The Fountain Pen Network uses (functional) cookies. Read the FPN Privacy Policy for more info.  To remove this message, please click here to accept the use of cookies

Registration on the Fountain Pen Network

Dearest Visitor of the little Fountain Pen Nut house on the digital prairie,

Due to the enormous influx of spammers, it is no longer possible to handle valditions in the traditional way. For registrations we therefore kindly and respectfully request you to send an email with your request to our especially created email address. This email address is register at fountainpennetwork dot com. Please include your desired user name, and after validation we will send you a return email containing the validation key, normally wiithin a week.

Thank you very much in advance!
The FPN Admin Team

Photo

Transparent Celluloid Ambering

1930scelluloid vacumatic inkvue nozac

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 SilverPearlVacumatic

SilverPearlVacumatic

Near Mint

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPip
  • 31 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 25 July 2015 - 17:35

Hello Everyone,

Does anyone know or have any idea what causes transparent celluloid to amber?  I previously figured it was a combination of ink stains and sunlight damage, but I noticed even the plastic plungers of some Parker vacumatics are more ambered than others, despite being sheilded from sunlight and protected from ink equally.

Sponsored Content

#2 Pickwick

Pickwick

Pickwick

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,931 posts

Posted 25 July 2015 - 19:00

Unfortunately it comes with aging. I'm unsure whether any restoration can be done. Other members may be able to pass on to you their own experiences.

Edited by Pickwick, 25 July 2015 - 19:00.

They came as a boon, and a blessing to men,
The Pickwick, the Owl and the Waverley pen

Sincerely yours,

Pickwick

#3 SilverPearlVacumatic

SilverPearlVacumatic

Near Mint

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPip
  • 31 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 25 July 2015 - 21:20

It would be interesting to know if some environments age the plastic more than others or if there are just some bad batches.  It is interesting to note that black vacumatics have better transparency. 

#4 pen2paper

pen2paper

arty o the irst art

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,966 posts

Posted 26 July 2015 - 01:41

till the experts arrive edit: which they are, so exit stage left...

Basically early plastic plus metal requires reasonable care.

Edited by pen2paper, 26 July 2015 - 12:38.

emoticon-animal-007.gif~Hi! fountain pen enthusiast here~

#5 ac12

ac12

Museum Piece

• Member - Gold

• 9,535 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 26 July 2015 - 01:44

Also outgasing from ink sacs.  I've seen a LOT of older pens where the cap is nice, but the body around the ink sac has darkened considerably.

San Francisco Pen Show - August 28-30, 2020 - Redwood City, California

www.SFPenShow.com

#6 pen2paper

pen2paper

arty o the irst art

• Member - Gold

• 5,966 posts

Posted 26 July 2015 - 01:48

p2p, (ever the student), has been corrected (thanks with cheerful smile), so read on below.

Edited by pen2paper, 26 July 2015 - 12:41.

emoticon-animal-007.gif~Hi! fountain pen enthusiast here~

#7 FarmBoy

FarmBoy

Brain freeze, mmm... got pens?

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,202 posts

Posted 26 July 2015 - 03:19

ac12 I immediately thought the same thing, but realized we were discussing a Parker Vac. Which, sort of goes past the rubber outgassing issue? Correct? That's why I posted, it seemed pertinent to the no sac involvement issue??? Vacs are not my specialty, is there rubber used with a Vac?

A sac in a vac is the same material as a sac in a not vac.

San Francisco International Pen Show - They have dates! August 23-24-25, 2019 AND August 28-29-30, 2020. Book your travel and tables now! My PM box is usually full. Just email me: my last name at the google mail address.

#8 SilverPearlVacumatic

SilverPearlVacumatic

Near Mint

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPip
  • 31 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 26 July 2015 - 05:24

Often the back end of a vacumatic (where the diaphragm is), is the last place to amber completely.  Would the ambering patterns lead us to conclude temperature swings affect it greatly (everything on a single pen affected at a constant rate) and contact with rubber is a major variable?

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: 1930scelluloid, vacumatic, inkvue, nozac

Sponsored Content

|