The Untold Story Of The Wearever Saber Cartridge Fill Fountain Pen

PenHero

Fellow Collectors,

Spent come time researching the less known Wearever Saber cartridge fountain pen as they keep showing up in the bags o pens I get when I hit antiques stores over the summer. Many collectors think these pens are cartridge Pennants, but the evidence is that the Saber was a distinct pen from the Pennant.
http://www.penhero.com/PenGallery/Wearever/Pics/WeareverSaber01.jpg
There is really very little in the way of primary information on the Wearever brand, so I found myself in the patent and trademark search engines, looking at newspaper and magazine ads, gathering up lots of example pens and ephemera in order to complete this little quest.
Some of you may find it interesting that David Kahn, Inc held dozens of patents and trademarks and may have been the largest volume producer of fountain pens in the country in the 1950s. This helped me ferret out details that were hard to come by.
http://www.penhero.com/PenGallery/Wearever/Pics/WeareverPennant02_1024.jpg
I hope you enjoy reading and would love for any additional input. Especially any Wearever price lists and catalogs from the 1940s and 1950s.
Wearever Saber c1958-1962 article on PenHero.com
Thanks!
Jim Mamoulides
www.PenHero.com

• Replies 5
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• PenHero

• Zookie

Great article, I really enjoyed it! After reading it, I dug through my boxes of pens, and came up with 7 or 8 Wearever fountain pens, a couple of ballpoints, and a pencil or two. Unfortunately no Pennants or Sabres.

I'm going to start looking.

Is it possible to use the cartridge pens as eyedroppers if there's no cartridge available?

Doug

Hi, Doug,

Thanks for the positive feedback!

I would imagine that you could make a Saber into an eyedropper if you sealed the screw joint. I have not personally done this, but there are several collectors that do this with pens that have barrels without any holes or joints.

I just received a pen from an unknown maker. 99 cents. The seller threw in an old Wearever Pioneer as a free gift! Wasn't that nice?
Doug

BTW, I've added a couple shots of my "Taperite Citation" type pen, the one that I've been working on.

Edited by Zookie

Hi, Zookie,

I think I have some data on the "Taperite" Wearever that shows the name of the pen and the period made. I have that on my to-do list to update.

Thanks!

• 4 years later...

Hi, Folks!

This is a Wearever Saber cartridge fountain pen in gray c. 1958-1962. The 5 7/16 inch long Saber is effectively a second version Pennant that uses cartridges. The stainless steel nib features a clear Lucite “C-Flow” feed without the Pennant's overfeed and was offered in extra fine, flexible fine, steno, medium and broad. The cap has a satin finish metal cover, probably stainless steel. The barrels were made of solid color injection molded plastic in black, red, gray, green, and light blue. They sold for $1.00.

http://www.penhero.com/Temp/WeareverSabre_2048_01.jpg

Thanks!