Nibs For The Twsbi Eco

spaceink

About the nib swapping, just as reminder, we use different feeders to control the ink flow of stub 1.1 vs others B,M,F,EF.

Stub 1.1 feeder got slightly heavier ink flow, so please don't mix up these two type of feeders. Cannot tell from the look outside, but you should be able to see the different in writing.

Cheers

speedy

Thanks for this "heads up" Speedy. Fortunately (as I mentioned elsewhere), it has not been a problem for me.

RE FPR STUB NIB

The Twsbi italic nib on mine was a bit 'off' - I should have got a replacement but I decided to 'fix' it myself. In the meantime I fitted a FPR fine stub nib in it's place - the FPR nib is really very good indeed - excellent flow & form etc. The Eco is a bigger pen than I expected BUT if feels, handles, and looks (white 'top & tail' with Diamine Amber ink in) great. The piston mechanism works exceedingly well. It's much better than I expected - a big thumbs up (so far).

John

Today is Yesterday's Tomorrow :-)

For All The Times That Might Have Been We Only Have The Now

www.africanconservation.org

• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Jamerelbe

• jordanjay29

• spaceink

• Lamyrada

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Thanks for this "heads up" Speedy. Fortunately (as I mentioned elsewhere), it has not been a problem for me.

RE FPR STUB NIB

The Twsbi italic nib on mine was a bit 'off' - I should have got a replacement but I decided to 'fix' it myself. In the meantime I fitted a FPR fine stub nib in it's place - the FPR nib is really very good indeed - excellent flow & form etc. The Eco is a bigger pen than I expected BUT if feels, handles, and looks (white 'top & tail' with Diamine Amber ink in) great. The piston mechanism works exceedingly well. It's much better than I expected - a big thumbs up (so far).

I'm happy to know someone has managed to fit a FPR stub nib on the Eco: I've tried it with mine, and found it was not a good fit. The FPR nib seems to be just a little thinner than the JoWo nib? Whatever it is, it seems to sit fine till I put pen to paper - then the slight back pressure of nib on paper causes it to lift slightly away from the feed, and dries up ink flow :( . I'm sure I could wedge a little something in behind the nib to sit it on tighter - but not sure it's worth the risk. :wacko:

In all honesty, the nib and feed on this pen come out VEEEERY easily - I wonder if there's a slight variability in this from pen to pen, or whether it's consistent across the range? :unsure:

Regardless, the B nib that came with this pen lays down a wonderfully wet line - I don't really *need* to change it out, just thought the stub might add some interesting line variation!

Jamerelbe,

Was it the 5.5 or 5 FPR nib that you put into your Eco?

Mine has the original 1.1 mm stub in right now. I think, with the flow friendly feed for the 1.1mm pen, it will make a suitable home for an FPR flex nib.

Edited by spaceink

• 4 weeks later...

Hi everyone and thanks for sharing all these interesting information.

I was planning to buy a TSWBI eco with an EF or F nib, and separately a flex and a stub nib from Fountain Pen Revolution to experiemnt a bit.

As far as I understood from previous posts both 5 and 5.5 nibs would be fine, there is just a slight difference in lenght - right?

Additionally, will I need to replace the feed as well? If yes which one of the ones offered on the website? I see there are 5.1 flex feeds but no 5.5 feeds..

BTW what is the rationale - does the flex need a more abundant flow?

Thanks everyone for your comments!

A flex nib does indeed need a stronger flow. You can try to fit one of the FPN flex feeds into the Eco, or get an Eco with a 1.1 stub and that will come with a feed that supports a heavier flow of ink. (the feed for the stub is different than the feed for the others)

I have no idea if either is the better choice. I did just recently get myself an Eco with a 1.1 stub and will try out a flex nib at some point, but I haven't had the time. Would love for someone else to blaze that trail while I'm busy with life.

“When the historians of education do equal and exact justice to all who have contributed toward educational progress, they will devote several pages to those revolutionists who invented steel pens and blackboards.” V.T. Thayer, 1928

Check out my Steel Pen Blog

"No one is exempt from talking nonsense; the mistake is to do it solemnly."

-Montaigne

• 2 weeks later...

Yep, the 5.5 FPR flex works well with the 1.1mm stub feed. I heat set it with boiling water, too. Doesn't railroad if you don't try to flex too far apart.

post-117704-0-07412500-1443818292_thumb.jpg

Does anyone know if the feed from the nib units (580 or Mini) will fit in the Eco? I've been thinking of putting a FPR flex on my Eco but I bought an Eco with a B nib. I'd prefer to just have to buy a 1.1mm nib unit instead of buying an entire other Eco.

On a similar note, does anyone know if the standard Eco feed can keep up with an Edison #5 broad?

Don't mind me, I like to ramble... A LOT

The TWSBI 580 and/or Mini 1.5 is my favorite pen/nib combination so I'm hoping to find a 1.5 nib for the Eco. As someone else mentioned, I've found that my 1.1 Eco nib writes a thinner line than the 1.1 nib for the Mini. I've even done a quick visual comparison (didn't even need the loupe) and the length and curve/angle(?) at the bottom of the two look different to me.

Given that TWSBI is discontinuing the 1.5 on at least some models it would be great to find some alternatives for future models that may not have the larger nib available. I've found both the #5 and the #5.5 nibs online but can't seem to find them in the 1.5. Any suggestions?

• 3 weeks later...

Not all TWSBI Eco 1.1s are equal either.

My white one, from the Writing Desk, has a much narrower line than my black one, from Cult Pens.

But I suspect the ink has a lot to do with it. The white pen has R&K Cassia in it, which is a slightly drier ink than I realised. The black one, I filled with Omas Blue, which I found out here at FPN is a very wet and flowing ink.

When I emptied the Cassia into a vial, stirred it with a toothpick dipped in Liquitex, and then put it back in the white pen, the line widened and darkened quite a bit.

So, I've learnt that the Eco seems to be a slightly dryish writer that flourishes with a wetter ink. :)

I find it interesting to note; I can write smaller / finer than I can with many of my fine pointed pens. For example, I can write finer with the TWSBI 1.1 than my Pelikan M1000 EF if I work at it. I've said I really like the Eco because of it's light weight, high ink volume, and light weight cap. I would prefer though that the 1.1 italic nib was a bit more italic, and a bit less cursive.

Is there a disadvantage to using the additional flow capacity of the feeder supplied for the 1.1 mm stub on the Eco, with a narrower nib? For example, if someone started with a 1.1 mm stub and swapped to a Medium nib without changing the feed, would that create too much ink flow?

Reviews and articles on Fountain Pen Network

CHINA, JAPAN, AND INDIA

Hua Hong Blue Belter | Penbbs 456 | Stationery | ASA Nauka in Dartmoor and Ebonite | ASA Azaadi | ASA Bheeshma | ASA Halwa | Ranga Model 8 and 8b | Ranga Emperor

ITALY AND THE UK

FILCAO Roxi | FILCAO Atlantica | Italix Churchman's Prescriptor

USA, INK, AND EXPERIMENTS

Bexley Prometheus | Route 54 Motor Oil | Black Swan in Icelandic Minty Bathwater | Robert Oster Aqua | Diamine Emerald Green | Mr. Pen Radiant Blue | Three Oysters Giwa | Flex Nib Modifications | Rollstoppers

• 4 weeks later...

Could you please explain which nib that is? On the MrPen website, all nibs have names, none have numbers, so I don't know which ones you actually mean. Are they the ones in the section "Italix 'Original' and Originalis Nib Sections and Spares"?

Bump

Looking for a black SJ Transitional Esterbrook Pen. (It's smaller than an sj)

• 1 month later...

Anybody have any idea where I could get a replacement nib unit in the UK?

I chickened out last minute and got a fine but still crave the 1.1, but can't justify getting the same pen again a week later!

Anybody have any idea where I could get a replacement nib unit in the UK?

I chickened out last minute and got a fine but still crave the 1.1, but can't justify getting the same pen again a week later!

I'd check out fpnibs.com, they're in Spain, but their after market nibs for TWSBI pens are made by Jowo, are custom designed to fit the Diamond 580 and the Mini (you'll want the latter), and are somewhat cheaper than buying a nib assembly from TWSBI...

Has anyone succeeded in putting a Sheaffer touchdown open nib in a TWSBI eco? I happen to have one floating around after I cracked the barrel, and would really like to put it in an Eco.

• 2 weeks later...

It's bound to happen. TWSBI eco with Sailor 1911s gold nib and Pelikan M200ss nib. Sorry for the poor quality. It was taken using a cp.

Sorry, but what Sailor nib is that? And did it fit properly?

Hi,

First post! I have read through the thread, I don't think the answer to my questions is in here but my lack of technical understanding of fountain pens may have meant that i overlooked something!

Anyway I was wondering are all TWSBI nibs equally firm, i.e. does the "F" Eco nib have the same *feel* as the "F" 580 nib etc.

I ask because I have been using a "F" ECO for the last month and have been really impressed, great flow and smooth writing have covered up exactly how stiff the nib actually is. I only realised when I unwittingly picked up my Lamy 2K, now I am just thinking that the ECO is a bit of a "nail" to write with!

I want to fall back in love with the pen, but more so the brand, do the more expensive pens have nicer nibs? What would be a good aftermarket nib that would match the feel of the 2K?

Best regards,

Chris

• 3 weeks later...

It's bound to happen. TWSBI eco with Sailor 1911s gold nib and Pelikan M200ss nib. Sorry for the poor quality. It was taken using a cp.

how did you get the m200 nib to fit. looking at my m200 nib and feed it seems like the nib is held in place by a metal band.

i'm guessing if i remove the m200 nib from the feed it wouldn't go back on again.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi,

First post! I have read through the thread, I don't think the answer to my questions is in here but my lack of technical understanding of fountain pens may have meant that i overlooked something!

Anyway I was wondering are all TWSBI nibs equally firm, i.e. does the "F" Eco nib have the same *feel* as the "F" 580 nib etc.

I ask because I have been using a "F" ECO for the last month and have been really impressed, great flow and smooth writing have covered up exactly how stiff the nib actually is. I only realised when I unwittingly picked up my Lamy 2K, now I am just thinking that the ECO is a bit of a "nail" to write with!

I want to fall back in love with the pen, but more so the brand, do the more expensive pens have nicer nibs? What would be a good aftermarket nib that would match the feel of the 2K?

Best regards,

Chris

Remember the nib on the 2K is 14K gold not stainless steel like the TWSBI nibs even though it is silver in color.

By its very nature, gold is softer than steel. Although there are stiff gold nibs. I am not aware of any gold nibs available in the aftermarket that would work, but I don't know why there wouldn't be some.

Brad

"Words are, of course, the most powerful drug used by mankind" - Rudyard Kipling
"None of us can have as many virtues as the fountain-pen, or half its cussedness; but we can try." - Mark Twain

Remember the nib on the 2K is 14K gold not stainless steel like the TWSBI nibs even though it is silver in color.

By its very nature, gold is softer than steel. Although there are stiff gold nibs. I am not aware of any gold nibs available in the aftermarket that would work, but I don't know why there wouldn't be some.

so it seems the jowo #5 nibs fit pretty well in the eco. i have a steel franklin-christoph in mine. they also make it in gold as well. also fpnibs.com has gold nibs for the eco. meisternibs makes a gold #5 as well.

when changing the nibs on the eco you have to use the twsbi feed as the other jowo feeds i've tried didn't fit.

Hi,

Best regards,

Chris

These nibs are NOT flex nibs, and that applies to both TWSBI and Lamy 2000 nibs. For me they are all NAILS. I write with very little pressure on the pen, and do not attempt to flex these nibs. So gold or stainless, it makes no difference. In fact if you are flexing the nib of a L-2000, you are pressing down on the pen too hard. Lighten up your hand, and the pens will feel better to write with.

San Francisco Pen Show - August 28-30, 2020 - Redwood City, California

www.SFPenShow.com