Thread Advise For Kitless Pens

sanyalsoumitra

what are the taps and dies used in making fine threads in kit-less pens ?

I have metric coarse and inches coarse and fine tap/die set... but very unhappy with results.

Always felt metric fines will give me better results but so far not able to procure M-fine tap/dies in Kolkata and abroad.

Request some advise on taps/dies that can be used for making standard size kit-less pens.

BTW: I do not know thread making on lathe-- where can I learn ?

Thanks and best regards.

Soumitra

• Replies 14
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• sanyalsoumitra

• hari317

• S-K

• Buster99

Sanyal

1. Use gears for 0.7mm or 36/inch according to the lathe

2. Use tool with V shaped tip - should be very sharp

3. turn lathe with hand instead of using power for thread cutting Also I use oil as lubricant

Atleast these procedures work for me..

Regards

Sree

One Day I'll Grow Up Like My Master.

Sanyal

1. Use gears for 0.7mm or 36/inch according to the lathe

2. Use tool with V shaped tip - should be very sharp

3. turn lathe with hand instead of using power for thread cutting Also I use oil as lubricant

Atleast these procedures work for me..

Regards

Sree

Dr. Sree Kumar many many thanks for the practical tip-- I cut my first 0.7 mm pitch thread today and beginning to feel independent of taps and dies. In fact in feel like selling away the three sets I have! one question what sizes to be maintained between the male and female blanks, I mean the interference. Say, If I make a 14 mm step and cut the tread on it, what size I should drill in the cap so that the threads match? Appreciate one more practical tip from you. Once again many many thanks.

Dr. Sree Kumar many many thanks for the practical tip-- I cut my first 0.7 mm pitch thread today and beginning to feel independent of taps and dies. In fact in feel like selling away the three sets I have! one question what sizes to be maintained between the male and female blanks, I mean the interference. Say, If I make a 14 mm step and cut the tread on it, what size I should drill in the cap so that the threads match? Appreciate one more practical tip from you. Once again many many thanks.

assuming that you are cutting 60degree thread form for the cap to barrel joint.

If the thread you use has a Major diameter of A mm and Pitch B mm, then drill the cap bore as A-B mm.

e.g. if the cap thread you plan to use is M14x0.75 then bore the cap to 13.2mm, once this is done, tap the cap.

Metric Fine Taps are easily available in India, atleast Mumbai. Dies are also available, multi-start dies are a problem.

HTH.

In case you wish to write to me, pls use ONLY email by clicking here. I do not check PMs. Thank you.

assuming that you are cutting 60degree thread form for the cap to barrel joint.

If the thread you use has a Major diameter of A mm and Pitch B mm, then drill the cap bore as A-B mm.

e.g. if the cap thread you plan to use is M14x0.75 then bore the cap to 13.2mm, once this is done, tap the cap.

Metric Fine Taps are easily available in India, atleast Mumbai. Dies are also available, multi-start dies are a problem.

HTH.

Thanks Hari 317. So it is A-B for the inner and A+B for the outer. Well understood. Thanks to inputs from you and Dr Sreekumar my mental block is removed. I do not need to depend on taps and dies anymore.

Thanks Hari 317. So it is A-B for the inner and A+B for the outer. Well understood. Thanks to inputs from you and Dr Sreekumar my mental block is removed. I do not need to depend on taps and dies anymore.

Call me Hari. :)

Bore inner diameter = A-B for nut and turn the outer diameter = A for the bolt.

In case of pen, nut is cap and bolt is barrel.

HTH.

In case you wish to write to me, pls use ONLY email by clicking here. I do not check PMs. Thank you.

Hello sanyal,

It has been a while since I got the time to use my lathes but these are some things i remember:

My advice is to practice and experiment!, Use scrap material of any kind and see how it works out, grind your own threading toolbit and see how different angles work for you, shallower or sharper, 60 degrees will be roughly standard for most threads. So how combinations of pitch and threading angles will work out for you.

Set your top slide to 45 degrees and advance by double the distance, do this by advancing the top slide so that the toolbit will cut from the side and not from the tip and see how that works for you, alternatively set the slide angle to 60 degrees, equal to the angle of the threading bit. Try multi-threading on a larger piece of material (oversize for visibility), mark your chuck accordingly or use a threading indicator, try 3 or 4 multi-threads and multiply your pitch accordingly.

Try tighter and looser threads by varying the diameters by a little bit making your threads just right for your needs and the material you want to use.

Lastly read up on different thread forms and shapes which all have their own specific function and purpose.

Best regards,

Marc

Edited by Buster99

Call me Hari. :)

Bore inner diameter = A-B for nut and turn the outer diameter = A for the bolt.

In case of pen, nut is cap and bolt is barrel.

HTH.

Thanks Hari for correcting . now I understand clearly.

Hello sanyal,

It has been a while since I got the time to use my lathes but these are some things i remember:

My advice is to practice and experiment!, Use scrap material of any kind and see how it works out, grind your own threading toolbit and see how different angles work for you, shallower or sharper, 60 degrees will be roughly standard for most threads. So how combinations of pitch and threading angles will work out for you.

Set your top slide to 45 degrees and advance by double the distance, do this by advancing the top slide so that the toolbit will cut from the side and not from the tip and see how that works for you, alternatively set the slide angle to 60 degrees, equal to the angle of the threading bit. Try multi-threading on a larger piece of material (oversize for visibility), mark your chuck accordingly or use a threading indicator, try 3 or 4 multi-threads and multiply your pitch accordingly.

Try tighter and looser threads by varying the diameters by a little bit making your threads just right for your needs and the material you want to use.

Lastly read up on different thread forms and shapes which all have their own specific function and purpose.

Best regards,

Marc

Marc, thank you very much for the ideas given. I am trying these already. Actually the threads made by taps and die have some backlash and that is what was preventing me from getting a nice fit. Now I feel independent. Very grateful to all these replies.. very practical and helpful.

Hello Sanyal,

Good to hear, I hope it all works out for you and that you will be successful!

Best Regards,

Marc

Hi Sanyal,

When using lathe for cutting threads, my method is to cut the female part first because it is easier to adjust the tenon than bore size. If you want a 13mm ( or 13.1 0r 13. 43 or 12.33 etc etc .....) use a smaller drill size to drill and then use a boring tool to increase the bore. With drill alone you wont get the finish. It will be better if you use rolled sand paper after boring for better finish.

After thread cutting the female end, it is easy to cut the tenon end in respaet to the female end. No need to measure by mms. Just see whether the tenon is just about to pass through the bored hole. It should not pass.... just about to pass. The feeling in hand is important and you can get it by repeated attempts. Now you can cut the male threads.

Around .30 to .40 mm depth is required which shoud be cut in 3 or 4 parts. The last cut shoul be only one division in lathe ( May be equal to around .02mm or vary according to the lathe) which is the finishing cut.

These methods are the one comfortable to me and should be good to you also. But always try your own style which may be comfortable to you

regards

Sree

One Day I'll Grow Up Like My Master.

Hi Sanyal,

When using lathe for cutting threads, my method is to cut the female part first because it is easier to adjust the tenon than bore size. If you want a 13mm ( or 13.1 0r 13. 43 or 12.33 etc etc .....) use a smaller drill size to drill and then use a boring tool to increase the bore. With drill alone you wont get the finish. It will be better if you use rolled sand paper after boring for better finish.

After thread cutting the female end, it is easy to cut the tenon end in respaet to the female end. No need to measure by mms. Just see whether the tenon is just about to pass through the bored hole. It should not pass.... just about to pass. The feeling in hand is important and you can get it by repeated attempts. Now you can cut the male threads.

Around .30 to .40 mm depth is required which shoud be cut in 3 or 4 parts. The last cut shoul be only one division in lathe ( May be equal to around .02mm or vary according to the lathe) which is the finishing cut.

These methods are the one comfortable to me and should be good to you also. But always try your own style which may be comfortable to you

regards

Sree

lovely post, thanks! I can actually see you cutting the threads by hand feel. This is the traditional method used by our artisans and I saw something similar being done in the hakase video,

https://youtu.be/_0eSlUXxa1k

only difference is that they were using hand thread chasers to cut the threads instead of single pointing them on a lathe.

Best

Hari

Edited by hari317

Hi Sanyal,

regards

Sree

Thanks Sree for the clear guide line. One day I would develop that accuracy.

lovely post, thanks! I can actually see you cutting the threads by hand feel. This is the traditional method used by our artisans and I saw something similar being done in the hakase video,

https://youtu.be/_0eSlUXxa1k

only difference is that they were using hand thread chasers to cut the threads instead of single pointing them on a lathe.

Best

Hari

Thanks Hari for this breathtaking video. Learnt so much.