First Montblanc?

Calabria

There are probably some other threads on this topic, but what advice would you have for a Montblanc neophyte?

Up until now I've concentrated on OMAS, Aurora, Pelikan and Sailor. Any pointers are appreciated!

"If you can spend a perfectly useless afternoon in a perfectly useless manner, you have learned how to live."

– Lin Yu-T'ang

• Replies 16
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Frank C

• Calabria

• rustynib

• Keyless Works

Top Posters In This Topic

When buying your first, see jar's tip of the day. Once you like your first, be prepared to buy more.

If you buy a Montblanc and like it (which you will), you will end up owning a 149. But, I would not go for this first, start with a 146/LeGrand to allow you to appreciate the quality and useability of the fountain pen. Then, when you later buy a 149, you will appreciate it so much more.

There are probably some other threads on this topic, but what advice would you have for a Montblanc neophyte?

Up until now I've concentrated on OMAS, Aurora, Pelikan and Sailor. Any pointers are appreciated!

There's no need to buy new, 146 and 149 can be had cheaper than MSRP, If you get a pen with micro-scratches all over you might be more likely to use it and take it out than if you get a brand new with 0 scratches one since you'll be afraid of scratching it. but if you already have expensive pens in those brands you say, that might not be an issue at all.

Montblanc makes a lot of different models and are available at their stores/retail and a lot more can be had second hand as well.

146 is the quintessential pen to get. If you decide that MB is to your liking then the 149 is the next one.

Buy here from a known seller.

"how do I know what I think until I write it down?"

I am in the same boat! I am going to stop by a pen store early next month to check them out.

The paragraphs below represent my personal views, primarily because I am not a pen aficionado.

Regarding buying used. Through reading a lot of threads on FPN, watching YouTube videos, reading blogs, etc., I've come to understand that a lot of people work on their nibs to make them suitable for their writing style. I would, therefore, be very cautious about getting a nib that works great for one person but doesn't work for me. I am too new to buy used with confidence.

Having warranty is no small thing for me. I understand you can send your pen in for nib exchange if need be. Those are benefits that, for me, personally, are worth the premium. It will be a huge expense, but I only have one good pen and 2 throwaways, so I am not super deep into collecting pens. Once in a lifetime, this kind of expense can be justified. I hope!

If you go to a Montblanc Boutique, they will have demonstrators with all their nibs. You can try them to see what you like. You can also compare the sizes. They are very nice pens, among my favorites.

"One can not waste time worrying about small minds . . . If we were normal, we'd still be using free ball point pens." —Bo Bo Olson

"I already own more ink than a rational person can use in a lifetime." —Waski_the_Squirrel

I'm still trying to figure out how to list all my pens down here.

My first was a 146, and a couple of hours later I bought the 149. I fully intended the 149 to be my first MB but I couldn't pass up an unused 146 Bordeaux here in the classifieds with the matching leather case (I don't remember the name of it now, might be Sienna). A couple of hours later I saw that one of the known retailers online was having a sale and ended up placing an order for the 149 in OBB.

I had played with these pens before though and I knew exactly what I was going to get. My uncle is an avid pen user and he has several 146s and 149s. I knew I loved the girth of the 149 and I liked the 146 good enough in black. I'm in love with the bordeaux one though.

You could also look for vintage MBs. Not the celluloid ones as they are quite pricey but if you can swing it a celluloid 149/146 is something else entirely. I would love to own one of them some day. But you can have one of the 12, 14, 22, 24, 32, 34 and 220 for a nice price. I was actually obsessed with the 220 and the 14 and recently bought them both. They are very lovely pens, although I find that I prefer the 220 over the 14. Keep an eye on the bay for these from reputable sellers.

Just keep in mind that you will likely buy more MBs in the future. They really are great pens.

I started with a Starwalker Midnight Black Rollerball / Fineliner, followed by the matching Ballpoint. My third Montblanc - and my first MB fountain pen - was a "New Old Stock" 149 with EF nib, which I bought here in the "Classifieds". Great choice. :)

Thanks for all these insights. I like EF nibs and they're hard to come by used - so I was wondering whether the boutique would be my best option (I find the stores slightly off putting, maybe because I'm a writer and collector and the boutiques look like perfume or jewelry stores).

I'm definitely looking at 146, and just was thinking, has the quality changed at all in recent years? Not an eBay fan when it comes to pens, but maybe that would be better if I could get a slightly older, more solid pen?

I just don't know much about the brand, but my experience with OMAS has shown that the year of the make can be critical, especially when putting down quite a bit of cash.

"If you can spend a perfectly useless afternoon in a perfectly useless manner, you have learned how to live."

– Lin Yu-T'ang

Thanks for all these insights. I like EF nibs and they're hard to come by used - so I was wondering whether the boutique would be my best option (I find the stores slightly off putting, maybe because I'm a writer and collector and the boutiques look like perfume or jewelry stores).

I'm definitely looking at 146, and just was thinking, has the quality changed at all in recent years? Not an eBay fan when it comes to pens, but maybe that would be better if I could get a slightly older, more solid pen?

I just don't know much about the brand, but my experience with OMAS has shown that the year of the make can be critical, especially when putting down quite a bit of cash.

If you buy the pen new, Montblanc will allow you to exchange the nib for six weeks after purchase:

http://www.montblanc.com/en-us/customer-service/product-life-and-care/writing-instruments.html

As for "older, more solid pen", Montblanc constantly updates pens. They switched from plastic to brass threads in about 1990 for the piston. The plastic threads worked well, unless you let the ink dry up in the pen, then they were prone to shear off when force was used to move the piston. For my tastes, I prefer the 14K nib, the ebonite feed and brass threads. Montblanc never put all three together, though.

http://www.fpn-p.org/showthread.php?tid=1220

"One can not waste time worrying about small minds . . . If we were normal, we'd still be using free ball point pens." —Bo Bo Olson

"I already own more ink than a rational person can use in a lifetime." —Waski_the_Squirrel

I'm still trying to figure out how to list all my pens down here.

I would go for a modern 146 with brass threads. Or failing that, if you travel and like using cartridges, a 147 traveller is about the same size and is also a very nice pen.

There's no need to buy new, 146 and 149 can be had cheaper than MSRP, If you get a pen with micro-scratches all over you might be more likely to use it and take it out than if you get a brand new with 0 scratches one since you'll be afraid of scratching it.

Agreed. I got my 2-year old 149 at half the price of a brand new one. It is my first Montblanc and first expensive pen and I am tempted to buy more when wallet allows. There are several micro-scratches on the body but that's how normal 'pens' are used. I am tempted to polish it a little bit though. The polish kits bought online should arrive in a few weeks.

Montblanc POA Pavarotti 422 of 4810 | WE Dumas (son) 522 of 20000 | Meisterstuck 149

Lots of Montblanc and Diamine Ink
Gold 12-inch Apple Retina MacBook

I agree that a second hand 146 is the best place to start. Regarding quality, I have owned ones from the 50s 70s 90s and present day (bought a new 146 solitaire a few weeks ago) and they are all of excellent quality...they don't call it a masterpiece for nothing.

I would personally opt for a newer pen unless you don't like modern nibs. The 146s from the 50s have bigger more beautiful and softer nibs as well as a fancier filling system BUT these are harder to buy (good examples that is) and service.

I would go to a MB boutique and handle the current 146. If that feels too heavy then go for a bit older model with plastic threads.

Mine first MB it was a 324 and it was not a good pen.

I first good MB, i best MB, it is a 234 1/2 with a fine gold nib .

The price of the pen set me out of 90 Euros ...

rusty