The Fountain Pen Network uses (functional) cookies. Read the FPN Privacy Policy for more info.  To remove this message, please click here to accept the use of cookies

Registration on the Fountain Pen Network

Dearest Visitor of the little Fountain Pen Nut house on the digital prairie,

Due to the enormous influx of spammers, it is no longer possible to handle valditions in the traditional way. For registrations we therefore kindly and respectfully request you to send an email with your request to our especially created email address. This email address is register at fountainpennetwork dot com. Please include your desired user name, and after validation we will send you a return email containing the validation key, normally wiithin a week.

Thank you very much in advance!
The FPN Admin Team

Photo

Information Needed About A Soennecken 810 Eye Dropper Safety Pen

soennecken eye dropper safety pen

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 radconsta

radconsta

Near Mint

• Member - Silver

• PipPipPip
  • 27 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 24 July 2015 - 22:15

Hello,
I just acquired and restored a safety pen. Although I now know what it is made of, important questions still remain, so I was wondering if anybody knows more about the pen. I am not even sure I know how to fill it correctly, although I did manage to fill it. It fills through the end that the nib is also coming out from. Can I turn it upside down when the nib is in or I'll have all the ink on my hands? Is there a certain technique to fill it? There is a hollow screw that is supposed to keep it in place, which is now loose inside the pen as I can't figure out how to screw it with the insides of the pen in... (Don't worry, the grommet is holding everything in place!)
Please help, if you can. I absolutely love the pen, and the nib is the most incredible flex I have ever seen! It is an EF, according to the inscription, but it is much thinner than that, and I can flex it at least eight times the size of the fine line, without ever seeing any railroading.

Attached Images

• image.jpg
  • image.jpg
  • image.jpg
  • image.jpg

Rad from Alabama_________________________

Sponsored Content

#2 Mr.Rene

Mr.Rene

Antique

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,611 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 24 July 2015 - 23:07

Nice.. It seems to be a Soennecken pen, a germany brand , Lucky you ...Regards.

#3 Cob

Cob

Antique

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,774 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 25 July 2015 - 16:02

A rare prize I should say.

Filling a safety is straightforward: use an eye-dropper or syringe as you say with the nib retracted.  If you invert the pen retracted you will have ink everywhere; the cap of course retains the ink. 

I'm afraid I do not know what you mean about the loose screw, nor the "grommet"  I have rebuilt a few - Waterman's, Whytewarth and a Gold Starry, but have no knowledge of Soennecken's safeties.

When you write with the pen, does the nib stay in place?

Cob

Edited by Cob, 25 July 2015 - 16:03.

fpn_1428963683__6s.jpg “The pen of the British Empire” fpn_1423349537__swan_sign_is.jpg

#4 Azuniga

Azuniga

Vintage

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 757 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 25 July 2015 - 17:10

I wondered why I did not understand what radconsta meant by "the loose screw" and the "grommet" I am glad I was not the only one...

Cob if you have rebuilt a Waterman, most probably the most difficult Safety to repair, you could work on a Soennecken pretty easy...

I do not go as far as repairing, I just write with them and I have several Soennecken Safeties in different sizes, they are among the best and the safer Safeties to write with, I should say I have traveled with one of mine on the plane although it is not what should be done... The important part is the cork but that comes later when the right question asked by Cob is answered.

When you write with the pen, does the nib stay in place?

#5 radconsta

radconsta

Near Mint

• Member - Silver

• PipPipPip
  • 27 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 27 July 2015 - 04:25

Thank you for your replies. And sorry for my not being clear before.
I replaced the cork with a rubber grommet from Tractor Supply. All I needed to do was to rub the inside hole to make it wider - that allowed me to perfectly adjust the outside diameter to fit the body of the pen. In fact, that is what is holding now the pen in place. (And its nib). That hollow screw that I referred to has an outside thread, which screws in the barrel of the pen. The height of the screw is about 5mm. It's inner hole accommodates the shaft in between the cap at the other end of the pen (where the cork was) and the spiral that advances the nib. As the shaft and the spiral are connected and secured with a pin, I can't figure out how to turn the said screw so that I don't have to rely just on the grommet to hold the nib in place. Any ideas, Cob?
Thank you

Edited by radconsta, 28 July 2015 - 00:13.

#6 RMN

RMN

Ancient Artifact

• FPN Super Moderators

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,191 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 12 August 2015 - 22:03

Grommet = washer

D.ick

~

KEEP SAFE, KEEP INSIDE, KEEP A DISTANCE.

Freedom exists by virtue of self limitation.

~

#7 Cepasaccus

Cepasaccus

Vintage

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 755 posts

Posted 14 August 2015 - 13:40

I have here a drawing of the rear parts of German safeties:

http://www.penexchan...ungskapseln.png

I believe the Soennecken are of type 2. The only thing preventing the retraction of the nib is the ping washer.

And I have to say of all the safeties, the Waterman's safeties are the easiest to repair.

Cepasaccus

#8 radconsta

radconsta

Near Mint

• Member - Silver

• PipPipPip
  • 27 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 22 August 2015 - 05:41

Thank you all - I figured it out: the cap comes off by pushing a transversal pin, than I will be able to see the short screw, than put the cap back.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: soennecken, eye dropper, safety pen

Sponsored Content

|