(Please Vote) Has Your Twsbi Cracked?

DevrimJan

Has your TWSBI cracked?  

590 members have voted

1. 1. Has your TWSBI Diamond 530 cracked?

• Yes.
    • No.
    • Don't own one.
  2. 2. Has your TWSBI Diamond 540 cracked?

• Yes.
    • No.
    • Don't own one.
  3. 3. Has your TWSBI Diamond 580 cracked?

• Yes.
    • No.
    • Don't own one.
  4. 4. Has your TWSBI Diamond Mini cracked?

• Yes.
    • No.
    • Don't own one.
  5. 5. Has your TWSBI Vac 700 cracked?

• Yes.
    • No.
    • Don't own one.
  6. 6. Has your TWSBI Classic cracked?

• Yes.
    • No.
    • Don't own one.
  7. 7. Has your TWSBI Eco cracked?

• Yes.
    • No.
    • Don't own one.

Recently noticed a 540 with a crack while trying to fill it with ink. A week later, I pulled one of my VACs out of its leather carrying case and noticed its cap had cracked. Twsbi sent me a replacement barrel and VAC cap for $7. Never had one of my Mont Blancs, Pelikans, Pilots, Sailors, Platinums, Parkers, or Bexleys (many are Demonstrators like TWSBI) crack and I have been collecting pens for over 4 decades. Twsbi clearly has a problem with the acrylic it uses in its pens. I still use and like them, but this is a very frustrating issue with the brand.

• 4 weeks later...
  • Replies 201
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Drone

• dauodwa

• EBUCKTHORN

• Jamerelbe

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I have 580, ECO and Vac 700R. No cracks and they live quite "active" life. 580 has been my go to pen for years. I also don't use any special carrying case, all my pens travel in my regular pencil case among the other pens and pencils I have. But I don't take them a part when cleaning and I don't even remove nib units.

I'm really upset. :(

After six months and enjoying it a lot my TWSBI VAC Mini started to crack at the barrel screw that holds the cap while writing. I don't use the pen every day and I'm VERY careful - that's why I'm so upset. Better saying, angry. :angry:

Is there any way to update the poll, and add a separate question for the Vac 700R? It's a minor redesign to the Vac 700, but they may have improved the resilience of the barrel similar to the 530/540/580 line.

Edited by ErrantSmudge

This thread makes me glad I've not used my ECO, even though it's tempting me as of late!

<i>Many boys will bring you flowers. But someday you'll meet a boy who will learn your favourite flower, your favourite song, your favourite sweet. And even if he is too poor to give you any of them, it won't matter because he will have taken the time to know you as no one else does. Only that boy earns your heart-Leigh Bardugo

. Please assume no affiliation, as I'm just a pleased customer. IG: Lenses and pens_

2 x Vac 700 both developed cracks. Only used one.

Diamond 540 cracks

580 AL cracks

2 x Diamond Mini's both developed cracks

Mini Vac cracks.

These are really neat pens. They look great, hold a ton of ink and are inexpensive, but you get what you pay for. Cheap plastic pens that crack for no apparent reason. Although I have enjoyed these pens, I will not purchase another TWSBI. Too many better made pens out there and I am not too concerned if the price is a bit more. Would rather pay the extra price for a pen that will not crack with minimal use and tender care.

Well, it's happened to me. The Vac 700R I purchased in January has two hairline cracks on the body where the threads are for the cap. Not very noticeable, but I have no clue if they'll get worse.

I can talk to TWSBI and get a new barrel, but I'm still within Goulet's 90-day return window. I know I won't get the full price returned, but I may cut my losses and find another pen.

I love the feel of this pen and how it writes. I'm very disappointed that TWSBI can't get this solved. There really isn't any excuse for it. While they may be "inexpensive" for fountain pens (although not inexpensive for me), there are plenty of cheaper fountain pens out there that don't crack (Lamy Safari).

It's the 21st century. I can buy a microwave for $100. A $70 pen that doesn't crack shouldn't be that hard.

Cheers.

EDIT: I have an Eco-T that was purchased in December. It's crack-free, but I'm not holding my breath.

Edited by fuddmain

~Brian

"Mostly I just kill time, and it dies hard." - Raymond Chandler (The Long Goodbye)

I have a few TWSBI's that haven't cracked, but I've had only 1 Eco for 6 months that rarely left my desk and was unused for a majority of the time, 1 Eco-T for 2 months, and 1 580 for a couple weeks. I also purchased others for gifts.

But lets just say I'm not that confident and even try to be ginger with them when I use them as EDC. I don't have close to the confidence I have with my Lamy's, Jinhao's, or honestly basically any other pen I have.

They are really neat pens, but these QC's are disconcerting and though my pens have some of the best nibs I've used, I've gotten a couple fickle nibs with other TWSBI pens that have been troublesome with TWSBI refusing to exchange or do anything about them. In fact TWSBI was very rude to me when I requested nib exchanges. With all the cracking going on I can see why they wouldn't want to make that an option.

I still like the pens, but TWSBI's QC issues do motivate me to move on to better pens. Instead of bargain hunting on entry level pens I've simply begun to take my time and save for higher quality pens. I was considering a Vac700R, but I'm just going to wait a while and get a Pilot 823. Plus there's Platinum 3776's and Pilot 74's available for under $100.

This thread makes me glad I've not used my ECO, even though it's tempting me as of late!

The problem is it’s just asking if it cracked. Not how long you’ve had it or how much use it’s had.

My eco is about a year old now, has been inked the whole year and has been carted around everywhere in my bag. Usually loose in a pocket, no pen case or anything. It’s fine. If it does eventually crack, it’ll be annoying, but not a big deal since I use it so much. Sure, I’ll be upset while it’s out of service, because it’s one of my most comfortable pens. But stuff breaks sometimes.

My 580 will be 2 years old this summer, and has had the same kind of use. I can get by just carrying these two pens really, nothing else. I’d be slightly sadder if it cracked, because it’s a more expensive pen body and because it’s a favorite for ink testing.

I’m not sure how many Sakura Pigma Micron pens I would have needed to do as much drawing as I’ve done with my 2, but at $3 per, it doesn’t take very many to recoup an eco’s cost. And a micron isn’t as comfortable for me to use. And in very fine sizes, I’d probably ruin the tips before they ran out of ink. Lefty and fineliner tips tend not to go well together. (And a micron is what it’d take to replace my eco- it gets fed nothing but Platinum Carbon Black)

If you look in the vintage pen threads and forums, very few pens survive decades without accidents. A lot of vintage pens have clear evidence of repair. The designs that are truly bomb proof are unusual and special.

There's plenty of $30 dollar and less pens that don't have the incident's of cracking at the frequency these pens are reported to have.

That said, you do get a lot for your money with the Eco: A Jowo nib, demonstrator, piston filler, but at the trade off of receiving an item that has a higher probability to crack than other competing pens at this price range. But the other pens at this price range, IMO and IME don't have the quality nibs these pens do nor the filling mechanism these do that optimize ink carrying capacity.

It's a trade off.

And in my opinion, TWSBI is a pen company that still has yet to get their pens to a more acceptable standard of durability, but maybe they can't do that and keep the price at the same point.

I will say the $30 option of an Eco is intriguing, competing head on with the safari. And at $50 the experience of a 580 is very pleasant. It's very hard to find a Jowo nib at that price point. It's very hard to find a piston filler at this price point besides chinese manufactured pens that have inferior nibs.

Personally, I would prefer to know I can buy a TWSBI at any price point knowing that it can last like a Lamy Safari. It would be nice to see them get to that point.

But right now they are at the point where there are reviewers on youtube reporting crackings, threads on Fountainpennetwork taking polls on cracking with consistent feedback indicating so. There is reported improvement, but not enough for me to say: this is a durable pen I don't have to worry about.

But, you know, maybe the TWSBI Eco-T is a stronger design, maybe they are moving in a different direction, but until the frequency of reported cracks diminishes under the increasing frequency of praise for no cracking, I will say the company has progress to make in the materials they use with their pens and the designs they come out with.

They do work hard on QC, they do offer pens at a nice price point that bridges the offering from lower priced entry level pens to that $100 price point well, but the only negative correlation associated with this price point is the durability.

And it would be nice to see that remedied.

There's plenty of $30 dollar and less pens that don't have the incident's of cracking at the frequency these pens are reported to have.

That said, you do get a lot for your money with the Eco: A Jowo nib, demonstrator, piston filler, but at the trade off of receiving an item that has a higher probability to crack than other competing pens at this price range. But the other pens at this price range, IMO and IME don't have the quality nibs these pens do nor the filling mechanism these do that optimize ink carrying capacity.

It's a trade off.

And in my opinion, TWSBI is a pen company that still has yet to get their pens to a more acceptable standard of durability, but maybe they can't do that and keep the price at the same point.

I will say the $30 option of an Eco is intriguing, competing head on with the safari. And at $50 the experience of a 580 is very pleasant. It's very hard to find a Jowo nib at that price point. It's very hard to find a piston filler at this price point besides chinese manufactured pens that have inferior nibs.

Personally, I would prefer to know I can buy a TWSBI at any price point knowing that it can last like a Lamy Safari. It would be nice to see them get to that point.

But right now they are at the point where there are reviewers on youtube reporting crackings, threads on Fountainpennetwork taking polls on cracking with consistent feedback indicating so. There is reported improvement, but not enough for me to say: this is a durable pen I don't have to worry about.

But, you know, maybe the TWSBI Eco-T is a stronger design, maybe they are moving in a different direction, but until the frequency of reported cracks diminishes under the increasing frequency of praise for no cracking, I will say the company has progress to make in the materials they use with their pens and the designs they come out with.

They do work hard on QC, they do offer pens at a nice price point that bridges the offering from lower priced entry level pens to that $100 price point well, but the only negative correlation associated with this price point is the durability.

And it would be nice to see that remedied.

Great analysis! 👍

Hi all,

This poll surely is a nice attempt to get a view the evolution of crack risks over time.

However I don't understand why the poll includes a "don't have one" response alternative.

Doing so clear view on the effective cracking risk percentages becomes impossible.

Francis

Hi all,

This poll surely is a nice attempt to get a view the evolution of crack risks over time.

However I don't understand why the poll includes a "don't have one" response alternative.

Doing so clear view on the effective cracking risk percentages becomes impossible.

Francis

True!

• 3 weeks later...

I have several TWSBI pens. I only had a problem with one of the 530 but it was not really a crack, it was like the plastic of the section was melting. I took it to the Thailand distributor PSP Cafe and 2 weeks after I received a called telling me that the pen was back. After some days I went to the PSP Cafe and I was surprised when they give me what it seems a new 580 pen. When I ask about the cost of the repair/exchange the owner told me that it was a guarantee repair.I was happily surprised with the service and since then I had bought more Twsbi pens knowing that if something goes wrong with them there is an efficient service available.

I've had 8 TWSBI pens and haven't had cracking issues with any of them, but it's one of the first things that I heard about when researching the brand. Maybe they've done better with recent pens and fixed the issues. For the most part.

I have several TWSBI pens. I only had a problem with one of the 530 but it was not really a crack, it was like the plastic of the section was melting. I took it to the Thailand distributor PSP Cafe and 2 weeks after I received a called telling me that the pen was back. After some days I went to the PSP Cafe and I was surprised when they give me what it seems a new 580 pen. When I ask about the cost of the repair/exchange the owner told me that it was a guarantee repair.I was happily surprised with the service and since then I had bought more Twsbi pens knowing that if something goes wrong with them there is an efficient service available.

The PIPS cafe is the correct name. Not related to them except a happy customer.

I just noticed a 3 cm long hairline crack running on the cap just below the gold band under the finial in my TWSBI Mini White and Rose Gold pen. I bought this as a new pen from an online dealer (Goulet?) many years ago. I'm bummed.