The Fountain Pen Network uses (functional) cookies. Read the FPN Privacy Policy for more info.  To remove this message, please click here to accept the use of cookies

Photo

Ammonia Soak For Modern Montegrappa Celluloid

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Accidental Rorschach

Accidental Rorschach

NOS (New Old Stock)

• Member - Silver

• PipPip
  • 11 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 22 July 2015 - 23:22

Hi folks, 

In my continued attempt to remove ink staining (some kind of uber-permanent variety) from the inside of my Montegrappa Symphony, I've moved up to soaking in Ammonia.  I don't really know what I'm doing though, so would appreciate some tips.  Beyond any general guidance, I'd be grateful if you could help me with these specific points:

- I hear people talk about 10% ammonia.  Is this 10% household ammonia solution, or 10% household ammonia to 90% water (as in about 1% actual ammonia)?

- How long would you say it's safe to soak?

- Is it worth me putting the pen and ammonia in an ultrasonic cleaner, in the hope of speeding up the cleaning and thus having the pen exposed to the ammonia for less long?

Many thanks,

Tom

Sponsored Content

#2 Sasha Royale

Sasha Royale

Ancient Artifact

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,444 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 22 July 2015 - 23:40

10% household ammonia to 90% water 

is the correct solution.  A mild detergent quality is desirable for short-term contact.  Avoid stronger concentrations and prolong contact.  Ammonia is pretty harsh stuff.  I might fill and expel a dozen times, then rinse thoroughly.  I would be very timid about "soaking".  

CAUTION  !     Stay far from chlorine (bleach), when using ammonia.  The combined fumes are highly TOXIC.  

Auf freiem Grund mit freiem Volke stehn. 
Zum Augenblicke dürft ich sagen: 
Verweile doch, du bist so schön ! 

#3 Algester

Algester

(´Д⊂ヽ

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,741 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 26 July 2015 - 08:37

hmm I'm hesitant to say about celluloid material exposed to ammonia (hear say its not a good idea)... you may have to ask the experts///

#4 mhosea

mhosea

Antique

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,182 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 26 July 2015 - 20:42

Celluloid in ammonia is fine, but I'm not all that keen on long-term soaks in anything, usually.  Have you tried Rapido-Eze?  Have you tried swabbing the area directly?  Some stains are a residue that is easier to wipe off than dissolve in anything (that is safe to use).  I use an ultrasonic cleaner most of the time.

Edited by mhosea, 26 July 2015 - 20:56.

I know my id is "mhosea", but you can call me Mike. It's an old Unix thing.

Sponsored Content

|