• Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Jamerelbe

• tenney

• FinalEleven

• paca

I have to say, this looks pretty good! The fountain pen option seems to rely on Kaweco nibs - I'm guessing the 060 screw-in units that fit the AL-Sport (and others). Which means that it'll be pretty easy to find replacement nibs if you like to swap things around. Having backed the nexus fountain pen on Kickstarter (great pen, woeful communication and delivery of product), I'm keen to see how this project goes. Thanks for pointing me to it!

This person has already run and fulfilled one Kickstarter (albeit for a simpler product), so he at least has some experience with the KS procedure. I'm willing to take a chance on it, but then again I'm a sucker for copper pens. ;)

MrThoth

Scribe, Master of Mystic Lore, Young Curmudgeon

His youtube channel is actually pretty great detailing the machining of the pens among other general machining things.

Backed for the Titanium pen!

Those who hurt me were not only someone else,

but also those who pretended not to notice. It was my friend.

I backed for the brass one. I don't have any brass pens yet and love the idea that it takes the Kaweco nib units, which makes swapping a breeze. Not to mention, it's open to tons of great cartridge options from Kaweco, Private Reserve and the like. Looking forward to seeing how it turns out.

No, that's not blood. That's Noodler's Antietam.

• 2 weeks later...

Titanium us a fairly springy nib material - but almost impossible to repair (so I'm told) if you go too far and "spring" the tines.

I bought a Nexus Kickstarter pen with Ti nib - really like it, but not sure I'd get one on the TiScribe. Don't like it *enough* to want to go to the extra expense again.

• 2 weeks later...

No-one's posted to this thread for a while - just thought I should point out that there have been a few developments on this Kickstarter campaign in the meantime:

Pens are now available in two sizes: 'regular' (4.15in uncapped) and 'full-sized' (5.1in). [The latter can accommodate a full-sized international converter; the former, a Monteverde mini-converter only.]

Pen caps are now available with a clip or a lanyard (or buy one of each, for $15 extra),

Kaweco-branded nibs have been replaced with Bock-branded nibs (same nib assembly, though). [Gel pen and ballpoint options are available too, for those who can't handle a real pen...]

Just over $20,000 has now been pledged - not sure whether there are any more stretch goals, but with 18 days to go in the campaign, anything's possible!

Surf on over to https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/423195318/scribe-titanium-copper-brass-fountain-ballpoint-ed/ if you're interested in finding out more - no affiliation, just an enthusiastic supporter of the project!

So, Kaweco and Bock assemblies are interchangeable? Any Bock nib unit just screws into a Kaweco?

No, that's not blood. That's Noodler's Antietam.

So, Kaweco and Bock assemblies are interchangeable? Any Bock nib unit just screws into a Kaweco?

No, I don't think that's quite correct - Bock make a few different nib assemblies, so only the '060' assembly is interchangeable with Kaweco. At least, that's what Kelvin (the project creator) seems to be indicating on his website.

I was always a bit nervous that if the project got too big, trying to source that many Kaweco nibs could become problematic - assuming Kaweco were happy for him to use their branded nibs in a 'competitor' project - so I'm glad he's been able to negotiate this with Bock directly.

AFAIK there will be titanium nib option, at least this is what Kelvin wrote to me some weeks ago:

Of course you can upgrade, but we have to reach the $20k stretch goal
first. The FS will have its own reward tier. Just adjust your pledge when
it becomes available.

The titanium nib will only become available at $40k to $50k. I'll make the
final decision when we hit $20k.

@Tinta yep, I remember that - and he's just indicated there'll be another stretch goal announced as we get closer to $30k. I think he was also toying with the idea of offering larger (#6?) nibs that fit into the same 060 nib assembly. All will be revealed when he's ready, I suppose...

Having purchased a Titanium nib in the nexus Kickstarter, I'm a bit ambivalent this time around. Glad to have one titanium nibbed pen, not sure I can be bothered with a second. The larger nib, on the other hand? Maybe that could tempt me...

And if you pledge for more than one pen, the full size pen is no extra charge.

--

Glenn (love those pen posses)

I'm in for 2 pens, but trying to decide whether to go full-size for one of them. 4.15in is a little short, but compact (though longer than an uncapped Kaweco Sport); 5.1in might fit in the hand more comfortably, but loses out in the pocketability stakes... If you only want one pen, you can pay an extra $5 (I think) to upsize.

Kelvin has just confirmed a #6 nib won't fit his design (not surprising!) - but has one or two other stretch goals to unveil if the project funding gets beyond $30k.

Stretch Goal #3 has just been announced - see the website for details.

Also, a couple of prototype reviews (both by Ed Jelly, but on different websites):

http://edjelley.com/2015/08/17/kickstarter-tiscribe-fountainballpoint-edc-pen-in-copper/

http://everydaycarry.com/posts/8540/TiScribe-EDC-Pen

And the latest Youtube update from the creator::

https://youtu.be/WkA-lP_B1PM

I changed my pledge to 2 pens, one Titanium, and one Copper. The videos he posts are really informative.

Those who hurt me were not only someone else,

but also those who pretended not to notice. It was my friend.

I changed my pledge to 2 pens, one Titanium, and one Copper. The videos he posts are really informative.

Yep, I'm on one titanium and one brass - and I agree, the videos (and instagram pics) add another dimension to the project. That's also where you find out about tweaks and improvements to the pen design that he's making as he refines the project.

I'm very interested, but it does look very short without the cap posted. That copper though, and the executive brass / titanium blend, well, golly! :puddle:

Hmm.. this might warrant some further pondering, I think..

Conid R DCB DB FT Ti & Montblanc 146 stub nib | Lamy 2000; Vista | Montblanc 90th Anni Legrand | Pelikan M800 Burnt Orange; M805 Stresemann | Pilot Prera; VP Guilloche | Visconti Fiorenza Lava LE; Homo Sapiens Bronze