Nothing Seems To Fit My Phileas. A Bit Of Help Please.

markinlondon

I've had a Waterman Philieas for many years, but only recently began using it again. It's been my spare book bag pen, and isn't used very often. I've always known that international standard cartridges are too wide to fit inside the body, so I was limited to long Waterman cartridges and their simple colour selection. But now that the cartridge has run dry, it seems as though the newer Waterman cartridges are too long; the Int'l shorties are too wide; and even the converters I have are too wide.

What fits?!?! and where in the UK can I find whatever that is? I've given up on the notion that there is a wide variety of ink available in cartridges that will fit it, but now it seems as though finding anything is difficult.

Any advice?

• Replies 18
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• markinlondon

• snowbear

• Chrissy

• graystranger

I've had a Waterman Philieas for many years, but only recently began using it again. It's been my spare book bag pen, and isn't used very often. I've always known that international standard cartridges are too wide to fit inside the body, so I was limited to long Waterman cartridges and their simple colour selection. But now that the cartridge has run dry, it seems as though the newer Waterman cartridges are too long; the Int'l shorties are too wide; and even the converters I have are too wide.

What fits?!?! and where in the UK can I find whatever that is? I've given up on the notion that there is a wide variety of ink available in cartridges that will fit it, but now it seems as though finding anything is difficult.

Any advice?

If you still have the old empty cartridges you can refill them using ink from a bottle. Just use a blunt end syringe to clean and refill the cartridge with whatever ink you want and you are good to go.

<p>Currently collection:<strong>Lamy Safari's</strong> x5, <strong>Lamy Al Star's</strong> x3, <strong>Lamy Studio's </strong>x2, A <strong>Lamy 2000</strong>, <strong>Kaweco Sports/AL Sports</strong> x7, <strong>Noodlers pens (Konrad and Ahab)</strong> x10, <strong>Noodlers Konrad Ebonite</strong> x2, <strong>Hero 616</strong> x10, <strong>Reform 1745</strong> x10, <strong>Sailor 1911m</strong> x2, <strong>Sailor 1911 Realo</strong> x3, <strong>Sailor Pro Gear Realo</strong> x2, <strong>Sailor Pro Gear Imperial Black</strong>, <strong>Sailor 1911 Sterling Silver</strong>, <strong>Visconti Opera Club Cherry Juice</strong> (M <span>Dreamtouch</span> Nib), <strong>Visconti Opera Elements </strong>x3 (Amber and Black with M <span>Dreamtouch</span> Nib, Blue with M Gold Nib), <strong>Visconti Homo Sapiens Steel Age Maxi</strong>, <strong>Visconti Homo Sapiens Bronze Age</strong>, <strong>Montblanc 146 Le Grande</strong>... Plus I am sure I have forgotten some.

I have no empties, nor am I sure that would go to such lengths.

Does anyone use these anymore? I'm just looking for a cartridge recommendation.

Thanks,

m

I have a couple (Waterman black) that work fine. The box is labeled "Large Size Standard Cartridges" and the cartridge length appears to be 72mm overall.

Edited by cmwrenn3

I have a couple (Waterman black) that work fine. The box is labeled "Large Size Standard Cartridges" and the cartridge length appears to be 72mm overall.

I'm reasonably sure that these are the cartridges I just tried. Is there any reason to think that these cartridges have changed shape?

I don't know for sure; I've had these for a couple of months,

Have you checked to make sure there is nothing inside the pen that's causing the obstruction?

edit:added photo

Edited by cmwrenn3

Strange subject..Waterman have not changed cartridges size for years...maybe...something wrong with tour Phileas...

Regards

As far as I know Waterman cartridges are the same size as they have always been. I have several Phileas pens and current standard Waterman cartridges as well as Waterman converters fit them all.

I think maybe part of a cartridge may still be inside your pen or something. If you have Waterman cartridges then they should fit all Phileas pens

there are "generic" cartridges available which have been manufactured to the shape of waterman cartridges and are described as fitting for waterman pens. i have no true vintage waterman pens, but my four pens represent the '70s, '80s, '90s, and '00s, and all accept current cartridges as well as those from their respective eras.

I bought a box of Waterman long cartridges from Levenger a few months ago, and they work fine in my Phileas. I can't imagine these are very old cartridges, so I find it a little surprising that Waterman cartridges won't fit your Phileas. Maybe like others said, there's something stuck inside your pen or something similar that's causing the problem? I've never used anything but Waterman long cartridges in my Phileas so far, not even the Waterman converter it came with, so I can't suggest anything else from first-hand experience. Hopefully you can figure out a solution though, because the Phileas is a rather nice pen. Good luck.

Are Waterman cartridges the only ones that fit?

Yes. No other branded cartridges fit Waterman pens.

I suggest you check Amazon.co.uk for Waterman cartridges or converters. They are all the same size

Someone posted here once that the Waterman Phileas has a brass piece inside the barrel (for balance or something) and suggested removing it so the fatter short cartridges would fit inside. Perhaps the brass piece has become dislodged. Check with a flashlight. Modify at your own risk.

https://www.fountainpennetwork.com/forum/index.php/topic/204642-waterman-phileas-and-short-international-cartridges/

For reasons that defy imagination, the cartridges from a new box of Waterman ink fit my pen, just as they always have. Why the others I had lying around (which I assume were also Watermans) don't fit are beyond me.

Thank you all for your help and advice. This was very frustrating, and ultimately only required a walk to the WH Smith's. Again, thank you,

m

I wonder if those cartridges you had lying around were long international cartridges, not Waterman. I think they are similar in length. I have not used any of the long international cartridges for a very long time (since 1997), but I think I still have a couple around somewhere.

I also have some old Parker cartridges that are of similar length too, but I don't really remember what they look like it has been so many years since I used the very inexpensive Parker fountain pen I bought some 20 years ago. I just suspect that those cartridges you had were not made by Waterman.

Eschew Sesquipedalian Obfuscation

Waterman pens take Waterman cartridges. Waterman "Standard" cartridges are Waterman cartridges. "International Standard Cartridges" are something else. Waterman cartridges should fit the Phileas, unless the pen has been damaged by trying to use the wrong cartridges.

Have the pen examined by a repair shop.

Auf freiem Grund mit freiem Volke stehn.
Zum Augenblicke dürft ich sagen:
Verweile doch, du bist so schön !

I am using a Pelikan Edelstein Long and it fits well though it's about a half mm long. No leaks. And I can use my preferred inks by refilling and reusing the cartridge. For that flexibility, I go to those lengths.

http://img525.imageshack.us/img525/606/letterji9.png

I have never let my schooling interfere with my education.

Mark Twain

I am using a Pelikan Edelstein Long and it fits well though it's about a half mm long. No leaks. And I can use my preferred inks by refilling and reusing the cartridge. For that flexibility, I go to those lengths.

Love this :)

While I'm also a bit picky about inks, I save that for my daily user, a hand-turned wooden monster of a pen that turns heads at meetings. The Phileas (or an old '51) is my backup.