Hero 572...wow!

luvpens

So,

Here goes another one of my not so in depth quick reviews, accompanied by the usual rather pathetic photography... :lol:

I've always liked Hero pens, but never heard of this one. I came across it by purely by accident when browsing Yespens site.

As with many Hero's, it came quite nicely boxed.

Many of you will immediately notice that it is heavily inspired by the MB Solitaire. Now, this is a good thing as the Solitaire is a very attractive pen. There are enough subtle differences that they have not tried to copy / replicate the pen per se, but the inspiration is quite obviously there.

Hero pens, I've always found to be very well made and finished - but this one is a cut above.

The build, fit and finish on this really is genuinely quite excellent. I can find no flaws whatsoever in any respect. There is simply nothing to indicate the measly price tag. It easily compares with my Carene and Expert in build / finish.

As usual, I did not flush the pen through..... :o However, after a quick inking with Pelikan 4001 Royal Blue, it started quickly and wrote like a champ. It lays down what I'd call a European medium line, which I'd say was medium wet. The nib has just the right amount of feedback I like, basically like writing with a pencil.

One thing that surprised me was the flexibility of the nib. I've not had another Hero like this, the nib really is nicely flexible.

The weight comes in around 35g, which is fine by me - I like pens toward the heavy spectrum. I find it too light and small unposted, but I always write posted anyway, so it's not an issue. It's a very comfortable pen in use.

I really do recommend this pen, it's quite remarkable at the price point - and would still be at a much higher price point.

I genuinely think a few MB Solitaire owners out there would like this if they tried one.

A few pics below and a link from where I bought it (which has better photo's....)

http://i61.tinypic.com/2zgaqnm.jpg

http://i62.tinypic.com/15yupap.jpg

http://i60.tinypic.com/24myxa8.jpg

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Hero-572-Fountain-Pen-Lacquered-Grid-Cap-Chromed-Trim-/180673947613

• Replies 16
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• luvpens

• fromthecrowd

• Manalto

• celesul

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Can you please describe how the cap clicks in place. Is there a plastic insert in the cap which interacts with the section, or some more reliable mechanism?

It's a plastic insert.

In saying that, I've rarely had any issues with Hero pens in this regard. The system they use seems to be reliable and seals very well.

I've had a number of Hero's that will give an instant start even after weeks of non use..

It also has a quality feel when you both remove and re-attach the cap.

This one is odd, just seems more flexible than usual?

Very nice writer though.

Thank you for your excellent review and for getting me interested in yet another interesting Chinese pen.

This one is odd, just seems more flexible than usual?

I'm not sure what you mean. Is the nib flexible?

Is the cap a combination of matte and glossy chrome? (The only listing I can find on eBay doesn't have the magnification option, so it's hard to tell from available photos.)

Do you recall how much you paid? That one listing I found has it for 11 pounds/17 dollars.

How do you think the plastic insert will hold up over time? I have a few Chinese pens that require a steamfitter to close, a few that click soundly and securely. I've read a few comments though, here and there, that some caps get sloppy over time and not much can be done about it.

Edited by Manalto

James

Thank you for the information! The pen is very tempting indeed!

You are welcome

Thank you for your excellent review and for getting me interested in yet another interesting Chinese pen.

I'm not sure what you mean. Is the nib flexible?

Is the cap a combination of matte and glossy chrome? (The only listing I can find on eBay doesn't have the magnification option, so it's hard to tell from available photos.)

Do you recall how much you paid? That one listing I found has it for 11 pounds/17 dollars.

How do you think the plastic insert will hold up over time? I have a few Chinese pens that require a steamfitter to close, a few that click soundly and securely. I've read a few comments though, here and there, that some caps get sloppy over time and not much can be done about it.

Hi,

I bought it from the link shown in the first post, so that's what I paid.

The cap is a matt / glossy chrome, but it's also then been lacquered which gives it depth. It looks very nice indeed.

The nib would not be classed as a flexy by any means, it's just that it's a bit more flexible than usual, but in a pleasant way. Quite hard to describe really.

The cap on this removes and refits with a satisfying "click" - there is no cheap feeling to it. It comes off and on with just the right amount of force. Neither hard, nor sloppy. I've been using Hero pens for some time and own quite a few, and to date have not had a problem with a cap becoming sloppy over time.

I've owned many pens over the years and rate the Hero brand highly. I'm one of those who likes quality goods and will pay the money if necessary. The good thing about Hero, is you get the quality, but without having to pay a high price.

In saying that, I'll admit to not really liking the 616's / doctor pens / 616 jumbo etc, as they really are Hero's bottom of the range products. Once you get past them though.....

They are very impressive.

Edited by luvpens

I've been using Hero pens for some time and own quite a few, and to date have not had a problem with a cap becoming sloppy over time.

That's good to know. I'm probably overestimating my own longevity anyway; the Heros probably will last plenty long enough.

James

• 2 weeks later...

So, my Hero 572 has arrived.

Luvpens, I find your description very adequate.

The only drawbacks of the pen I want to stress are the following two.

1) You have noted that the pen is small. It is actually only 101 mm without nib and unposted.

Not bad. In fact it is the same length as Pelikan m200.

2) But the bad thing is that while Pelikan m200 is one of the most reliable posters, the 572 isn't.

The posted cap is very loose and has a tendency to fall from the pen.

This is even surprising. For it was easy to design it to click in place in posted position.

(The top of the barrel kind of repeats the section ring used to lock the cap. If only the top disk was 9.5 mm, not 8.8 mm the cap could be locked when posted.)

The nib is exactly as you describe - pencil like. Not everybody's piece of cake. But the flow is good and the tip can be easily smoothed to taste.

Thank you for your recommendation. This pen is a great example of high quality Hero production. I am glad to have it.

The card in the case reads 2006. This is before Hero sold 49% of their shares in 2012. May be our Chinese friends will help to translate this text?

post-112455-0-54275000-1438768490.jpg

So, my Hero 572 has arrived.

Luvpens, I find your description very adequate.

The only drawbacks of the pen I want to stress are the following two.

1) You have noted that the pen is small. It is actually only 101 mm without nib and unposted.

Not bad. In fact it is the same length as Pelikan m200.

2) But the bad thing is that while Pelikan m200 is one of the most reliable posters, the 572 isn't.

The posted cap is very loose and has a tendency to fall from the pen.

This is even surprising. For it was easy to design it to click in place in posted position.

(The top of the barrel kind of repeats the section ring used to lock the cap. If only the top disk was 9.5 mm, not 8.8 mm the cap could be locked when posted.)

The nib is exactly as you describe - pencil like. Not everybody's piece of cake. But the flow is good and the tip can be easily smoothed to taste.

Thank you for your recommendation. This pen is a great example of high quality Hero production. I am glad to have it.

Glad you like it.

Yes, posting was a bit difficult at first and I had to give it a bit of a shove to stay on. However, it kind of beds in after a while and gets better.