What Nib Do You Like Best?

sinstral

With a wide assortment of nibs to inchange with. What nib do you like the most?

For myself it is the 2314 Stub Relief nib.

Edited by sinstral

http://img525.imageshack.us/img525/606/letterji9.png

• Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Scrawler

• pajaro

• Manalto

• Rach31

Bear this in mind; I have only one Esterbrook, a J with a 9550 EF. I love it! It's butter smooth and very fine just the way I like it.

http://img525.imageshack.us/img525/606/letterji9.png

I have never let my schooling interfere with my education.

Mark Twain

+1 for the 2/9314s, M and B. Close second is the 2/9284 stub.

Life's too short to use crappy pens.  -carlos.q

9550s and 9555s foremost, then X550s and X555s can be nice, too. Obviously I line them extra fine.

This goes against my preference for gold nibs, but the smoothest nibs I have used are the Visconti tubular nib. They're not gold. I believe they're called chromium or palladium. I know, the carbon graphite, the Blue typhoon and the crystal nibs are smoother than any other nibs Ive used.

9788 Extra Flexible medium. Mind you, it doesn't have any particular flex that I've noticed, and I wouldn't want to stress it by trying. It's just a very nice nib to write with.

After that, it would probably be the 9668, 2668, and 2442.

Edited by ISW_Kaputnik

"So convenient a thing it is to be a reasonable creature, since it enables one to find or make a reason for everything one has a mind to do."

- Benjamin Franklin

I also like the 9788 medium flex. I'm a lefty and I can't use most flex nibs very well but for some reason the Esties work for me. 2nd would be the 9048, fine flex. In my experience all of the 9XXX are superior to most of the other nibs.

With a wide assortment of nibs to inchange with.

I recently got my first Esterbrook and am investigating this new world of options. Is "inchange" a term particular to this pen? I haven't seen it before.

James

1. I like the 2312 and 9312 because of the line variation, which gives me some pleasure. These nibs seem like a medium to broad italic. They do seem to write a more controlled line than something like a 9284 or a Sheaffer No Nonsense broad italic. The 2312 and 9312 seem a bit on the dry side. This is good for me.

2. I also like the 9550, because I get pleasure also from writing a very thin line.

3. I have liked the 9460, because it writes a well controlled medium. Mine are almost like fines.

4. I like the 9314-F because it writes a nice controlled line.

5. I also like the 2284, 9284, 9314-M and 9314-B. They are interesting to look at and nice as collector's items. They are too wet for me to write with. I get some pleasure just from the look of these nibs.

"Don't hurry, don't worry. It's better to be late at the Golden Gate than to arrive in Hell on time."
--Sign in a bar and grill, Ormond Beach, Florida, 1960.

I like the 2668 and the 9668. They are smooth medium general purpose letter writing nibs. I prefer the appearance of the 2668 because it is slightly longer than the 9668, and I prefer the overall look of a larger nib on my SJ, even though the 9668 is tipped. I am unlikely to wear out the 2668, even though it is untipped. The great thing about the Estie, is that although I have only one pen body, I can screw in a different nib, to effectively get a different pen. So when I want italics, I can screw an Osmiroid nib in, and if I want something fancy, I can screw in a gold nib that I have put in an Estie carrier.

"Interchange," Manalto, refers to the fact that Esterbrook nibs utilize an integrated feed that is bound to the nib with a collar that is threaded externally. The "nib assembly" screws into a corresponding internal thread within the section, making the nibs easily interchangeable by simply unscrewing them and replacing them with the nib/feed assembly of your choice. Examine your Esterbrook, if you will, holding the pen with the nib facing you, and look down the nib into the section. Notice the visible dividing line between the nib "collar" and the feed. That dividing line represents the seam between nib assembly and feed. Using reasonable caution, grasp the nib and unscrew it from the feed.

The interchangeability of the nibs is one of the attractions of the Esterbrook line, just as it is for Osmiroid, and several Burnham lines (the Burnham B48 line interchanges nibs with Esterbrook and the Osmiroid 65 and 75 series.)

If you enjoy variety in your nibs, Manalto, you're going to become very fond of Esterbrook. Having a rather extensive selection of Osmiroid, Burnham and Esterbrook pens and nibs, I have a great time swapping nibs with various pens. The Burnham B48, being a larger pen than the others mentioned, is one of my favorite "play pens" because there are no inner cap clearance issues with the other brands of nib.

Whereas many makers allow nib interchange, the "collared" nib/feed assemblies allow interchange without the messy and fiddly alignment issues involved with most vintage fountain pens.

Oh, and Manalto, welcome to the land of Esterbrook addiction. This is the support group for Estie addicts ("good evening, my name is Ted, and it's been almost 30 days since my last Esterbrook Purchase." Big round of applause, fresh cup of coffee and around the circle we go to hear the stories of others.)

I blame Mr. Hoban for my addiction. If he hadn't written that excellent book, I might never have developed this obsession with Esterbrook. :)

Edited by Ted S

Thanks, Ted. I get a lot of grief for being disingenuous but honestly didn't make the connection between "inchange" and "interchange," which I now realize, if it were a snake, woulda riz up and bit me. I credit Scrawler for sparking my interest. I've been clearing the decks for use of my gorgeous copper (the seller called it "root beer") J with a nice, fresh 2556 nib and pondering additional ones so I can take advantage of the aforementioned interchangeability. I'm leaning toward flexy but it's unlikely I'll stop there.

James

Edited by Manalto

James

Thanks, Ted. I get a lot of grief for being disingenuous but honestly didn't make the connection between "inchange" and "interchange," which I now realize, if it were a snake, woulda riz up and bit me. I credit Scrawler for sparking my interest. I've been clearing the decks for use of my gorgeous copper (the seller called it "root beer") J with a nice, fresh 2556 nib and pondering additional ones so I can take advantage of the aforementioned interchangeability. I'm leaning toward flexy but it's unlikely I'll stop there.

James

I am delighted to be a bad influence. That pen you have appears to be "root beer" not "copper". Unless the lighting of the picture is poor. "Copper" is quite a bit brighter. Yours really is a very nice looking pen.

I think my 9788 is my favorite nib. (I have a 2788 but the length of the 9788 is shorter and I like the line variation more than the 2788.)

The 2556 and 1554 Gregg are close seconds. The line the 2556 produces is crisp. It just looks good. The 1554 Gregg I have is a bit flexible and since it produces a find line I like using it.

+1 for the 2/9314s, M and B. Close second is the 2/9284 stub.

My 9284 seems more like an italic than a stub. I'm using it (trying to find love for it) but it gets pushed aside quickly.

I have no way of choosing. I have only ever had one Esterbrook nib fail me (I forget which one it was, I replaced it with something that played nicer and set the naughty one aside), and I love them all.

"Well, believe me, I calculated the odds of this succeeding versus the odds I was doing something incredibly stupid... and I went ahead anyway."

--Crow T. Robot, Mystery Science Theater 3000: The Movie

My Flickr, if you're interested

• 2 weeks later...

9312 Medium Italic. Finally replaced my Dollar Pen w/ an SM Deluxe, which is working well, albeit a bit heavy in the pocket.

Regret not buying a 3312 when I had the chance.