The Fountain Pen Network uses (functional) cookies. Read the Privacy Policy for more info.  To remove this message, please click here to accept the use of cookies

Photo

(Please Vote) Has Your Twsbi Cracked?

twsbi poll crack reliability

• Please log in to reply
155 replies to this topic

Poll: Has your TWSBI cracked? (461 member(s) have cast votes)

Has your TWSBI Diamond 530 cracked?

1. Yes. (36 votes [7.81%])

Percentage of vote: 7.81%

2. No. (32 votes [6.94%])

Percentage of vote: 6.94%

3. Voted Don't own one. (393 votes [85.25%])

Percentage of vote: 85.25%

Has your TWSBI Diamond 540 cracked?

1. Yes. (63 votes [13.67%])

Percentage of vote: 13.67%

2. No. (46 votes [9.98%])

Percentage of vote: 9.98%

3. Voted Don't own one. (352 votes [76.36%])

Percentage of vote: 76.36%

Has your TWSBI Diamond 580 cracked?

1. Yes. (41 votes [8.89%])

Percentage of vote: 8.89%

2. Voted No. (176 votes [38.18%])

Percentage of vote: 38.18%

3. Don't own one. (244 votes [52.93%])

Percentage of vote: 52.93%

Has your TWSBI Diamond Mini cracked?

1. Yes. (53 votes [11.50%])

Percentage of vote: 11.50%

2. No. (100 votes [21.69%])

Percentage of vote: 21.69%

3. Voted Don't own one. (308 votes [66.81%])

Percentage of vote: 66.81%

Has your TWSBI Vac 700 cracked?

1. Yes. (31 votes [6.72%])

Percentage of vote: 6.72%

2. No. (110 votes [23.86%])

Percentage of vote: 23.86%

3. Voted Don't own one. (320 votes [69.41%])

Percentage of vote: 69.41%

Has your TWSBI Classic cracked?

1. Yes. (13 votes [2.82%])

Percentage of vote: 2.82%

2. No. (36 votes [7.81%])

Percentage of vote: 7.81%

3. Voted Don't own one. (412 votes [89.37%])

Percentage of vote: 89.37%

Has your TWSBI Eco cracked?

1. Yes. (13 votes [2.82%])

Percentage of vote: 2.82%

2. No. (143 votes [31.02%])

Percentage of vote: 31.02%

3. Voted Don't own one. (305 votes [66.16%])

Percentage of vote: 66.16%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#21 Thor_Odinson

Thor_Odinson

Near Mint

• Member - Silver

• PipPipPip
  • 29 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 29 August 2015 - 15:45

I love my 580. I owned one for a few weeks before it was stolen. Bought another because it's my favorite pen.

Well, Art is Art, isn't it? Still, on the other hand, water is water. And east is east and west is west and if you take cranberries and stew them like applesauce they taste much more like prunes than rhubarb does. Now you tell me what you know.-Groucho Marx

Good artists copy. Great artists steal. -Me.

Sponsored Content

#22 bongo47

bongo47

Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 134 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 01 September 2015 - 11:51

Yep, mines the first Eco to crack !

That's a real bummer. Any word on getting it, or parts parts replaced?

"We can become expert in an erroneous view" --Tenzin Wangyal Rinoche

#23 TrinityTam

TrinityTam

Mint

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPip
  • 94 posts

Posted 09 September 2015 - 18:20

There wasn't an option in the poll but I'd like to report that the nib unit housing on my Micarta (clipless) cracked twice.  It was sent with a tiny hairline crack that mysteriously kept leaking ink until Philip walked me through a disassembly process and i discovered it.  He graciously replaced the nib unit and adjusted my nib.

I eventually cleaned out and put away the pen for a year (working fine at the time).  Just a few weeks ago when I took the pen out again, I unscrewed the nib unit to check and there were cracks all over the housing.  Good thing I checked before inking it up.  I ordered a Vac 700 nib replacement and just received it today. It's installed and working fine (so far).

#24 Force

Force

Fergus 1998-2015

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,577 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 10 September 2015 - 04:17

Don't own one ?????

Why put that in the poll.

#25 SNAK

SNAK

Vintage

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 748 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 10 September 2015 - 08:18

2 x Mini

1 x Vac 700

4 x 580

None of them cracked for me or has shown sign of cracking. The oldest one is about 3 years old. I use them regularly, at least 4 TWSBI's are inked at any given time. 

I carry them in pen cases, and I don't post the caps of my pens (except the Mini's which has the threads to twist on the cap). 

Added: I'd forgotten about the new Eco's. 

2x Eco as well.

Edited by SNAK, 10 September 2015 - 08:22.

#26 sirgilbert357

sirgilbert357

Antique

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,667 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 11 September 2015 - 20:19

Well, I just added my vote. Three days before having the pen a full month, my Mini Classic's nib & feed holder broke. I have no idea how. I was taking it apart to clean it and did not mean to actually extract the nib and feed from the holder, I was trying to get the whole nib assembly out of the sleeve it slides into and it all just pulled out rather easily. That's when I noticed the holder was broken.

Philip has a new part on its way to me; though not for free...cost me 3.00. I found that odd, but I *did* say "Let me know if I need to pay anything". So, meh...

#27 Berelleza

Berelleza

Master of Zero

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 742 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 17 September 2015 - 23:58

I should and will vote 5 times because I have 5 TWISBIs that have not
cracked

#28 ThirdeYe

ThirdeYe

Snail Mail Addict

• Member - Gold

• 1,749 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 18 September 2015 - 03:33

The only TWSBI that I've owned is a 530. I have only inked it maybe 2 or 3 times, but it has not cracked (yet). I've heard they were quite prone to cracking, so I use it sparingly.

Derek's Pens and Pencils
I am always looking for new penpals! Send me a pm if you'd like to exchange correspondence. :)

#29 sirgilbert357

sirgilbert357

Antique

• Member - Gold

• 1,667 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 18 September 2015 - 15:29

The only TWSBI that I've owned is a 530. I have only inked it maybe 2 or 3 times, but it has not cracked (yet). I've heard they were quite prone to cracking, so I use it sparingly.

Yeah, that's no fun...if mine cracks again, I'll get the replacement part from Philip to make it whole again and then sell it. I can get the nib type I got this pen for in other types of pens...but I sure would miss it. Love the size and dimensions...and capacity...

#30 2n7000

2n7000

Mint

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPip
  • 55 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 14 October 2015 - 23:05

No cracks in my 580 but it's rarely inked up and used.

#31 Moynihan

Moynihan

Old Guy

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 559 posts

Posted 15 October 2015 - 18:52

interesting.

as of 1:47 pm CDT (U.S.) on 10/15/2015, of those who own the model, crack %:

530   48%

540   58%

Classic 10%

Mini   33%

VAC 700  21%

580  15%

Eco  5%

Build quality, aging, both? Difficult to separate that part out.

Note: Owner of 580, 580AL, Eco

"I am a dancer who walks for a living" Michael Erard "Reality then, may be an illusion, but the illusion itself is real." Niklas Luhmann

#32 jchch1950

jchch1950

Extremely Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 282 posts

Posted 17 October 2015 - 16:32

I had been a promoter of twsbi pens thinking that I will like to support  a new pen company.Lately one of my 530 pen just went wrong in any possible way. the piston broke,the section crake and in got all stain.Then I send an email to twsbi asking to buy a new barrel and get no answer.Now I think that my investment in 8 pens was terrible mistake.

#33 amberleadavis

amberleadavis

Inky! En-Abe-Lawyer

• FPN Super Moderators

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 33,273 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 17 October 2015 - 21:13

You can contact TWSBI through here or via the email address in another post.  They have been very good about answering emails in my experience.

If you see one of my posts and an image is missing, please copy the the URL or the link to the post and send me a PM (Private Message) so that I can upload the images. I changed hosting companies and not all of the images were uploaded.

Want to get a special letter / gift from me, then create a Ghostly Avatar?  

Get a chance to try out pens look at the TWSBI Loaners  and  Estie Loaners

Ink comparisons:  The Great PPS Comparison  366 Inks in 2016

Check out inks sorted by color:  Blue Purple Brown  Red Green Orange Black  Pinks  Yellows  Blue-Blacks

Fountain pens are my PREFERRED ADVANCED COLOR DELIVERY SYSTEM in part because crayons melt in Las Vegas.

#34 T4TEXAS

T4TEXAS

Vintage

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 623 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 17 October 2015 - 21:16

I agree. I had a concern - foundless as it turned out - and my email was replied to same day with a courteous explanation.

"You can't wait for inspiration. You have to go after it with a club."

- Jack London

SnailBadge.png

#35 amberleadavis

amberleadavis

Inky! En-Abe-Lawyer

• FPN Super Moderators

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 33,273 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 18 October 2015 - 01:55

I really don't know that this is a fair poll, since like others here, I own many TWSBIs.  Of my more than 20 540s, some did develop cracks, most did not. All were replaced promptly and without any fuss.  None of my more than 5 580s or 5 700s have ever developed cracks.  (Yes, I own a lot of TWSBIs)

I purchased TWSBIs to be my lifelong Frankenpen. When I am old and can no longer afford to buy pens, I will always be able to make a few TWSBIs to test out my ink collection.  

If you see one of my posts and an image is missing, please copy the the URL or the link to the post and send me a PM (Private Message) so that I can upload the images. I changed hosting companies and not all of the images were uploaded.

Want to get a special letter / gift from me, then create a Ghostly Avatar?  

Get a chance to try out pens look at the TWSBI Loaners  and  Estie Loaners

Ink comparisons:  The Great PPS Comparison  366 Inks in 2016

Check out inks sorted by color:  Blue Purple Brown  Red Green Orange Black  Pinks  Yellows  Blue-Blacks

Fountain pens are my PREFERRED ADVANCED COLOR DELIVERY SYSTEM in part because crayons melt in Las Vegas.

#36 Amberjack

Amberjack

Extremely Rare

• FPN Supporter - Rhodium

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 302 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 18 October 2015 - 16:16

My only TWSBI is a black diamond mini that I've had for years. No cracking, smooth, wet nib and writes first time every time even after sitting for days. Maybe I'm just lucky but I love mine.

Jack
Letter Writers Alliance

#37 SalaciousBCrumb

SalaciousBCrumb

Dipped Only

• Member - Silver

• Pip
  • 1 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 21 October 2015 - 18:57

I've had my Diamond 580 (Clear) for a year or so now, a few months back it cracked where the clip and top cap meet. Nothing out of the ordinary in terms of use. Just regular clipping on elastic pen holders and fabric pen rolls. Love the pen though. It's a great value for the price. It seems people have had luck contacting Speedy for replacement parts... I'll give that a whirl. 

#38 bijou3owl

bijou3owl

Mint

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPip
  • 52 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 21 October 2015 - 19:36

My Mini has had a tiny crack on the grip for a while now, but it wasn't compromising anything major structurally for the pen so I ignored it. Last time I disassembled the pen, however, I found the feed hood thing had separated in two, the break being where the o-ring is. The pen is still usable, but when the M nib units are back in stock at Goulet I'm going to snag one (it's currently outfitted with a stub, and I've discovered I'm not a fan of stubs, which is why I'm buying a new nib unit instead of contacting TWSBI for a replacement). I've had the pen about a year, and it's given me a lot of flow issues. I'm curious to see how the pen works with a different nib unit. 

#39 abstract49

abstract49

Vintage

• FPN Supporter - Platinum

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 505 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 21 October 2015 - 22:56

I've had my Diamond 580 (Clear) for a year or so now, a few months back it cracked where the clip and top cap meet. Nothing out of the ordinary in terms of use. Just regular clipping on elastic pen holders and fabric pen rolls. Love the pen though. It's a great value for the price. It seems people have had luck contacting Speedy for replacement parts... I'll give that a whirl. 

I've had my Diamond 580 clear, and my Vac 700 smoke, both for well over a year, probably more like two years. No problems with either (except I don't really like vacuum fillers, and I don't know why I bought it; but it does write well for an oriental F). And then, I did get too aggressive with disassembling the 580 for cleaning once, lost the tiny nut inside the cap; TWSBI replaced the whole cap for reasonable shipping charges only.

#40 Lloyd

Lloyd

Can a nib be smoothed by psychokinesis?

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,777 posts
  • Location:Trapped inside of a snowglobe that is resting upon a mantel in a home in Massachusetts

Posted 22 October 2015 - 04:07

My 530 cracked a few weeks ago.  TWSBI replaced it with a 580 using my 530's (awesome) nib.  It took about 1-2 weeks.

"Anyone who lives within their means suffers from a lack of imagination."
Oscar Wilde

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: twsbi, poll, crack, reliability

Sponsored Content

|