Day Trip To Andy's

tkmorrison

Hi all,

I'll be in London the first week of August, based in South Kensington but will travel for pens. I didn't want to be an irritant about asking a question that had likely been posed dozens of times, so I searched previous "where to go in London" threads and was surprised to find that there are few if any places where I might be able to eyeball vintage British pens. (Both of my Saturdays will be travel days; the pen-speciality stalls in Portobello Market are otherwise closed, yes?)

What I have gathered is that Andy's Pens is perhaps worth a visit given the time. I believe I have my wife on board with a pleasant train ride to Kent to visit Tonbridge Castle, followed by some time in the shop and lunch. Not necessarily in that order.

So I believe I have two questions. (1) In a similar situation, would you find a visit to Andy's worth the day trip? and (2) Have miraculous changes occurred in London proper that have spawned upstart vintage pen shops since the last such thread (2013-ish)? (I'm largely interested in seeing British heritage brands I'm less likely to have hands-on access to in Southern California.)

Thanks for your time!

• Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• tkmorrison

• northlodge

• Beechwood

• missuslovett

Ahh.

Andy's pens is a small shop: https://www.google.co.uk/maps/@51.19834,0.280226,3a,75y,97.84h,90t/data=!3m7!1e1!3m5!1ssC8dRF28eXERVlw8Cs_65A!2e0!6s%2F%2Fgeo2.ggpht.com%2Fcbk%3Fpanoid%3DsC8dRF28eXERVlw8Cs_65A%26output%3Dthumbnail%26cb_client%3Dmaps_sv.tactile.gps%26thumb%3D2%26w%3D100%26h%3D80%26yaw%3D102.39312%26pitch%3D0!7i13312!8i6656?hl=en

The main sales room is about 14ft square, and Andy is a big man (a squat 6ft3in) who looms rather like a protective father over his children. He is knowledgeable, but I got the distinct impression I bored him, and after 20 minutes I was relieved to get out. Maybe it was a bad day.

I live 30 miles away, and I may go back one day. But possibly not.

Regards,

Richard

I have only ever been an online customer(as with all purchases....agoraphobia) with Andy, but going by those experiences, he has been a wonderful source of lots if pens, plus extremely helpful and goes out of his way to deliver wonderful customer service, so, if I had a chance to visit, I'd definitely go.

Hope it's ok to say that....Im not related, or anything other than someone who has had the pleasure of being a frequent customer.

Enjoy your trip

Alex

"As many nights endure Without a moon or star So will we endure When one is gone and far "Leonard Cohen, of blessed memory(21/09/1934-7/11/2016)

There are a few options, but the truth is there is very little in the way of Quality "Vintage Pen" shops worth a visit:

My experience, which may be out of date, is limited to:

Burlington Arcade (close to Fortnum & Mason) - nice selection @ sky high prices

Dorking (Surrey) - one of the many antique shops carried a decent selection at sensible prices.

Indeed even looking further afield I can only think of a small number of other locations:

Oxford (possibly "Antiques on High") had a nice selection of boxed items

Wendover (Bucks) again one of the several antique shops had a good selection

uppingham (Leicestershire) - ditto above.

perhaps an approach might be to message a couple of those reputable ebay dealers who declare themselves as being London based, and seek a private viewing. (David Thal springs to mind).

edit: and to be clear I am not London based ;-)

Edited by northlodge

Ahh.

Andy's pens is a small shop: https://www.google.co.uk/maps/@51.19834,0.280226,3a,75y,97.84h,90t/data=!3m7!1e1!3m5!1ssC8dRF28eXERVlw8Cs_65A!2e0!6s%2F%2Fgeo2.ggpht.com%2Fcbk%3Fpanoid%3DsC8dRF28eXERVlw8Cs_65A%26output%3Dthumbnail%26cb_client%3Dmaps_sv.tactile.gps%26thumb%3D2%26w%3D100%26h%3D80%26yaw%3D102.39312%26pitch%3D0!7i13312!8i6656?hl=en

The main sales room is about 14ft square, and Andy is a big man (a squat 6ft3in) who looms rather like a protective father over his children. He is knowledgeable, but I got the distinct impression I bored him, and after 20 minutes I was relieved to get out. Maybe it was a bad day.

Regards,

Richard

Are his children well cared for, and will he let them go for a reasonable price to a good home?

I have only ever been an online customer(as with all purchases....agoraphobia) with Andy, but going by those experiences, he has been a wonderful source of lots if pens, plus extremely helpful and goes out of his way to deliver wonderful customer service, so, if I had a chance to visit, I'd definitely go.

Hope it's ok to say that....Im not related, or anything other than someone who has had the pleasure of being a frequent customer.

Enjoy your trip

Alex

Good to hear. Perhaps I should make my initial approach by phone to get the ball rolling in a friendly direction.

There are a few options, but the truth is there is very little in the way of Quality "Vintage Pen" shops worth a visit:

My experience, which may be out of date, is limited to:

Burlington Arcade (close to Fortnum & Mason) - nice selection @ sky high prices

Dorking (Surrey) - one of the many antique shops carried a decent selection at sensible prices.

Indeed even looking further afield I can only think of a small number of other locations:

Oxford (possibly "Antiques on High") had a nice selection of boxed items

Wendover (Bucks) again one of the several antique shops had a good selection

uppingham (Leicestershire) - ditto above.

perhaps an approach might be to message a couple of those reputable ebay dealers who declare themselves as being London based, and seek a private viewing. (David Thal springs to mind).

edit: and to be clear I am not London based ;-)

Thanks you so much. You've mentioned a number of options here not covered in the other threads, so I'm glad I've asked. And I think your idea to contact online sellers based in London might really be key.

Are his children well cared for, and will he let them go for a reasonable price to a good home?

I bought a new Sailor KOP with a beautiful King Eagle nib from Andy at a price that really suited me - a lot of happy pens can fit in a small area - even fully grown ones!

Happiness isn't getting what you want, it's wanting what you've got.

Penfriend in Fleet Street just opposite the law courts is a great shop for modern and vintage pens http://www.penfriend.co.uk - same company as the shop in the Burlington Arcade but a much bigger store. Covent Garden is near too for some general sight seeing.

As northlodge mentioned above, the Penworkshop has displays and pens for sale at the antiques centres at Wendover and Boxmoor (Hemel Hempstead), both not too far from London, and have a good selection of vintage pens. See this link www.penworkshop.co.uk/index.php?_a=product&product_id=42

You could contact Paul Baker, at the Penworkshop via email first and explain about your visit. He's very helpful and I have successfully bought a few pens from him in the past.

Here's their website:

http://www.penworkshop.co.uk/index.php

Here's the email address:

penworkshop.info@gmail.com

Edited: to add phone number. 07803 702752

Edited by migo984

Verba volant, scripta manent

What ever you do - don't mention the cricket or the ashes..... :D

Nature is the one song of praise that never stops singing. - Richard Rohr

Poets don't draw. They unravel their handwriting and then tie it up again, but differently. - Jean Cocteau

Ο Θεός μ 'αγαπάς

Howzat? ;) (ducks for cover....)

Alex

"As many nights endure Without a moon or star So will we endure When one is gone and far "Leonard Cohen, of blessed memory(21/09/1934-7/11/2016)

You'll find me a refreshing U.S. citizen as I have no desire to involve myself in international matters that concern me not. B)

Penfriend in Fleet Street just opposite the law courts is a great shop for modern and vintage pens http://www.penfriend.co.uk - same company as the shop in the Burlington Arcade but a much bigger store. Covent Garden is near too for some general sight seeing.

So, do not be dissuaded by implications that their pens have been priced out of the reach of working folk?

I find the Penfriend in Fleet Street occasionally has some bargains; last time I visited they had some Delta at good discounts. More biased towards new pens for lawyers and bankers rather than vintage for collectors, and quite friendly. They do have some interesting vintage pens in the showcases.

Too many pens, too little time!

http://fountainpenlove.blogspot.fr/

Andy's Pens are well looked after, the prices are good. I was just trying to give my impression of my visit. It's good to see various ones in the flesh, but if you are on a visit from the US, I am not 100% convinced it's worth a precious full day unless you combine it with a trip to somewhere like Hever Castle, Ightem Moat or some other stately home.

Regards,

Richard.

Ahh.

Andy's pens is a small shop:

Regards,

Richard

I live about 15 miles away and have made several visits to Andy's shop. His stock is on line so you can see if there is anything you may be interested in.

I understand what Richard is saying about Andy, he does not have the best bedside manner but he is interested and knowledgeable and certainly stands by what he sells.

I bought an English Parker Duofold (1950s) from him at quite a modest price. It seemed fine until you had covered about an A5 side when ink flow stopped. In the end he replaced the feed, breather tube and (gold) nib. This probably cost him more than I paid in the first place but he never complained, just apologised for selling it in the first place and then taking a while to fix it.

I will be back again but there is not a lot more at Tonbridge. Make it a stop during a tour of the wonderful Kent countryside.

Martin

So, do not be dissuaded by implications that their pens have been priced out of the reach of working folk?

Whether or not you are to dissuaded is up to you. It's a central London shop so it certainly ain't going to be somewhere to go for that dust covered Esterbrook J for a quid. But it's got eye candy galore and if you are in the area it's worth a visit - if only to choose a nice ink (it's the only London shop I know that stocks Sailor inks - amongst many other brands).

I like Andy's shop too, by the way.

Enjoy your visit