What's A Fair Price For A Used Good To Mint 149?

dave999

• Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• dave999

• meiers

• torstar

• ______Zaphod_Beeblebrox

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Cool skull, Masterguns.

Thanks for the link to your thread, always good to have more data points and advice on a new subject.

For me, original boxes and papers of things I collect don't add any premium, it's a nice bonus but not something I would care to pay extra for.

While I like the 149s, I prefer using a 146 for extended writing sessions. And I'm a big guy with big hands. I also prefer the 14K nibs to the 18K nibs.

Good luck pen hunting!

+1. dave999: Before you commit to the 149, if you have never held one in your hands, please understand that it very large and very wide. The 149 is a "top of the line" prestige pen that will definitely make an impression with some people. I used to own a 149, but only used it to sign my name on documents. Because of its size, I never used it to write for any significant period of time. I now have a couple of 146s with different nib sizes, which are very enjoyable to write with. A 1980s 146 in very good to excellent condition can be found in the range of $250 USD. If you have your heart set on the 149, very good examples can be found in the $350 range. Happy hunting!

Keep looking on the FPN Classifieds, good deals are advertised often. Also check out the Pentrace Market Board at www.newpentrace.com

I think in the $350 to $400 range, you ought to be able to find a MB 149 for yourself.

Thank you Mr. Dante and Wolverine1, I will check the market board on newpentrace also.

Regarding the size, I have held an uninked 149 and was strongly attracted by it's feeling and heft. Not to impress people, but I find the feeling amazing. So, is looking forward to find a good one for use.

By the way, how do I tell if a used pen is all original and do not have parts swapped or replaced? Are there any special things I need to look out for?

Hi Zaphod,

That is good point, do you have any online store that you would recommend? Or a good physical store in the LA county area of California? I would like to take a look and do some research.

Thank you,

David

I have bought quite a few used Montblancs from Ed over at Fountain Pen Hospital in NYC. I do not live anywhere near NYC and either use the website or call in and talk with Ed.

Thank you, I will check their website out also.

I already asked someone to look for the pen for me, so will wait a few weeks before I contact Ed.

I bought a used 149 for $200 or so (1991 model) on ebay 12 years (or so) ago, and sent it in to get made good as new for about the same amount in cost.

It was a fraction of the price of a new one and I like the 2-tone nib on that era's model and is still going great guns, so I am happy.

So, doubling that for ~10 years of inflation, would be 400 dollars in todays money. Not bad, for a used pen to keep place (or go slightly ahead) of inflation. And the enjoyment you had over the years.

Makes me wonder if the new 149 "limited" to 1000+ or unlimited editions will do as well...

• 2 weeks later...

David,

If you're in the greater Los Angeles area, you've got 3, or maybe more Montblanc boutiques that you can visit. The nice thing about that is that every boutique has a set of test pens (146s) with pretty much every nib that Montblanc makes, and they're all inked up and ready to go. So you can sit down with all these pens and write with every one of them until you find something you like. At least that will help you learn more about them. Just tell them that you're learning about fountain pens and wanted to try the Montblanc. Also, in mid-February, there is the Los Angeles International Pen Show at the Manhattan Beach Marriott. It's worth going to. It's a huge pen show with lots of vintage Montblancs (and others both new and old)), inks, paper, and many other pens from just about every company that's ever made or sold pens. It's a 3 day event that's not to be missed and the people you'll meet there are the nicest and most knowledgeable folks you might ever chance to meet.

Ed

Hi Zaphod,

That is good point, do you have any online store that you would recommend? Or a good physical store in the LA county area of California? I would like to take a look and do some research.

Thank you,

David

Hi Ed,

Thank you for the suggestion. I experimented with some of my friend's fountain pens, and decided on a B or BB. It will make a nice signature pen even if I decide to stop at one.

After considering the pros and cons from reading the threads, past and current available on ebay, 4-5 vintage sites and the suggestions I received...

I went ahead and purchased a new 90th 149 and have the nib replaced with a BB. I think this pen gives me the best trade off. Although... the wait of 5-6 weeks is kind of killing me.

David

Edited by dave999

Hi Ed,

Thank you for the suggestion. I experimented with some of my friend's fountain pens, and decided on a B or BB. It will make a nice signature pen even if I decide to stop at one.

After considering the pros and cons from reading the threads, past and current available on ebay, 4-5 vintage sites and the suggestions I received...

I went ahead and purchased a new 90th 149 and have the nib replaced with a BB. I think this pen gives me the best trade off. Although... the wait of 5-6 weeks is kind of killing me.

David

Very good...

Enjoy!!!!

Thank you, Nathan and Torstar. I am quite excited :D , once it arrives I will post a photo of it with a couple of Florence MB cases I bought recently.

Right now, I have the inks, the pen cases... :lticaptd: but no pen yet...