The Fountain Pen Network uses (functional) cookies. Read the FPN Privacy Policy for more info.  To remove this message, please click here to accept the use of cookies

Registration on the Fountain Pen Network

Dearest Visitor of the little Fountain Pen Nut house on the digital prairie,

Due to the enormous influx of spammers, it is no longer possible to handle valditions in the traditional way. For registrations we therefore kindly and respectfully request you to send an email with your request to our especially created email address. This email address is register at fountainpennetwork dot com. Please include your desired user name, and after validation we will send you a return email containing the validation key, normally wiithin a week.

Thank you very much in advance!
The FPN Admin Team

Photo

Nibs For The Twsbi Eco

twsbi eco nibs change switch size alternative remove

• Please log in to reply
88 replies to this topic

#21 beanbag

beanbag

Sailor Shigure

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 278 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 25 July 2015 - 09:49

Well I prefer the extra nibs to be by TWSBI because the logo will match, and I don't have to worry about getting exactly the right length.  For a company that keeps sending out free parts here and there, it sure would be nice and ECOnomical and ECOlogically conscious to be able to just buy these nibs for a (non?) token amount of money and shipping instead of getting a whole new pen.

Sponsored Content

#22 Jamerelbe

Jamerelbe

Antique

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,665 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 25 July 2015 - 10:14

Well I prefer the extra nibs to be by TWSBI because the logo will match, and I don't have to worry about getting exactly the right length.  For a company that keeps sending out free parts here and there, it sure would be nice and ECOnomical and ECOlogically conscious to be able to just buy these nibs for a (non?) token amount of money and shipping instead of getting a whole new pen.

Don't disagree with you - I'm just not all that optimistic that they'll be keen to oblige!  Let's wait and see whether TWSBI are open to the idea...

#23 PortiaDaCosta

PortiaDaCosta

Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 104 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 25 July 2015 - 11:32

On a related note I find the ECO 1.1 down stroke much thinner than the 1.1 on my 580. I guess all 1.1 stubs are not equal.

Not all TWSBI Eco 1.1s are equal either.

My white one, from the Writing Desk, has a much narrower line than my black one, from Cult Pens.

But I suspect the ink has a lot to do with it. The white pen has R&K Cassia in it, which is a slightly drier ink than I realised. The black one, I filled with Omas Blue, which I found out here at FPN is a very wet and flowing ink.

When I emptied the Cassia into a vial, stirred it with a toothpick dipped in Liquitex, and then put it back in the white pen, the line widened and darkened quite a bit.

So, I've learnt that the Eco seems to be a slightly dryish writer that flourishes with a wetter ink. :)

PORTIA DA COSTA
writing erotica and erotic romance since 1991/

born again fountain pen addict
http://www.portiadacosta.com

#24 jordanjay29

jordanjay29

Certified Accumuluser

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 434 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 25 July 2015 - 16:34

So, I've learnt that the Eco seems to be a slightly dryish writer that flourishes with a wetter ink. :)

Maybe Pelikan Edestein Amethyst was a bad choice for a first fill, then. :P

#25 PortiaDaCosta

PortiaDaCosta

Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 104 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 25 July 2015 - 17:28

Maybe Pelikan Edelstein Amethyst was a bad choice for a first fill, then. :P

I dunno... but it'll certainly look gorgeous in the barrel! :)

I've got Amethyst but I've only tried it in wetter pens so far. Let us know how it fares in the Eco.

I just looked at the two 1.1s through a loupe and the nib of the black one is visually broader.

PORTIA DA COSTA
writing erotica and erotic romance since 1991/

born again fountain pen addict
http://www.portiadacosta.com

#26 elevennx

elevennx

Extremely Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 255 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 26 July 2015 - 17:21

Any chance the nib from a Pilot Metropolitan could be swapped into the Eco? 

#27 Mathematics Teacher

Mathematics Teacher

Mint

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPip
  • 90 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 27 July 2015 - 16:34

Just noticed that Pendleton Brown (http://pendletonspen...Sale/index.html) is offering his Butter Line Stub (BLS) on a limited supply of TWSBI Ecos, for the fair price of $71 plus shipping.

Getting a BLS is on my short list, but I'm not sure I want my best nib on the Eco.

#28 Lamyrada

Lamyrada

Super Witch

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 580 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 27 July 2015 - 17:17

I a thinking about ordering an ECO,but don't understand the desire to change the nibs. I myselk like to leave them as original as possible. I have two minis with their TWSBI nibs and I am very satisfied with them, But, to the point... I would like to know about the writing experiences with the ECO fine nibs.

It looks rather odd shaped on the cap, though for that price and functionality it seems to be a no-brainer.  Would I be wasting my time with the ECO or should I order a 580? I am looking at a F or SF nib if available. I like the ECO has such an ink storage capacity but don't know how much different it is from the others. 

Edited by Lamyrada, 27 July 2015 - 17:17.

#29 VinnyCordeiro

VinnyCordeiro

Near Mint

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPip
  • 48 posts

Posted 28 July 2015 - 01:39

About the nib swapping, just as reminder, we use different feeders to control the ink flow of stub 1.1 vs others B,M,F,EF. 

Stub 1.1 feeder got slightly heavier ink flow, so please don't mix up these two type of feeders. Cannot tell from the look outside, but you should be able to see the different in writing.

Cheers

speedy

Does that applies to all TWSBI pens or just the Eco?

#30 Strombomboli

Strombomboli

I can't write with ballpoint pens

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 426 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 01 August 2015 - 21:06

I put in a #5 nib from Italix, and it was simple to put in.

Could you please explain which nib that is? On the MrPen website, all nibs have names, none have numbers, so I don't know which ones you actually mean. Are they the ones in the section "Italix 'Original' and Originalis Nib Sections and Spares"?

Edited by Strombomboli, 01 August 2015 - 21:07.

Iris

My avatar is a painting by Ilya Mashkov (1881-1944): Self-Portrait; 1911, which I photographed in the New Tretyakov Gallery in Moscow.

#31 weedbreeder

weedbreeder

Dipped Only

• Member - Silver

• Pip
  • 5 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 18 August 2015 - 08:06

It's bound to happen. TWSBI eco with Sailor 1911s gold nib and Pelikan M200ss nib. Sorry for the poor quality. It was taken using a cp.

Attached Images

• PSX_20150818_160421.jpg

#32 Lamyrada

Lamyrada

Super Witch

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 580 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 18 August 2015 - 12:33

If I were to put another nib I would put a better nib, not a lesser known or lesser quality. But... Why buy a twsbi to change the nib? It is not then, a twsbi. It is good as it is. Better buy an Indian tube ED and attach whatever nib, your preference. I dislike all frankenpens. I have done it to my later regret.it feels like I am betraying something.

#33 weedbreeder

weedbreeder

Dipped Only

• Member - Silver

• Pip
  • 5 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 19 August 2015 - 02:15

If I were to put another nib I would put a better nib, not a lesser known or lesser quality. But... Why buy a twsbi to change the nib? It is not then, a twsbi. It is good as it is. Better buy an Indian tube ED and attach whatever nib, your preference. I dislike all frankenpens. I have done it to my later regret.it feels like I am betraying something.

To each his own I would say.

#34 GHigley

GHigley

Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 190 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 21 August 2015 - 01:10

A friend gave me an Eco today with a nib he damaged trying to make it write.  I've been able to adjust it so it does, but it will never be a good nib.  It would cost nearly the price of the pen to buy a nib for the Classic/Mini.  I've several FPR nibs I could try, but I've not been pleased with their performance. What would be other reasonably priced alternatives?    

Edited by GHigley, 21 August 2015 - 01:39.

#35 jordanjay29

jordanjay29

Certified Accumuluser

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 434 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 23 August 2015 - 17:37

A friend gave me an Eco today with a nib he damaged trying to make it write.  I've been able to adjust it so it does, but it will never be a good nib.  It would cost nearly the price of the pen to buy a nib for the Classic/Mini.  I've several FPR nibs I could try, but I've not been pleased with their performance. What would be other reasonably priced alternatives?    

XFountainpens.com has a few Knox nibs that are priced around the same.

#36 TSherbs

TSherbs

Donor Pen

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,783 posts

Posted 23 August 2015 - 18:20

My Knox nibs purchased from them were pretty bad. Not bothering with that again.

#37 TSherbs

TSherbs

Donor Pen

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,783 posts

Posted 23 August 2015 - 18:22

I kind of agree, but sometimes we swap out of economic necessity (or prudence) with the materials that we already have. When a pen body breaks, I save any other part that I can. They come in useful and stay out of the waste cycle in the environment.

#38 Lamyrada

Lamyrada

Super Witch

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 580 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 23 August 2015 - 18:37

I kind of agree, but sometimes we swap out of economic necessity (or prudence) with the materials that we already have. When a pen body breaks, I save any other part that I can. They come in useful and stay out of the waste cycle in the environment.

You havea good point. I almost never break anything but sometimes, really bad pens have something that can be saved. :-)

Edited by Lamyrada, 23 August 2015 - 18:38.

#39 Lamyrada

Lamyrada

Super Witch

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 580 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 23 August 2015 - 18:38

My Knox nibs purchased from them were pretty bad. Not bothering with that again.

Agree!

The pens, idem.

#40 Lamyrada

Lamyrada

Super Witch

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 580 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 23 August 2015 - 18:40

The ED I bought from ASA pens has been OK so far. maybe you can find a nib there.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: twsbi, eco, nibs, change, switch, size, alternative, remove

Sponsored Content

|