What Is The Most You'd Pay For This Pen?

corgicoupe

I saw an Esterbrook in the wild today, priced at $29. It was a black, lever-fill pen with a metal, pull-off cap. It's one attraction was that it had a 9555 nib in it. The lever moved easily, so the sac may be gone, or perhaps still in good shape. [i do know how to change a sac.] It's not particularly pretty, and I don't know what model it is. Could it be a Safari? How would it compare with the J-series?

Baptiste knew how to make a short job long

For love of it. And yet not waste time either.

Robert Frost

• Replies 7
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• gweimer1

• corgicoupe

• fireant

• Chouffleur

I considered buying a Safari (similar to your description) for the nib. I planned to offload a fine nib (since they don't interest me) onto it and move the nib I wanted over to one of my regular pens. I ended up not bidding but I would have bid something like my Average LJ purchase price * 0.50 + the Anderson Pens price for the nib (as New) * 0.75.

Then again I'm not winning many auctions these days. ;-)

I don't know much about the Safari. I planned to use it as a daily carry for a while and if it didn't suit me, then PIF it.

Edited by Chouffleur

Check out Brian Anderson's Esterbrook site. You should be able to identify the pen there. Without a picture (hint, hint), I'm guessing a late model Deluxe, or maybe a CX-100. Later models weren't as sturdy as the venerable J series. I had a CX-100 that I ended up breaking the section trying to remove it.

http://www.esterbrook.net/cx100.shtml

Thank you for the link gweimer-I was looking for info on they type of estie.

Edited by fireant

Well, I paid $10 for a 9555 nib unit last summer at DCSS. So, while not knowing a whole lot about Safaris -- I like the mackerel finish J series pens -- I'd guess that $29 isn't a bad price (figuring it as $19-20 for the pen and another $10 for the nib). Not a stellar price, mind, but decent.

Ruth Morrisson aka inkstainedruth

"It's very nice, but frankly, when I signed that list for a P-51, what I had in mind was a fountain pen."

• 2 weeks later...

What price to pay for an Estie:

Prices of collectible are all over the map.

When you see a pen , any pen Estie, Parker Waterman, no name

Does it capture your attention if not let it be. If it does, does it pass your critical eye

, is there any damage, do look it over with a magnifier , be objective , is there anything about it you do not like , and what can be done about it. Does it work , can you make it work will you need outside help, what might that cost only then can you say I just might buy this pen.

After honestly approaching the questions can you say your self , is this pen for me, do I have the extra funds to consider it.

Be it for sale at $ 5.00 , 10, 25 or 250.00 does it make sense , will I eventually get most of my money back when it comes time to sell or trade it.

So asking us here is it a good deal, not being there with you we can hardly advise in retrospect

There are too many variables to consider in evaluating a collectible such as a pen or a painting

It is an education process and mistakes along the way are inevitable.

Hop in get your feet wet and enjoy the hobby.

penfancier1915@hotmail.com

Tom Heath

Peace be with you . Hug your loved ones today

The 9xxx series is a premium nib. In the original retail environment, an Esterbrook, with a 9xxx series nib, costs about 50% more. (about $3.75 vs $2.50). If the sac is gone, cleaning, adjusting, and de-clogging might also be need. I estimate restoration would run $25 - $35. You might DIY for $10.
$10 + $29 = $39 . Is this pen worth $39 to you ?

At whichever price is comfortable to you, a restored Esterbrook is a sweet writer. Check your PM.

Auf freiem Grund mit freiem Volke stehn.
Zum Augenblicke dürft ich sagen:
Verweile doch, du bist so schön !

I have sources that scrounge the salt mines for Esterbrooks. Complete with no broken jewel Esterbrooks freshly trapped in the wild should cost between 9 and 11 each when purchased in bulk. Bluk is more than 20 pens at a time and you should expect a few to have an issue that is missed while you are counting. The entire transaction should take less than 30 seconds assuming you don't need to make change and are not paying in 2$ bills.

San Francisco International Pen Show - The next “Funnest Pen Show” is on schedule for August 23-24-25, 2024.  Watch the show website for registration details. 

My PM box is usually full. Just email me: my last name at the google mail address.