious, as I has just seen other customers' photos of the pen and thought the logo larger than even on the Athlete.

The photos mentioned are in this review:

https://mehandiratta.wordpress.com/2015/05/01/pen-review-asa-spear/

I hope going forward Mr. Subramanian will find ways to include the logo on the pen in an elegant, less obtrusive way. I do look forward to trying out an ASA pen.

Edited by spaceink

It really isn't a big deal. I don't see what the whole fuss is about to be honest.

It's about fountain pens and individual preference. Your statement could be applied to just about any of the thousands of comments on this forum about aesthetics, color, nib performance, inks, etc., etc. You're just noticing that now?

Edited by Manalto

James

I have never felt the logo detracted from the ASA pens in any way. For the ASA Daily in blue ripple I'm using today, I find it very hard to see the logo without purposely looking for it.

In order to photograph it, I had to get it in the highlight. So like I mentioned before, it's not something I notice all the time. I'm just saying that as a consumer, it was a negative when deciding to purchase the pen, which I thought would be helpful information to ASA.

Dear All,

Thank you for your interesting views. We are looking at various aspects at this stage.

In case you want your pen branded differently, please do drop us a mail at unik.services@hotmail.com

I am sure, now nothing will stop you from owning and enjoying a ASA Pen!!

Rgds

Subramaniam

It's about fountain pens and individual preference. Your statement could be applied to just about any of the thousands of comments on this forum about aesthetics, color, nib performance, inks, etc., etc. You're just noticing that now?

No, I've noticed the logo before.

Thank you for your reply, Mrs. Subramanium. I will email you regarding my Spear order.

Hope that I've not create too much of a dust-up but just wanted to ask the question here to gauge to see if I'm not alone in the sentiment. If anything I hope that it has been useful customer research to see what some of us foreign buyers prefer.

Edited by spaceink