Can I Borrow Your Pen?

ClarkRatliffe

Occasionally I'm asked by a stranger to borrow my pen. For instance, recently I was on a plane and customs forms were passed out to everyone. I filled out the form with my fountain pen and when I was done the fellow in the seat next to me says "Let me borrow your pen for a minute." The answer is always some version of no, but I'm curious what others say in these circumstances. With cheap throw-away pens being ubiquitous, people are sometimes dumbfounded when I refuse.

I usually say something like "Oh sorry this is a fountain pen (as though that explains everything). Let me see if I have a pen you can use." I actually do carry a ballpoint just for this purpose in my briefcase, but it is not always with me. I get strange puzzled looks. Only rarely does anybody ask for a further explanation. It is most awkward when someone asks if I have a pen they can borrow (when I'm clearly holding a pen) and I have to say "I do have a pen, but sorry it's not one you can borrow."

Clark

Without reading further, "Let me borrow your pen for a minute" is not the way to ask to borrow my pen, and the answer is no. Probably apologetically, cos I was raised right.

etherX in To Miasto

Fleekair <--French accent.

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Manalto

• httpmom

• hbquikcomjamesl

• ScienceChick

I usually carry one or two throw-away pens for people to borrow when at work or in public (I get asked often). If I only have a fountain, it's an inflexible "no".

I've had a cashier ruin a nib, an old boss mess the tines out of alignment, people mindlessly drop a pen or a good number complain that "it doesn't work". If it's a stranger or co-worker, there really isn't time for a tutorial on how to use a fountain pen.

If it's family or friends, or if a co-worker asks about my fountain pens during a break, I don't mind then. I can explain it, show it, instruct so that I can rest assured that my pens shall not be destroyed and that the other party will have a positive experience with a fountain pen.

Ink, a drug.

― Vladimir Nabokov, Bend Sinister

Instagram:
a.transient.life

I haven't come across this situation myself, yet... but among the pens I keep in my briefcase (or any other travel bag I may be using), I keep/plan on keeping at least one roller ball pen for use in situations where fountain pens just wouldn't work right. One such situation would be to loan to someone else.

In addition to my fountain pens, I always have a little Fisher Bullet Space pen in a pants pocket. If I'm going to lend a pen to a stranger, that's the one that it will be. I decide based on the situation; even lending a ballpoint is not a given, although I generally will if they ask pleasantly and it's only going to be for a moment.

It's not really just a matter of fountain pens, or even "good" pens. I'm annoyed by people who never have a pen of their own with them, apparently because they assume they can always borrow one when they need one. I like to undercut that assumption.

"So convenient a thing it is to be a reasonable creature, since it enables one to find or make a reason for everything one has a mind to do."

- Benjamin Franklin

It's not really just a matter of fountain pens, or even "good" pens. I'm annoyed by people who never have a pen of their own with them, apparently because they assume they can always borrow one when they need one. I like to undercut that assumption.

I'm annoyed when I leave the house without a pen because someone in the family got into my purse and took it out without putting it back and they I must ask some unsuspecting person if I can please borrow their pen...ha!

"You mustn’t be afraid to dream a little bigger darling.” "Forever optimistic with a theme and purpose." "My other pen is oblique and dippy."

I hand it over, uncapped, while saying,"Have you ever used a fountain pen before?" Some immediately hand it back, some smile, say yes and start talking about their FP days and some say no and I give some quick "instructions." I haven't had a pen damaged and have had some pleasant conversations.

This is what I do unless all I have is a particularly precious one and the person who wants to borrow it seems likely to be a clod. I carry a Fisher Space Pen bullet pen in my pocket for just such emergencies.

“When the historians of education do equal and exact justice to all who have contributed toward educational progress, they will devote several pages to those revolutionists who invented steel pens and blackboards.” V.T. Thayer, 1928

Check out my Steel Pen Blog

"No one is exempt from talking nonsense; the mistake is to do it solemnly."

-Montaigne

I did the same thing. Keep the cap and never let the pen out of your sight.

Nice approach, especially the "never let the pen out of your sight" part. ;)

I've let people use my FPs in meetings and such...And the world did not end.

Though I will admit to being a bit touchy about my Sheaffer Targa, which was a college graduation gift from my grandfather. When someone asks to borrow that pen, my response -- depending on the person asking -- is "I've had this pen for thirty years because I don't loan it out."

Edited by Koyote

a Safari/Al-Star is kind of a good pen to use on the uninitiated.

You seem like a very kind person, which is why I think you'll have a sense of humor that my inner third grader wants to tell you I initially read this (on my phone) as "a Safari is kind of a good pen to use on the urinated"

That hasty read, BTW, should indicate neither that I have a poor opinion of Safaris nor that I deem people who do not use FPs as a fictitious though fantastic class known as "the urinated." It indicates only that progressive lenses are at best imperfect in reading mode.

Be honest. "Yes." Then, I hand over a bp or my Parker 45, etc. If it is a "non-loaner", the answer is "No."

If questioned politely, I might qualify with, "This is not a pen that I lend."

If challenged, LOOK OUT ! If you ask, I accept the right to decline. If I do not have the right to decline, then it is a DEMAND. LOOK OUT !

Auf freiem Grund mit freiem Volke stehn.
Zum Augenblicke dürft ich sagen:
Verweile doch, du bist so schön !

For me, as Koyote says.

If I have a nib that's a bit delicate, I say so when I lend the pen - just as I would with a 0.1mm fineliner. Otherwise, I don't say anything at all. I certainly don't plan to waste money on a ballpoint, let alone go to the trouble of carrying one around all the time to lend to people.

Depends on the situation. I have done both. If I do I always say "light touch" unless I know they know how to use properly.

Brad

"Words are, of course, the most powerful drug used by mankind" - Rudyard Kipling
"None of us can have as many virtues as the fountain-pen, or half its cussedness; but we can try." - Mark Twain

I don't like lending pens that cost more than about a dollar apiece out to people I don't trust to not destroy it or forget to give it back to me. So, usually my answer to the "can I borrow your pen" is "you can't borrow this one, but here's my Skilcraft ballpoint for you to use. Make sure I get it back."

If they are rude about it or are demanding in how they ask, the answer is usually no out of principle. "Hey, give me your pen" gets a swift "Nope." from me. Even if I'm using something that I would have let them borrow if they had asked nicely, it's a no.

In the end, it's my pen, paid for with my money, which I earned, and therefore I get to choose who uses it and who doesn't. If the prospective borrower dislikes that mentality, so be it. I've just had one too many pens lost and/or broken because I lent them out- and those were ballpoints.

Here to help when I know, learn when I don't, and pass on the information to anyone I can :)

I have loaned out fountain pens on occasion. When they ask, I warn them it is a fountain pen, and if they don't change their mind I uncap it and hand it to them saying "hold it this side up and use a light touch." It hasn't happened often, but so far none have been lost or returned any worse for the wear.

Adam

Dayton, OH

It is the glory of God to conceal a matter; to search out a matter is the glory of kings.

-- Prov 25:2

It's rather rare for someone to ask me to borrow a pen. What I'd do probably depends on what pens I have on hand at the time. I think that my first choice would be to offer a ballpoint, assuming one is available. I usually have some around, but they might not be immediately on hand. So if not, and I had a cheaper fountain pen, I might let someone use it (keeping the cap to help ensure I get it back) noting that they need to write more lightly with it than with a ballpoint. The more expensive the fountain pen though, the less likely I think I'd be to lend it to someone, especially someone not familiar with using fountain pens, for fear that it would get damaged.

If I really didn't want to loan out my fountain pen, but had no ballpoint pen and felt like I had to do something to help, I do have a sort of last resort option. The little pocket knife I carry has a small ballpoint pen in it, which ought to work for a fairly small writing job. I could let someone use that instead.

I suspect that the people who ask to borrow a pen are the same ones that came to school without a pen.

Any establishment that requires you do writing usually has several pens for people to use. Albeit they're on chains attached to the writing table.

At this point, the vast majority of ballpoints I've got are various freebies I got from hotels, conferences, etc... I think I keep a few in my bags just out of laziness. I guess I can make them the official loaner pens, lol.

A long time ago, I was at a meeting and an acquaintance asked to borrow my Waterman Laureat to write a note. It was my first FP, a gift from my wife. After writing a note with it, he capped it and for some reason became animated and started thumping the table with my pen at the bottom end, to emphasize something he was saying. I watched with horror and immediately snatched it from his hand. He barely noticed. Thankfully, my Laureat was undamaged. Nowadays, I usually carry a ballpoint or rollerball also, and usually offer that pen when asked to borrow one. I do keep watch because my ballpoints and rollerballs are not throwaways.

Another experience I recall was about ten years ago. I was at a judicial mediation and settled the case. When it was time for everyone to sign the memorandum of settlement, the Judge (retired) didn't have a pen at hand, so I offered him my Aurora Mare. He accepted my pen, looked at it for a second with what seemed like disapproval to me, and signed the memo. I never learned why he reacted this way. Strange.

A final thought, from another thread. Would you let someone borrow your underwear? If so, then I will politely try to change the subject with you. If not, then why would you let someone borrow your pen?

Edited by Mr. Dante

i cannot remember the last time a stranger asked me to borrow my pen. I guess I need to get out more!

What you need to say is No I do not have a pen you can borrow, then put the pen you are holding in your hand back in your pocket.

I think that is what I would do if asked.

If thats the case, maybe just stay in. :P Be more inviting! Spread the fortune of fountain pens!

I always carry two, one fairly expensive- one cheap, so i'd just warn them about pressure and let them try!

Someone did this today, and I handed her my Metropolitan. Before she uncapped it, I said, "It's a fountain pen, though." She uncapped it and looked quite excited. While writing it, she told me that she's been wanting to get a fountain pen, and so now she and I are going to go to a local pen store within the next couple of weeks so that I can help her choose her first fountain pen.

I love these stories too! It's about the picture perfect story for making a "fountain pen friend" out in the wild. :lol: I've yet to have the chance, but one day!

http://i729.photobucket.com/albums/ww296/messiah_FPN/Badges/SnailBadge.png
https://www.etsy.com/shop/FountainPenStation?ref=hdr_shop_menu

http://NIBBLYNIB.WORDPRESS.COM