(Please Vote) Has Your Twsbi Cracked?

DevrimJan

Has your TWSBI cracked?  

590 members have voted

1. 1. Has your TWSBI Diamond 530 cracked?

• Yes.
    • No.
    • Don't own one.
  2. 2. Has your TWSBI Diamond 540 cracked?

• Yes.
    • No.
    • Don't own one.
  3. 3. Has your TWSBI Diamond 580 cracked?

• Yes.
    • No.
    • Don't own one.
  4. 4. Has your TWSBI Diamond Mini cracked?

• Yes.
    • No.
    • Don't own one.
  5. 5. Has your TWSBI Vac 700 cracked?

• Yes.
    • No.
    • Don't own one.
  6. 6. Has your TWSBI Classic cracked?

• Yes.
    • No.
    • Don't own one.
  7. 7. Has your TWSBI Eco cracked?

• Yes.
    • No.
    • Don't own one.

I love my 580. I owned one for a few weeks before it was stolen. Bought another because it's my favorite pen.

Well, Art is Art, isn't it? Still, on the other hand, water is water. And east is east and west is west and if you take cranberries and stew them like applesauce they taste much more like prunes than rhubarb does. Now you tell me what you know.-Groucho Marx

Good artists copy. Great artists steal. -Me.

• Replies 201
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Drone

• dauodwa

• EBUCKTHORN

• Jamerelbe

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Yep, mines the first Eco to crack !

That's a real bummer. Any word on getting it, or parts parts replaced?

"We can become expert in an erroneous view" --Tenzin Wangyal Rinoche

• 2 weeks later...

There wasn't an option in the poll but I'd like to report that the nib unit housing on my Micarta (clipless) cracked twice. It was sent with a tiny hairline crack that mysteriously kept leaking ink until Philip walked me through a disassembly process and i discovered it. He graciously replaced the nib unit and adjusted my nib.

I eventually cleaned out and put away the pen for a year (working fine at the time). Just a few weeks ago when I took the pen out again, I unscrewed the nib unit to check and there were cracks all over the housing. Good thing I checked before inking it up. I ordered a Vac 700 nib replacement and just received it today. It's installed and working fine (so far).

2 x Mini

1 x Vac 700

4 x 580

None of them cracked for me or has shown sign of cracking. The oldest one is about 3 years old. I use them regularly, at least 4 TWSBI's are inked at any given time.

I carry them in pen cases, and I don't post the caps of my pens (except the Mini's which has the threads to twist on the cap).

Added: I'd forgotten about the new Eco's.

2x Eco as well.

Edited by SNAK

Well, I just added my vote. Three days before having the pen a full month, my Mini Classic's nib & feed holder broke. I have no idea how. I was taking it apart to clean it and did not mean to actually extract the nib and feed from the holder, I was trying to get the whole nib assembly out of the sleeve it slides into and it all just pulled out rather easily. That's when I noticed the holder was broken.

Philip has a new part on its way to me; though not for free...cost me 3.00. I found that odd, but I *did* say "Let me know if I need to pay anything". So, meh...

The only TWSBI that I've owned is a 530. I have only inked it maybe 2 or 3 times, but it has not cracked (yet). I've heard they were quite prone to cracking, so I use it sparingly.

Derek's Pens and Pencils

I am always looking for new penpals! Send me a pm if you'd like to exchange correspondence. :)

The only TWSBI that I've owned is a 530. I have only inked it maybe 2 or 3 times, but it has not cracked (yet). I've heard they were quite prone to cracking, so I use it sparingly.

Yeah, that's no fun...if mine cracks again, I'll get the replacement part from Philip to make it whole again and then sell it. I can get the nib type I got this pen for in other types of pens...but I sure would miss it. Love the size and dimensions...and capacity...

• 4 weeks later...

interesting.

as of 1:47 pm CDT (U.S.) on 10/15/2015, of those who own the model, crack %:

530 48%

540 58%

Classic 10%

Mini 33%

VAC 700 21%

580 15%

Eco 5%

Build quality, aging, both? Difficult to separate that part out.

Note: Owner of 580, 580AL, Eco

"I am a dancer who walks for a living" Michael Erard

"Reality then, may be an illusion, but the illusion itself is real." Niklas Luhmann

I had been a promoter of twsbi pens thinking that I will like to support a new pen company.Lately one of my 530 pen just went wrong in any possible way. the piston broke,the section crake and in got all stain.Then I send an email to twsbi asking to buy a new barrel and get no answer.Now I think that my investment in 8 pens was terrible mistake.

You can contact TWSBI through here or via the email address in another post. They have been very good about answering emails in my experience.

Fountain pens are my preferred COLOR DELIVERY SYSTEM (in part because crayons melt in Las Vegas).

Create a Ghostly Avatar and I'll send you a letter. Check out some Ink comparisons: The Great PPS Comparison 

Don't know where to start?  Look at the Inky Topics O'day.  Then, see inks sorted by color: Blue Purple Brown Red Green Dark Green Orange Black Pinks Yellows Blue-Blacks Grey/Gray UVInks Turquoise/Teal MURKY

I agree. I had a concern - foundless as it turned out - and my email was replied to same day with a courteous explanation.

"You can't wait for inspiration. You have to go after it with a club."

- Jack London

http://i729.photobucket.com/albums/ww296/messiah_FPN/Badges/SnailBadge.png

I really don't know that this is a fair poll, since like others here, I own many TWSBIs. Of my more than 20 540s, some did develop cracks, most did not. All were replaced promptly and without any fuss. None of my more than 5 580s or 5 700s have ever developed cracks. (Yes, I own a lot of TWSBIs)

I purchased TWSBIs to be my lifelong Frankenpen. When I am old and can no longer afford to buy pens, I will always be able to make a few TWSBIs to test out my ink collection.

Fountain pens are my preferred COLOR DELIVERY SYSTEM (in part because crayons melt in Las Vegas).

Create a Ghostly Avatar and I'll send you a letter. Check out some Ink comparisons: The Great PPS Comparison 

Don't know where to start?  Look at the Inky Topics O'day.  Then, see inks sorted by color: Blue Purple Brown Red Green Dark Green Orange Black Pinks Yellows Blue-Blacks Grey/Gray UVInks Turquoise/Teal MURKY

I've had my Diamond 580 (Clear) for a year or so now, a few months back it cracked where the clip and top cap meet. Nothing out of the ordinary in terms of use. Just regular clipping on elastic pen holders and fabric pen rolls. Love the pen though. It's a great value for the price. It seems people have had luck contacting Speedy for replacement parts... I'll give that a whirl.

My Mini has had a tiny crack on the grip for a while now, but it wasn't compromising anything major structurally for the pen so I ignored it. Last time I disassembled the pen, however, I found the feed hood thing had separated in two, the break being where the o-ring is. The pen is still usable, but when the M nib units are back in stock at Goulet I'm going to snag one (it's currently outfitted with a stub, and I've discovered I'm not a fan of stubs, which is why I'm buying a new nib unit instead of contacting TWSBI for a replacement). I've had the pen about a year, and it's given me a lot of flow issues. I'm curious to see how the pen works with a different nib unit.

I've had my Diamond 580 (Clear) for a year or so now, a few months back it cracked where the clip and top cap meet. Nothing out of the ordinary in terms of use. Just regular clipping on elastic pen holders and fabric pen rolls. Love the pen though. It's a great value for the price. It seems people have had luck contacting Speedy for replacement parts... I'll give that a whirl.

I've had my Diamond 580 clear, and my Vac 700 smoke, both for well over a year, probably more like two years. No problems with either (except I don't really like vacuum fillers, and I don't know why I bought it; but it does write well for an oriental F). And then, I did get too aggressive with disassembling the 580 for cleaning once, lost the tiny nut inside the cap; TWSBI replaced the whole cap for reasonable shipping charges only.

My 530 cracked a few weeks ago. TWSBI replaced it with a 580 using my 530's (awesome) nib. It took about 1-2 weeks.

"Anyone who lives within their means suffers from a lack of imagination."

Oscar Wilde