Mora Stylos Oldwin Inspired Acrylic

Joseph B

There are a few pens that I will likely never have the pleasure of seeing in person, much less owning, but am inspired by their design and execution. One of those is the Mora Stylos Oldwin. As a hobbyist, within my limitations, I make inspired versions for myself toward experiencing the design and fabrication process as well as for the finished pen. I made this prototype pen using acrylic with the intent of making another in ebonite if it suits. It is a very large pen but incredibly comfortable to use and will still clip in some shirt pockets. It is an eye dropper or can be fitted with a converter. The nib is an Asian made steel number 8 and is nicely springy. The clip is handmade hammered brass. I included a Jinhao 159 in one photo for size comparison.Comments are welcome.

post-85684-0-50755800-1437206585_thumb.jpg

post-85684-0-76666000-1437206899_thumb.jpg

post-85684-0-95708500-1437207000_thumb.jpg

• Replies 16
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Joseph B

• jjlax10

• brittshideler

• flummoxed

Smashing!!!! Beautiful work, and materials.

Congratulations.

Thank you so much for your kind comment. For this pen effort, your location in France makes it particularly generous.

Sincerely, Joe B.

I'd never heard of Mora Stylos, but googled some images. Your source of inspiration shows in your pen. I like the threads at the base of the barrel, just like some of the images I viewed.

• 4 months later...

I'd never heard of Mora Stylos, but googled some images. Your source of inspiration shows in your pen. I like the threads at the base of the barrel, just like some of the images I viewed.

Joe, that's a nice looking pen indeed. And the Oldwin is a great model to use. I hope to try one someday.

Thank you both. It is very comfortable to use. I hope we all get to try a Mora Stylos Oldwin someday.

I really enjoyed Leigh Reyes' article at http://www.leighreyes.com/?p=4732.

Joe

• 5 weeks later...

Great work, I particularly like the profile and proportions of the barrel.

Thanks, it is very comfortable to hold and write with.

That is truly a MONSTER of a pen. To make a J159 look that small. Wow.

Looks good, but I think just a wee bit to big for me. Superb finish to it.

Regards,

Richard.

Thank you Richard,

Yes it is large, but a bit deceiving, The length unposted is shorter than the posted 159, it it is lighter than the 159 (acrylic vs. brass) and the grip at the section is about the same as the 159. So all things considered, a very usable pen, as big pens go.

Gorgeous. What is the name of the celluloid.

President, Big Apple Pen Club

Follow us on Instagram @big_apple_pen_club

"Let other pens dwell on guilt and misery."

J.J. Lax Pen Co.

www.jjlaxpenco.comOn Instagram: @jjlaxpenco

Gorgeous. What is the name of the celluloid.

Thanks! It is acrylic and is called "Liquid Metal" at some suppliers.

Woodcraft: http://www.woodcraft.com/product/152768/acrylic-pen-blank-liquid-metal.aspx

Penblanks: http://www.penblanks.ca/Acrylic-pen-blanks-584/

Exotic Blanks: http://www.exoticblanks.com/Liquid-Metal-Acrylic-Pen-Blank.html

I hope these links work. I appreciate your interest.

Joe B.

• 4 months later...

I am now in love with Oldwins. Absolutely love your clip. Would you be interested in making one of these out of ebonite for me? And what would you charge? Please feel free to email me. brittshideler@gmail.com

Thanks,

Britt