• KBeezie

• penmanila

• jar

• Bklyn

Top Posters In This Topic

Then there is also this:

http://www.fototime.com/7050C44CE2CBB98/large.jpg

http://www.fototime.com/AD57F8863417085/large.jpg

... which is neither ebonite or acrylic.

My Website

Ebonite rocks! Acrylics can have stunning looks but ebonite has this amazing, warm feel. That;s why I keep back to using Gama Airbornes. The indian nibs aren't really good, but the feel of the pen in the hand is great.

ASA pens and even ranga pens give you option of Schmidt, Bock, and JoWo nibs now...

vaibhav mehandiratta

architect & fountain pen connoisseur

blog | instagram | twitter

Then there is also this:

Hmm...

Don't keep me in suspense,...what's this material.

*Sailor 1911S, Black/gold, 14k. 0.8 mm. stub(JM) *1911S blue "Colours", 14k. H-B "M" BLS (PB)

*2 Sailor 1911S Burgundy/gold: 14k. 0.6 mm. "round-nosed" CI (MM) & 14k. 1.1 mm. CI (JM)

*Sailor Pro-Gear Slim Spec. Ed. "Fire",14k. (factory) "H-B"

*Kaweco SPECIAL FP: 14k. "B",-0.6 mm BLS & 14k."M" 0.4 mm. BLS (PB)

*Kaweco Stainless Steel Lilliput, 14k. "M" -0.7 mm.BLS, (PB)

Then there is also this:

Stunning

Anyone like Ray Bradbury? Please read "The Laurel and Hardy Love Affair" if you have about 12 minutes.

You will not forget this wonderful gem that is largely obscure and sadly, forgotten. http://bit.ly/1DZtL4g

Just beautiful.

Does it have a fragrance of camphor or is it of cinnamon?

*Sailor 1911S, Black/gold, 14k. 0.8 mm. stub(JM) *1911S blue "Colours", 14k. H-B "M" BLS (PB)

*2 Sailor 1911S Burgundy/gold: 14k. 0.6 mm. "round-nosed" CI (MM) & 14k. 1.1 mm. CI (JM)

*Sailor Pro-Gear Slim Spec. Ed. "Fire",14k. (factory) "H-B"

*Kaweco SPECIAL FP: 14k. "B",-0.6 mm BLS & 14k."M" 0.4 mm. BLS (PB)

*Kaweco Stainless Steel Lilliput, 14k. "M" -0.7 mm.BLS, (PB)

Why pick between the two? Get a bunch of both (and a few celluloids too).

After 30+ ebonites and and equal number of acrylics, I still am searching for the answer... :-)

A lifelong FP user...

I own a Platinum 3776 in Celluloid, midnight ocean blue, and it is incredibly beautiful with amazing depth and color. And it feels incredible, too. I've read here that people say that celluloid is "greasy" but I don't like that description. To me it has a negative connotation. I would say that it is smooth like glass or polished marble, but without the hardness and coldness of those materials. It is cool in the hand, but not a hard coldness, if that makes any sense. It's like wood in terms of heat transfer (OK, well, not quite as warm), but like smooth glass or stone in terms of feel. But my favorite thing about celluloid is the smell of it!

I also just got a Nakaya Neo Standard ebonite pen in the matte black finish, and I'm not sure if that would be better termed an urushi finish pen or an ebonite pen or both. I mean, it IS both, but anyway, it's way better than acrylic pens! (As is celluloid). Like not just a little, but a whole lot. Of course, it is personal preference, and I also love the feel of my TWSBI Vac700's which have a wonderful hard coating over the polycarbonate plastic, but, oh yeah, there is something really special about celluloid and ebonite.

Acrylic seems to have a higher specific heat than ebonite, so it feels colder at first when you pick it up. During longer writing sessions when the air it not too cold acrylic will warm up and feel just as warm as ebonite.

Ebonite also seems to be less dense than ebonite, so the same pen design will feel lighter in ebonite than acrylic.

I have yet to see a modern ebonite pen that is as shiny as the modern acrylics that I've purchased. I don't know if that's really a thing or just an artifact of paying 3-5x as much for American acrylics vs Indian ebonites.

I'm still hoping to get a truly stunning translucent acrylic pen, but just judging by the feel in my hand I like ebonite better.

I just jumped in on https://www.fountainpennetwork.com/forum/topic/294355-ranga-model-4c-regular-ebonite-premium-ebonite-group-buy/ to get another ebonite pen. I've got black, red/black, khaki/black and green/black ebonite. This time I'll get blue/black and hope it's as richly colored as the pictures.

if you're a woodgrain lover like i am, there's nothing like ebonite to convey the texture. here's a CS marlborough LE in ebonite:

8469182635_cbafcb3a7b_c.jpg

and a bexley "duofold" in ebonite:

9310981903_89e416eeb4_c.jpg

heck, let's take the whole vintage lot:

3015464596_13e02e4004_z.jpg

Check out my blog and my pens

I enjoy all three materials but the ebonite and celluloid have a warmth to them that the acrylics do not. I would also encourage anyone wanting to try an ebonite pen to get in on the Ranga 4C group buy going on now. Many great color choices for very reasonable prices...and with a good selection of JoWo nibs.

if you're a woodgrain lover like i am, there's nothing like ebonite to convey the texture. here's a CS marlborough LE in ebonite:

8469182635_cbafcb3a7b_c.jpg

and a bexley "duofold" in ebonite:

9310981903_89e416eeb4_c.jpg

heck, let's take the whole vintage lot:

3015464596_13e02e4004_z.jpg

That is beautiful! That pen case has some lovely pens, I like those vintage style clips. Coule you please share more pictures of the rest in the set?

Thanks but sadly there's not a whole lot more because I just sold off almost 30 pens last weekend, including some nice woodgrains.

Edited by penmanila

Check out my blog and my pens

• 2 weeks later...

As the others have said, ebonite seems to absorb heat from your hands, thus it feels warmer in the hand when writing. I have quite a few Ranga ebonite pens, and really like them.

The "negatives" of ebonite, when compared to acrylic plastics, are that ebonite does not have the "depth" to its colors. There are no "sparklies" buried in the ebonite. It is a more conservative finish. Also, some of the ebonite materials can lose their surface "shine" more rapidly than acrylics, and they can scratch a bit more easily. I don't have any problem with these issues, though, as they give my pens "character." You could also, however, re-polish the ebonite, as the material is homologous (the same material all through the thickness).

Ebonite pen barrels often are made with greater wall thickness, and thus may be heavier. Most of mine are, but to me that just gives them the feeling of being substantial.

Given the choice of the same pen in acrylic or ebonite, I almost always go with the ebonite.

Great information. thanks

Anyone like Ray Bradbury? Please read "The Laurel and Hardy Love Affair" if you have about 12 minutes.

You will not forget this wonderful gem that is largely obscure and sadly, forgotten. http://bit.ly/1DZtL4g

Ebonite is by far my favourite pen material. Over the last few months I have been able to purge my collection down to my flock of Pelikans and my ebonite pens, with a handful of acrylic options.

I write for long periods of time most days of the week, so how a pen feels in my hand is really important to me. Acrylics feel too cold and then too hot and sticky in my experience. Ebonites achieve a gentle warmth, just like an extension of my hand.

I prefer acrylics.

Ebonite for sure feels warmer and softer, but it smells (some more, some less; some like it, some don't) and after a day with an ebonite pen my hands also smell like ebonite. And you have to take a bit more care, because it can decolorize easier.

Well, most money I've spent on ebonite pens though.

Greetings,

Michael